Would this work? 80mm fan ontop of 9800 pro?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ArChAnGeLv7, Jun 3, 2004.

1. ArChAnGeLv7

ArChAnGeLv7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA nvidia 7800GTX 256MB
    So I'm trying to play FarCry @ 1280X960 w/ max details....I can currently get 1152X862 with only two scenes that dip below 30 fps. Anyways...I'd like to play it @ 1280X960 cuz I have a 19inch monitor, and anything below this looks rather..well..grainy. So the idea popped into my head to use this extra 80mm fan I have laying around, and place it ontop of the video card to help keep it cool and possibly be able to oc my card a bit more. My question is, will putting the fan on the card risk shocking it or send a jolt through it? Also, if anyone else has tried this, or just knows...which would be better? Placing the fan to blow air at the card to cool it, or away from the card to suck up the heat? I plan on getting a x800 pro whenever the heck they become available in retail, so I'm getting a bit ballsy with this card....but if it's going to fry it...I'll pass, as I'd like to give this card away once I get the x800. Thanks in advance.

2. davelar

davelar Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 Pro
    I would guess that would all depend on how you plan to mount the fan. If you are going to mount the fan above the card I would attach the fan directly to the case using the screw downs for the cards. I've had the most luck blowing air onto the card. As for shocking the card or putting a jolt through it I do not believe there is much a risk in that, unless your fan is made of some material other than plastic.

3. JRS

JRS Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 6800GT @ 380, 1050
    I have a Tt 80mm fan lying on top of the top heatsink on my 5950 to cool the memory down - definitely works!

4. Kenshai

Kenshai Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT / 479/790
    works alot better if its mounted, putting it flat on makes the cfm ****.