would I need a new PSU for a 980 ti, have a corsair 650 watt

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by deets75, Jun 2, 2015.

1. deets75

deets75 Guest

I do have 4 ssds in the system currently though... the specs says 650 is okay on nvidia, but anyone know if this is going to be close?

2. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Hilberts review rated the power draw at about 330w for full system wattage with GPU in full load (100%). Also he recommends a 600w PSU for running this since that gives you a lot of head room.

GTX 980 Ti Review

3. deets75

deets75 Guest

ah good, nice one thanks!

4. PGHammer

PGHammer New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX550Ti 1024MB
    It's all about the headroom nowadays - the real power-eaters are platter drives (other than the GPU) - in my case, my three platter drives (1TB, 500GB, 80GB) eat more than my GTX550Ti - and will certainly eat more than the ASUS GTX750DirectCU Silent on tap to replace it.

Sounds nuts - but hear me out.

Look at the TDP for a reference GTX550Ti (that's what mine is), then look at the TDP for the DirectCU Silent. Then there is the reality that the Silent requires NO auxiliary power at all - Ye Olde Fermi requires a six-pin power feed from the PSU. And *three* platter drives? Easily explained - the 1TB drive has Windows 10 IP (now my main OS), Windows 8.1 (for VirtualBox only - it has issues on Windows 10 builds above 10000) is on the 80GB drive, while the 500GB drive has OS X (two partitions - one for Yosemite and one for El Capitan). It would have actually been a midrange system five years ago. Other than the platter drives, the GPU is one of just three hardware upgrades I'm looking at this year; the others are CPU (Intel G3258) and motherboard (Z97 is a certainty - still not sure whether to buy new or factory-refurbished; MicroCenter has not done me wrong with factory refurbs yet - my GTX550Ti and Recon3D Fatality Pro are both refurbs, and are still going strong). The RAM I have covered - two 4GB DDR3-1333 sticks I bought when prices were at the floor. I'm keeping drives, case, and everything else. Once those are done I'll consider upgrading one or both of the big platter drives, while retiring the smallest drive altogether (G3258/Z97 supports Hyper-V - therefore, my need for VirtualBox will go away).

5. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 FTW
    There's no way three regular hard drives draw as much as your 550Ti. The 550Ti requires 116 watts and on average hard drives require 9-15 watts during read/write cycles. Less while idling or during sleep. Even if we count spin up which it's possible that a drive can draw 25-30 watts during, that only takes a few seconds. And it's even less likely that you'll have all three spinning up at once.

6. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    Thankfully I bought one of the most power efficient drives (Seagate 8TBx2) with decent speeds. For SLI I think 750watts is the minimum. But since PSU's loose their output over time, it's safe to aim a little higher :)

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    nah man you're good with your 650w