would this cpu do any difference ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jacktharippares, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jacktharippares

jacktharippares Member

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    so as you might have noticed over there <------------ my cpu is ancient

and my graphics card is brand new so this creates a huge bottleneck and i knew this before i bought the card and i have been planning to buy a new system for a while.. maybe a new socket 1156 core i5 750 based system
    but i wont do that for at least a couple of months.

Question is down here if you dont want to read the long text :p
    so my question to you is would an amd athlon 64 4200 - 4800+ x2 make any difference to my performance or would my pc still have a huge bottleneck?

im not affraid of overclocking as im running my old single core at oc'd at 2.7 ghz. im not sure about the speed of those cpu's as i heard that you need like over 3 ghz to eliminate a bottleneck but as they are x2 will it make a difference?

any help would be appreciated :book:

2. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Since im guessing you're looking for a cost effective solution why not try a cheap Phenom II cpu/mobo/ram combo? Anyway, i5 is still a mighty good choice, just not as cost effective as Phenom II.

3. jacktharippares

jacktharippares Member

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    i would rather get a core i5 in a couple of months but i found a very cheap amd 4200+ x2 so should i go for it or just wait a couple of months and get a core i5?

4. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    No matter which one you get an Athlon X2 will bottleneck your system. You need to go for one of the newer architectures like an Athlon II or Phenom II. I'd recommend the low end Athlon II X4 630, it's cheap and more than enough for gaming.

5. jacktharippares

jacktharippares Member

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    okay thanks .. im gonna wait then