Would you buy Bose?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by flimbo, Sep 21, 2011.

?

Would you buy Bose?

1. Yes

18.8%
  2. No

81.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    So you're saying that even if you're not very good at building speakers they'll still sound better than Bose.

2. elvizzz

elvizzz Active Member

GPU:
    DC II T 670 GTX
    yes i do maybe the wont look so good but take your time and you get some thing nice and i have build speaker. cheap one's and speakers in the range 8000.00 Euro
    example a jamo speaker 800 gld used a philips woofer 25,00 gulden, a tweeter so bad just used a other one

so
    jamo 800.0
    woofer 25.00 50.00
    tweeter 25.00 50.00
    filter "can be as expensive as you want" 60.00
    wood "mdf is de best hmm marble is bether" and paind 40.00
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    200.00 so 25%

3. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Actually, I think the DIY speakers can look infinitely better than any Bose speaker.

[​IMG]

WANT.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    For full range sound you need two way speakers, like the ones above, one for treble and one for mid range, bass is handled by a subwoofer.

Those small one way sats seen on Bose and other systems have little midrange and IIRC, most musical content resides in the midrange and human hearing is also the most sensitive to this range so if your speakers are lacking in that area you have a serious problem with your sound quality.

Some also like towers which have their own bass driver.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Umm, no comment...:biggun:

6. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    lol it looks English, sounds English but just doesn't make any sense.

7. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    try overnight sensations i built 4x for 244 shipped inc the cab.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    I guess with all the people saying that one's own impression of how speakers sound is basically based on the sound systems they've heard so far..... nobody has ever looked at the idea that unless you've actually been somewhere where they have JUST the Bose speakers set up (I'm not talking like at Best Buy's "Magnolia Theater" or some crap like that... mean like a Bose store with the separate, basically sound-proofed rooms, or in someone's house)... everything can be affecting how they sound to YOU.

Rob: In regards to my previous post.... he was basically saying that Bose is crap... but the Bose he heard in the BMW was great. Bose is Bose. Doubt they do entirely that much different in a car than they do for a home theater, at least in terms of how the speakers are built. As i said, he probably heard Bose speakers somewhere that there was other "noise pollution"... while the BMW was probably either at a dealer, or owned by someone he knows... where there generally ISN'T a lot of that.

In regards to your comment about having a "serious problem" with sound quality if you don't have dedicated mids.... You also somewhat answered your own statement unintentionally. "Some also like towers which have their own bass driver". And when people are using towers, how often do you see them with a sub? Almost never. sound systems with compact speakers are preferred probably by the majority of people, because either they just don't like the look of having speaker towers or relatively large speaker boxes around their room.... or they just want to have something that can be hidden out of sight, and out of mind. But if you look at a lot of the speakers in these compact systems.... hell, even in PC speaker sets.... they're not quite small enough to be a tweet... yet not quite big enough to be considered a mid. They're settled kind of in between. Right now i'm looking at my Logitech Z-5500's.... and while they're not GOD in sound quality.... for the price, i've yet to be unimpressed with them no matter what i've heard come out of them. Never heard issues with any range of music, movie soundtrack... or game sounds. But the Bose setup in the living room still sounds better.

9. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    I had this DIY audio system: a power amp (150W RMS), a pair of 3 ways speakers, and a 24 channels equalizer. Bought all the PCBs and components, and soldered them my self. They cost me only ~ $150

The amp died several years ago. I could fix it, but too lazy to do it.

The system, with some equalization, sounded much better than my logitech z-5300.

I don't use them anymore because the speaker cabinets are very big, my room is very small, and the wife came in..

10. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    $150 for the whole speaker (including housing/foam/etc.), or $150 per driver, or.. ? I'm looking at them right now and they're $484 per speaker. Each woofer is $127.

11. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Depending on what you are going to use them for. If your making music then NO. Bose are known for jazzing up your sound so what you put in doesn't always sound the same as what comes out. For general use thou i guess there ok. personally wouldn't buy a pair!

12. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    $ 150 was for the whole thing, amp, pair of speakers, and equalizer. It was quite long time ago and a lot cheaper back then. Besides, it was more like a school project, so they were not built with high quality parts.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Car speakers are much different then little HT sats....think about it.
    A statement doesn't require an answer. However, if you require more explanation:
    I know many people that use towers because they want full range sound without worrying about the sub.
    With tower speakers you don't require a subwoofer because they have a bass driver, pretty sure I mentioned that point.
    Other I know have bookshelf and subwoofers as it is just a different way to get the same thing. However, if your sats don't have the proper drivers...you're out of luck.

I like a compact system also for use with my PC but I won't sacrifice sound quality.
    If you think you can get full range sound out of those tiny sats, you are dreaming. Z-5500's suffer from the same issue as the Bose.
    If your driver is somewhere in the "middle", the you still have holes in the response...you don't have the proper response for the mids or the treble.
    People have different tastes and budgets I guess so enjoy your Bose and Logitechs.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  14. elvizzz

elvizzz Active Member

GPU:
    DC II T 670 GTX
    1.buged
    2.find a site for speakers unit's
    3.brands davis/eton/HiVi Research/pearles/monacor ect
    4.Thiel/ Small parameters for the one's who like to build it the right way
    4b.wood mdf 18mm best with siliconkid and softboard 10mm like a sandwithes but you can also use 9mm or flex mdf for round shapes
    5.look ad the specs of a unit"sample filter 12db cut off ad 2000hz/150 watts rated power handling but if you up the crossover frequency to lets say 3000hz the power handling goes way up"
    6.filters can be found over the net if your not fussy use them
    7.those kits are more expansive but you can use there specs for filters,units the panels ect.
    8.have fun

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    For cars, Bose tailors the sound to each car. they measure reflections, internal cabin volume and do proper time delay..etc. Thats why they sound good in cars and do not sell aftermarket audio for cars...cause they would get anhilated and to compete would cost them a fortune compared to say JL audio, Hertz mille...etc.

Plus you have JBL's MS8 processors that do all that stuff for you automatically now, use any speakers you want.

just don't swap them with a $150 pair of bookshelf speakers and watch the movie. lol

Most amazing setup i ever heard for the price consisted of a Yahmaha reciever..not sure the model and two Cerwin Vega towers that had a 15" sub, 8" mid and 2" tweeter and freaking pounded every wall in the house...all for around $1000 i think it was and thats been years.
    Naturally there are far more extravogant setups out there with better accuracy but to feel your hair move during an explosion for $1000 is interesting.

you can get kits that have all you need. granted the speakers likely arnt made using the best techniques, materials or nothing, accuracy and clarity can be lost at high volumes easily with most typical stuff out there. Research on theile parameters and box building is necessary.

though i did have a Klipsche 5.1 for PC years ago hooked to my TV that blew away my friends bose ...i forget the model, the one they made years ago using the T line accoustimass with 3 5.5" drivers.

Now i think bose gone back to the bandbass designs for the module didnt they? funny bose wont ever tell how many watts their built in amp does but last i knew, it measured 200 watts rms

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Having built speaker enclosures and doing all the math and other mumble jumble I was given a set of BOSE speakers years ago, the model number slips my mind, they were the best they offered at the time though, well we got into taking them apart and looking at them; they were designed well for the components they held. Sound wise they were OK, nothing great and like others have said if I were to have paid for them there is a lot better out there.

In the end I got a nice set of Paradigm speakers, also for free, that blew the BOSE away.

I was young and the BOSE speakers met a horrible death, I could have sold them, I got them for free, but being really smashed one night I sledge hammered them to death with a couple of buddies, funny part is I look back on it with a smile, not smashing them because they weren't of value, just remembering three buddies all wrecked and the laugh we had out of it.

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    F1refly: Hertz speakers freakin ROCK. Actually have a pair of HSK-165's in my Smart with a 190w amp. Not quite as great as the Mille line is.... but also nowhere near the price. Still fantastic, though.

18. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

So were you talking about the exact kit I linked, or just saying that you had built a speaker for $150?

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If I read it right he was talking about a price a long time ago so it really doesn't matter if you are buying them now.

20. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    I was answering that question, not referring to your link
    If I'm not mistaken that question is intended to me right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.