Would Pirates Have Bought Crysis ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 29, 2008.

1. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    Yeah, great idea Einstein, why don't you type it up for all to see :)

Yeah, then when you see the $50 in my kitchen you think...."screw being dumb and working for it, I can just steal it!" lmao

Ahhh those organisations that help eh? More like you're as dumb as you make out we are and give most of your money to ppl who pretend to help whilst really they're just milking you. Pffft who's the dummy now? lol

I'm not actually part of NATO so I'll sleep easier tonight :)

Happy shoplifting :)

2. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Dude, it's OK to disagree with someone, but you'll get yourself banned this way before you can say "eurokrem". Besides, as one of the few representatives of Serbia on this forum, you're giving the rest of us a bad name, so calm down and unsubscribe yourself from this thread. It's not worth getting all worked up about, believe me... Smiri se druze... This is one of the if not the greatest hardware forums on the net. So what if someone disagrees with you and calls you a thief... who cares. It's not as if they live in your street.

3. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    neurokrem-rs
    I think you should tone down a bit, otherwise your stay here will be short.

VultureX
    Imo, we spend alot of money for a graphics card, and a monitor, not to play at old gen resolutions, i'd prefer to play it at a 1440x900+ resolution because it gives a better feel to the game, it's a shame that Crysis ran like bollocks, also, i ran with a 8800GTS 640MB, and it hardly ran Crysis @ Medium, smoothly, this i was very agrovated about that... Lets hope Far Cry 2 runs better with our rigs.

4. the_mad_medic

the_mad_medic Guest

GPU:
    cirrus logic isa, 512kb

Neurokrem, you can afford decent hardware then you can afford some games. Why should others buy games just so you can freeload with your pirate copies.
    You don't have to buy a game the day they come out you could just wait a few months till it drops in price.
    Check out steam sometimes they have special offers some bargin games can be had for less than $10

Or if your really bored, play could get yourself some free legal games. www.gameupdates.org and reloaded are reloaded.org host some.

Although I've never been to Serbia. I've visited some neighbouring countries, Albania, Croatia, and served with the British Army in Bosnia and Kosovo. I've seen some older legal games go for less than 10 euros their. However I can understand the temptation to get an illegal copy when they cost around 3 euros and are available in many stores.

The rest of your posts I believe your either trolling or completely ignorant.
    Your comments about NATO is bull and I wont comment on that any further.

p.s I apologise to everyone else. I don't usually post on this forum let alone reply to such flame bait. :bang:

5. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I agree, and also with what moh. said. Overhyped piece of ****...
    Far Cry on the other hand was wonderful, and I bet Far Cry 2 will be aswell :)

6. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    It's the problem with massive entertainment, i'm always amazed by the quality of console graphics, the accesible playability. But then, at 80%, they all fail, because all games tend to be the same. I worked selling games (original and pirated ones) a lot of years since 92', and played since i was young.

But i also like science and reading a lot, and most games i tried got me bored, because you see the pattern, lot of investment in tech like graphics, then you have levels, keys, search the key, open the closed door, there you go, you saved the world, have a candy.

Some people say the best game in the world, it's nethack, that even doesn't have graphics, and even when it's arguable, what everyone could easily accept is that fps have today a horrible short life catching attention.

One of the best games i ever played was "A mind forever voyaging" it was cinematic without graphics, and would put lots of wannabe classic science fiction movies to shame.

The bigger problem with fps like crysis, is that you can't use creativity nor intelligence, you just navigate throw a labyrinth that looks like an island, and through the "keys" to open stages like ancient times.

I want to use fancy physics to modify the ambient, to ambush, to build things, i don't know, they need to figure it out how to make TRULY nonlinear gameplay. Today the only way to get unpredictable results it's online gaming.

I could easily live with directx8.1 graphics if physics could be revolutionary. IE: ragdoll physics not when the enemy got killed, but everytime they get hit, modifying his intentions, running, or accuracy. Imagine de_dust2 in counter strike source where you could make a blockade with boxes, the heavy machine guns would eventually make holes in walls, something different that trying to make the first headshot.

It looks like i don't have a point, well, gaming industry hardly has a good one, with honorable exceptions.

Piracy it's not ok, btw, but it's worst as an excuse for underachievement

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    an no again...since the REAL point of all this is the actual reality. the fact that PC exclusives are dying out. the fact that we have to deal with DRM issues/hassles. the fact that consoles are starting to recieve first class treatment and pc versions come out months later

the excuses and opinions or cryteks crying is not going to solve the above problem.
    its the game industries outlook of the PC platform which is based on statistics of downloaded content.

there are many areas of blame, crap games are just a small part but at least man up to being partly responsible

it seems all the piraters do is make excuses and turn the blame somewhere else and admit to no wrong doing
    i think both parties need to meet halfway. piraters could try downloading a bit less games per month...dont be greedy and likewise companies can make price deals like what steam is trying to do a bit more often, but both parties atm are greedy in different ways

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  8. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    Piracy exists from the very start of informatics, hasn't stopped companies from becoming successful, remember that even when before connections where slower, game sizes where also smaller. There's no logic

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    @neurokrem-rs:
    OK, neurokrem-rs, it took me a little while to react, but all actions are followed by a re-action.

You're banned for 7 days in order to have some time to think about what you said in this thread.

Discussing game piracy can get emotional, I can understand that, but you definitely took it a step too far.

@MOFO64:
    You're getting a warning, too. You shouldn't have insulted either.

@ all the rest:
    Please continue to exchange arguments instead of insults. Otherwise I'll have to close this thread.

10. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Wow great moderator, I left [H]ard Forum because people would get banned or post would get deleted or even worse threads would get closed with no reason. I really respect the approach you took with letting the thread go on and explaining why people got banned and for how long and also leaving the post up to see what type of behaver is not expected. Kudos :banana:

11. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Dude I agree with you totally, my point wasn't really the price but the point I could build a killer freaking PC for 3K but the point is these rigs were the top of the line. I mean tri sli GTX 280's, qx9770's oced to 4.5ghz and 1600mhz ddr3 ram. This tech is high end in every way and almost a year later after crysis was released. Now these rigs still struggle with this game, I am sorry it isn't the rig but the game.

P.S. We need 8k rigs to fool our wifes into letting us build 3k rigs to :biggun: them! I turn to my wife and say look honey i could build this for 5k less and she says ok cool you can save a ton :banana:! The moral I get high end tech and no headache! lol

12. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    indeed, my appologies.

ahh so there's method in your madness afterall :) might try that myself soon ;)

13. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    it works ;) just come up with most viable extreme thing you can think of and when she say no, say well I could get this it is safe.

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The big question is when did the majority of the illegal downloads start. Was it from the get go or was it a progressive thing that picked up speed when

a). Gamers started reporting on mass that the game wasn;t really very good and ran like a right dog on even high end systems
    b). When the developer suddenly dropped support for the original game, with it still in it's flawed state and decided to dig as much cash out of the gamers pocket by releasing a so called add-on.

The reality is Crytek brought a lot of this on themselves. A lot of folk will say that the demo mis-represented the game. People had to pay to get hold of the demo, which was never gonna promote a sense of good feeling for it's customers. The game ended up being far tougher on systems than most people expected.

If they had released a decent length free demo that gave a good representation of game and had spent a bit more time making it so that more people could play it smoothly instead of aiming it at the £2,000 PC market, then perhaps a good few less people would have pirated it.

Let's face it you've heard that the game ain't that good overall and the one big selling point (the graphics) will bring most PC to it's knees. Are you now thinking shall I pay £35 for this game or shall I try and get a pirated copy and try it out?

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I didn't say anything in this discussion so far, but imo you either should buy the game or not. Simple as that.

Just because a game gets bashed by most people, isn't a reason to pirate it.

16. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    true, the game is just ahead of its time and badly coded, just the worst combination, but in fact most people can run it properly. There ain't no low graphics option for nothing.
    Far Cry 2 doesn't look that smooth in the videos... I'll hold my heart.

17. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Its funny, this game gets bashed so much, but it also gets so much publicity its crazy.
    Just the other day, a good friend of mine, was talking to me about building a new PC, his is very very old P4/8x AGP system.
    I asked him what he wanted to do with it, and he said well it does not have to be good enough to play Crysis on highest lvls, I was like Oh ok.
    Now the last FPS game this guy played was UT2004, he was a huge map maker, lot of them are still being played today.
    So even he, who has been out of the loop for 3-4 years knows about Crysis, I think im going to buy the game just to show him how it runs on my system, before we build his.

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Not all Pirates are the same imo, there are those who are called pirates when in reality they just "try before you buy" eg. try the full thing instead of the demo in order to check out the final product and if not up to their taste they simply uninstall the game and in this case i don't think it's a big deal and i wouldn't really call them Pirates in the true sense of the word, they would have bought Crysis.

Then there are Pirates who spend their money only on games they consider "worthy" but they do not uninstal or delete the "no-so-worthy" games from their hard drive, those are what i call the Half-Pirates, they are very aware that what they're doing is wrong and do it out of frustration so they give in to piracy, it's not good but it's far from being the worst, 50% chance they would have bought Crysis.

Finally there are Pirates who won't spend a cent on games, they enjoy piracy and they're not afraid of showing it off wherever they go (Neurokrem is an example), the so called Full-Blown-Pirates, they would NOT have bought Crysis. <------ everything in life should be free. :3eyes:

You sent Neurokrem back to the Neuro? tsk tsk bad boy :devil:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I pirated Crysis because it had too high requiments for my HIGH END PC that time..
    (8800GTS + Core2 3.0Ghz , yes it was high end that time).

I want to add some claryication here.

I had both Vista and XP that time.

I couldnt get at least 30FPS+ all the time on DX9 HIGH XP/VIST( not very ofc), and AA was not a question to consider.

Very high was a joke like 10-20 FPS.

I hope this explains why i pirated it :)

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    well unlike most games Crysis was definitely a chug-o-vision experience on most rigs and was highly unoptimized and rushed out imo, if it was any other game i wouldn't've agreed with you but in this case you did good.

2 games that deserved getting pirated IMO?

Crysis & Assassins Creed, the new Crysis patch did fix many bugs and improved performance (and added new bugs) but at least it's playable now so it's worth spending money on Crysis, if you want to pirate it then do it only to piss off Faruk Yerli. :D