Would there be any problem if I get a Freesync (but G-Sync compatible) monitor with my Nvidia GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Sep 14, 2020.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I'm thinking of upgrading to a 4K panel and some of them are way cheaper with Freesync VS G-Sync. In particular the model I'm looking at has the description: "NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible with AMD FreeSync Premium Pro".

I've seen a couple monitors that state that, but if it's in any way an inferior experience to G-Sync then it "may" be worth it to just cough up the extra money for "true" G-Sync. For some further context I'm running a 3900X with a 2080 Super GPU.

Anyway, just wanted to ask about it here in case anyone knew -- thanks for your help and time!

2. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    "Freesync Premium Pro" lmao

I don't think monitors equiped with G-SYNC are more expensive just because of its validation. There is other things to it, generally more premium models overall, at least in my country.

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Actual GSYNC screens with the module are still marginally better, but they cost a lot more, so it may not be worth the difference. Instead of a generic answer, maybe it would be best to find a freesync/gsync review of your particular screen.

4. trancers

trancers Member

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2080
    1440p is better for 2080 and maybe 3080 is enough for 4k gaming

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I have G-Sync compatible monitor now, no hitches/glitches. I am very glad. But I can`t compare with pure G-Sync since I have never got one.

Blackfyre and BlindBison like this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks for the replies everybody! That's helpful to know

Buccellati likes this.
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    A lot of free sync monitors without the gsync module can have flickering or black screen problems.

Recently bought a AOC 27in 144hz Curved G2 monitor( great deal considering specs) for a budget build.

I noticed it has random blanking when the FPS goes too low. The monitor goes black totally for a split second.

quite annoying and the fix is to raise the minimum G-Sync range up by a few hz.

The monitor works great after that. Flickering/black screen seems too common to be a hardware issue with my monitor.
    Compared to my acer xb271hu it never has problems like that. Uses a real gsync module.

BlindBison likes this.
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @Agent-A01 Thanks! That's really useful info -- good to know that solution worked for you and I'll give it a try if I run into something similar down the line.

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    Can be your Pascal card, I had the same issue with the non-curved version and GTX 1070 (despite of DP firmware update). Issue disappeared with Turing and Polaris cards.

VA monitors btw. always have brightness flicker when there is bad frame time consistency, not matter if with or without any Nvidia label. Some are worse than others though.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    What you'll want to look at is your VRR/FreeSync range and ensure your FPS are above that range at all times or you might get flickering when jumping in and out of VRR range rapidly. One benefit of a monitor with a proper G-Sync module (not G-Sync compatible) is that the VRR range starts at 1 Hz, so in theory you can drop down to 1 FPS without experiencing flickering. That said, in practice you can still experience such if the monitor has drastically different brightness values at different Hz and your framerate fluctuates wildly. It greatly depends on the monitor and model as well, though.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    That is not correct. As shown by pcper analysis, monitors with gsync module also do rapid refresh rate switches with frame doubling when falling below certain thresholds. "1Hz gsync" is just marketing. Though there is no flickering in such cases when drivers/display output handle LFC well enough (which they do on Turing and Radeons with a VRR range of >= 2.5x). I tested this in multiple games with the AOC Q27G2U/BK and there was zero flickering when frame rates smoothly increase and decrease a lot.

So basically the only advantage of displays with gsync module, apart from guaranteed LFC, is adaptive overdrive . But again, that's a very marginal one.

BlindBison likes this.
  12. alexbirdie

alexbirdie New Member

GPU:
    zotac 2080 super am
    I had an 27"-monitor from asus. Is a freesync-mon. and was one of the first monitors with "g-sync-compatible"-certificate from nvidia.

Very good, no issues, monitor is now used by my son, satisfied, too.

Now I own a samsung odysse 32" g7 ( freesync and g-sync-compatible), and again no problems with my 2080S.

No idea, what might be better with original g-sync-only monitors.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Have a certified Gsync compatible monitor from Asus and not a hitch.

Go for it.

BlindBison likes this.
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks for all the replies everybody, really helpful!

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Well I tested the monitor with three separate systems.

Main PC, 1080ti, 1060 budget build and my laptop which has a 1660Ti.

The black screen happens on each of them.
    Playing escape from tarkov, the loading screen causes frame drops and it black screens repeatedly. But it also does it in-game when going below a certain FPS.

I've tested NV's Gsync pendulum test and it will never black screen in that despite how much you play around with FPS.

The only solution was to increase the minimum freesync floor via CRU by +2.
    Personally I think it's just an inherit issue of being a 'cheaper' monitor.

And yes I am aware that VAs have flickering issues. A bit annoying but it's not near as annoying as blank screens.

The black screens would happen even above the freesync range.
    It commonly occurred near the floor which for this monitor is 48hz I believe.

Perhaps the monitor can't handle anything below 50hz or it just needs a firmware update. Who knows.

BlindBison likes this.

16. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    And the well known low latency, since all monitors (of the same G-Sync branding and generation) get the same module from nV whereas FreeSync displays use some "random" chipset+firmware which could be a bit more elusive (not neccesserely any worse than nV's module but it's technically an unknown number until somebody caries out some measurements and/or the manufacturer cares to include these kind of hard numbers on the specification page of the given product and you decide to believe [nV is a bit easier to trust in this case]).

BlindBison likes this.