Would a GTX 580 improve my current system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by NeoEnigma, Oct 16, 2011.

1. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    HI!

So you can see my details to the left. The reason I want to (possibly) upgrade my GPU is that... well my 5870 didn't perform that great in the BF3 beta. My performance was acceptable with everything on medium, but I had to run almost no AA and... well I hate not having AA. Also in big firefights, my FPS would drop and the experience definitely was not optimal.

I expect that my system is a bit dated for a 580, but would there be any improvement?

Note that I've NEVER tried to OC a processor. It looks really difficult, time consuming, and I only have an air-cooled tower. Does a Q9550 even OC well?

I won't upgrade my mobo+CPU+RAM until next year some time. I want to get a crazy combo, and that's more costly than just getting a GPU.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Upgrading to a 580 will be an improvement but will be bottlenecked by the cpu at stock as you have guessed most likely.

Dont oc cpu unless you have got an aftermarket cooler (well you could do a baby oc but thats a bit pointless really).

I'd go for the upgrade but also do a rebuild and oc the cpu.

Your cpu should hit 3.8-4ghz with a bit of luck. Plenty of guys around who can help.

Even if you went ahead and got the 580 you could then compare with your previous fps and also see how much ocing would be. I'd reckon a good ten fps or so at least at stock v oc.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I had exactly the same GPU as you earlier this year, nice card & with 2gb framebuffer... But i upgraded to a 570 and that was a big upgrade even, especially for BC2, which was my main game at the time.
    Since ive got my 580 which is obviously even better.

As for the cpu, it may be limiting you a bit in some games, but i cant speak from experience as ive been using i7/i5 cpus for last couple of yrs

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Yes it would be a fairly good upgrade. But ocing to 3.6-3.8 is relatively easy.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have a 480 in a qx9650 4ghz as a back up rig. I gotta say if you have the money for a 580 just upgrade your entire cpu, mb, ram
    a 2500k, a good but cheap 1 16x pcie m/b and some decent 2x2 or 4x 2 rams. that will breathe new life into that 5870 (like getting a gpu upgrade for free)

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    thats actually probably a better idea. and then if you still arent happy with your perf swap out the 5870 for a better gpu.

p.s sell eveything n get a new rig hehe.

(but i reckon that cpu has got some legs in it).

7. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Id say if he wants play BF3 like he stated in his first post, a 580 would be better for him, rather than keep the 5870 and upgrade the rest of his rig.

I know it was beta, but the techreport and legion hardware performance analysis of BF3 both showed the CPU wasn't that important - as long as it was quad core obviously. IIRC both showed a Phenom 2 X4 965 keeping identical framerates with a 2600k for the same graphics card

Bottom line, of you want best BF3 experience, upgrade GPU first..no question.
    If you want the faster system for other tasks in general, do the CPU route.

8. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    I can afford to spend $600 right now. When I rebuild my CPU\Mobo\RAM, I want to do a complete system rebuild (Solid State, new tower, etc).

Sounds like a GPU upgrade would help, but not as much as it would if I had the CPU power to back it up.

I don't have an aftermarket cooler, and overclocking still seems scary. Is there a good one you guys would recommend? I might look into it...

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Just an option to save some money, look at the 570 instead of the 580 and put the money saved towards the aftermarket cooler with some left over for your future system upgrade. A 570 will offer almost the same performance as the 580 when paired with your current cpu.

The Q9550 is a fun chip to clock, most will do 3.4 - 3.8.

As for which cooler, really depends on the amount of clearance your case has. Smaller case with lower height clearance will limit what is available to you and effectiveness of its cooling performance.

Personally, this is what I would do...

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I have to agree with above, the 5870 with 2gb is no slouch and performs very well in bf3 so if you aren't even able to run bf3 at medium settings then there is something else a miss, that gpu should be handling bf3 at all high 1920x1200 with an easy 60+ fps.

So following TK's suggestion should eliminate any other issues/bottlenecks you might be facing and you'll see a nice improvement in many games anyway which would improve your overall pc experience to very close to if you had only upfraded the gpu and you'll be able to upgrade to a better gpu at a later time without the need to very about potential bottlenecks.

11. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Don't listen to the guys telling you to upgrade your cpu. Most modern games are gpu limited even Athlon x3s do well in BF3.

There's no harm in grabbing an cheap artic freezer cpu cooler and winding the clocks up a bit on your cpu though. It would be rude not to on your mb.

12. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    a sli of 560ti would be a faster alternative to the 580 and give you 590 performance for 2/3 of the price. it still a worthy upgrade even if you can begin to feel the bottlenecking, it's probably the last worthy GPU upgrade you couldl do on a C2Q platform.

i have a Q9650@4ghz+790I board, tried a friend 560TI sli and had +8K on 3Dmark11, he's reaching 10K with a 2500K@4.8ghz. you can begin to feel a little bottleneck but nothing too bad.

13. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
  14. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I'd be worried about a shortage of vram though.

15. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    no need to, there's 2GB version ;) recommand you the MSI twin frozr ll they're exellent. it ran metro 2033 and crysis 2 DX11 high settings 60fps rock solid on a a C2Q Oo

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    The 560ti will be memory bandwidth bottlenecked way before it gets to use the 2gb at any acceptable fps, it would be helpfull to see a 560ti 2gb owner post a screenshot of memory usage in something like crysis 2 with maldo's texture mod to confirm this.

17. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I've got a Twin Frozer 580gtx at minute, and they are good. I'm a single gpu guy though, SLI just doesn't feel right to me regardless of FPS. Micro stutter drives me nuts.

18. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    No it wouldn't, what the hell are you on about? SLI effectively doubles available bandwidth.

19. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    i thought aswell but it's not the case, in fact, you gain anything from OCing the ram until you OC the GPU core by quite a bit, meaning the GPU is actually the bottleneck even in sli. i bet you'd need to watercool them to start to see the vram bandwith limitation.

in metro 2033 in very high+AAx4 i had 45FPS but 1440MB of Vram usage in the first outdoor scene, so 2gb of Vram can defenetly be used. haven't tried Crysis 2 Maldo but Crysis 1 with Rigel texture pack and bunch of other HD stuff like grass, rock, nano armor, weapons and bunch of other shaders mods, again the Vram came quite handy.
    my guess it'll be even more evident on anti aliasing, but defo if you're about to upgrade now better have a little vram to spare than be short already IMO :)

now if you really prefer a single gpu solution, in that case you may consider a ATI, as long as you don't have to deal with their crossfire profile they offer exellent value for the money and you'll avoid 90% of the problem people have with them.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    A very immature comment, in sli the memory is mirrored so the actual data being processed to memory also doubles nullifying any memory bandwidth increase.

The only improvement sli brings is that the gpu processing power increases allowing for uptake of any already unused memory bandwidth.

Totally agree on having more vram then less, but I'm still not convinced the gtx 560ti 2gb can use the 2gb vram while maintaining a reasonable fps. The reason why I mentioned maldo's mod is because it uses all of my 2gb vram and even at ultra settings enabled through the mod I'm getting 40-50 fps average and as the ati cards have 30-50 Gb/s more memory bandwidth than the 560 ti and it performs close to a 6950 it would a decent way of determining any bandwidth limitations.