1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth waiting for Pascal ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Blyths, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Blyths

Blyths New Member

GPU:
    r9 270 X 2gb
    Hi all,

Am due a full new build & monitor which i had planned for mid feb and planned to use a 980 ti graphics card.

Should i wait the new Pascal based GPU ? i think they are due first quarter prob april so would mean holding off a couple of months.

Kind Regards
    PB

2. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    All I know is my gut says maybe.

But in all seriousness, you want an upgrade now or a (slightly) bigger upgrade later.

3. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    I hear Pascal is supposed to be a larger leap in performance than the usual... hope so.

Could always upgrade other things then wait on the graphics card.

4. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I wouldn´t expect big leaps from the first wave of gimped pascals, most likely they are gonna milk 16nm as much as they can. Actually I´m expecting a line of maxwell rebrands outside the high end. 980ti>gtx1080, 980>1070, 970>1060, and so on.

5. GooRoo 3D

GooRoo 3D Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX-570 PE-OC x2 SLI
    You should A B S O L U T E L Y wait.

When the Pascal series becomes available, you'll need to decide if you want to purchase the lower models using an upgraded version of GDDR5 memory chips, or the upper models which will utilize the superior HBM2 memory chips.

Regardless, wait and take advantage of variations for the newest technologies.

When the Pascal cards are released, I'm sure there will be plenty of performance comparisons between Maxwell and the new Pascal cards. Besides, with the introduction of the new Pascal series, the older Maxwell cards should be cheaper, as the different brand manufacturers clear-out their old inventory.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I would buy now and wait to upgrade to the next gen Pascal

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    You're upgrading your CPU etc as well i hope? no way you could run a Pascal GPU with that Q6600.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    980ti is an awesome GPU Pascal will be better but is still unknown I got the 980ti and will wait for 2nd gen HBM so that all the 1st gen problems are fixed.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm waiting for Pascal/AMD equivalent. I assembled this Skylake PC just a week ago.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The OP says he is due for a full system and monitor upgrade.

OP it is up to you. To me it all depends on what Nividia's decision would be with GDDR5X memory and the HBM2 memory is going to be as far as all or some of the cards go with some using GDDR5X memory and some using HBM2 memory or all cards using GDDR5X memory.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    There's always something better just around the corner. The problem here is, sure Pascal may be a great new architecture, but there is no way Nvidia will release a card that is 2x-3x faster than the current generation. That will kill future business. The first gen Pascal will probably be faster than the current cards but not by as much as everyone is hoping. If they release a card that is that much faster, they would basically lose out on a year worth of product milking.

12. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    im waiting on pascal. The performance benefit from what i've read claims its going to be really good.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Could be a 6+ month wait. Release mid-2016 I believe.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Most likely. I guess it will keep to the timing Maxwell had: Q2 the first cards, Q3 followed by the bigger chips, and in all it's anything up to 3 months for the custom cards to follow.

Still waiting for Volta, Pascal might get big performance boosts compared to Maxwell, but even a single big Voltag GPU won't make 4K gaming user's worries disappear (with only one card).

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    One should take note that 14/16nm transistors are more costly than 28nm. Therefore you should expect higher initial price for chip with similar transistor count. And we may expect nVidia to ask premium for improved power efficiency.
    Unless Pascal brings like 20~30% performance boost per transistor, it would be better to buy GPU now.

980Ti/Fury X are both capable to deliver good performance on 4K with very good level of detail.
    If you go for 1440p screen, those GPUs are just fine and you may live with it till 14/16nm matures enough (decreased price, increased clock).

16. GPU

GPU Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780scsli ek 2x655 ek
    no one knows but looking at maxwell

rough maxwell release time lines
    gtx 750 feb 2014
    gtx 979-980 sep 2014
    gtx 980 ti may 2015

so 15 months it took to get the top maxwell card [sub $ 1k.] on 28nm that had matured
    so best case using a new process if released in apr. 2016 would be mid 2017 ?

or a 980ti = apr.2016 + 7 months ?

17. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    If you can afford to buy a 980ti 6gb now and still be able to rma or sell it when Pascal comes out, depending on how the two compare, then go for it.Bare in mind though the 980ti may be prone to gimping (780ti vs 970) :wanker:....I'm waiting for Pascal and/or Greenland.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Waiting for Pascal myself.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    From what you have, yes. I would upgrade your cpu, ram and mainboard first.

20. Blyths

Blyths New Member

GPU:
    r9 270 X 2gb
    Thanks for your thoughts guys,

Think since it could be summer before we see the new GPU's, i will prob get a 980 ti in feb, then will upgrade when the new GPU's get established.

I plan to get a 2560 x 1440 monitor so plenty of grunt for that.