Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by EAK, Nov 27, 2015.
I have a HD 6950 2GB. Thinking of buying a GTX 970. How much of an improvement will i see???
a huge improvement in gpu bound games, but with that CPU, you will not be seeing 60 fps in many newer, cpu limited games.
I had a qx9650 at 4ghz and it held back a 580 years ago, I think a 970 with that cpu is a disaster in waiting. I suggest upgrading cpu, memory and mb and buy a cheap used card like a 780 or 780ti or a used 290 or 290x.
From what I've seen while researching for this on the net and Youtube, the QX9650 @ 3.7Ghz doesn't keep up with a GTX 970 or similar GPU all the time. However, the player definatelly notice improvements over the HD6950. The CPU gets ~50% out of the GPU in a worst case scenario - which is still better performance than a HD6950 -, but, most of the time, the GPU will be in the 80-99% usage range.
If I were you, I would grab the card now and upgrade the system platform as soon as possible.
If you don't mind to buy used hardware, you could get a 780(Ti) or 290(X), upgrade to the X58 platform, overclock the CPU to +3,8Ghz and you'll be set for a few more years.
I was planning on building a new rig in february 2016. I figured id buy the card now since i had the cash and they are available. all i need after would be a board, ram, cpu.
Go for it then! You'll not regret it now and most certainly, you'll not regret it in the long run
PS. You could wait for Pascal and get the system first. But, I think Pascal will only drop in the Summer...
Don't do that, get all the parts at the same time since the upgrade is only a couple of months away.
If you have a bank that has a high interest account available (that you can transfer and take money out of any time and has no monthly fee), then open one and keep your computer fund in there. You can then add to it each paycheck, it's an easy way to save up if you keep it aside and not touch it unless it is an absolute dire proper emergency. Not a bad idea to do it for cars either, so you can use it for major services, new battery, decent tyres etc, it's not a cost you have to worry about out of your weekly bills.
Between now and then you might be able to get a better value video card. As I see it though, you probably won't get the benefit out of the 970. Also prices may change, like AMD this week reduced the price of the R9 300 series. Don't forget the next gen cards which will possibly be the biggest leap in graphic cards for many, many years are coming out next year.
The other option is to get a part upgrade video card if you can get one cheap second hand, sell your current one, and let it last through until next year. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it could save you money because you can sell your current card now, part pay for the newer card, and if the newer card is still under mainstream support (whether Nvidia or AMD) it will still have resale next year unlike your current card. Now you might be seemingly throwing away $80, but like I was saying Nvidia will probably drop prices next year, possibly even by February to help start clearing stock in readiness for the next gen cards. They simply wouldn't be able to sell the GTX 970 for anywhere near what they are currently selling for since the next gen cards are such as leap.
I'm just trying to put out there the best value option for you, seeing as I guess you plan to keep the system for a while. Sorry to say, a 970 simply won't cut it in the longer term.
Just curious, why is the asterisk next to your RAM in your signature?
There are a lot of "possibly", "probably" and "if" in your post.
Don't get me wrong but, I read lots of guessing in there, that's all.
One just can't sit and wait for the "next-big-thing", or we'll be waiting forever... Sometimes, is just better to pull off the trigger and go for a system that will fit our needs.
And please, don't tell us the 970 isn't a "value card" because it is, just like the R9 390 is.
My crystal ball is in RMA so, I can't comment on any of your predictions, especially, the "970 cutting in the long term" or not.
I never said the 970 wasn't a value card. It is however, not value considering he is going to be running it on a Q9650 for at least 3 months, if not longer. The Q9650 simply won't be able to make use of it, and during that time the prices of the 970 is likely to drop. In fact, Nvidia just cut prices as I wrote my last post in this thread, not sure how long that will take to filter through to the stores though.
If the OP had say, a Sandy Bridge CPU and wanted to upgrade, my response would be different. This is because the OP could actually make use of the card in the next few months. Simply getting hardware now that you can't really use, for a higher price than you can later when you would otherwise buy it is, quite frankly, stupid. That's why I recommend doing the upgrade together. The OP should also know that since they want to keep the computer for a few years going by the age of the Q9650, that upgrading from the 970 wouldn't be a bad idea once the new cards come out.
That is all. My response is what I think represents the best value, not the idea that many people have on here which is upgrade 'just because', even if it is kinda pointless at the time in doing so. The old Core 2's were good in the day but simply can't make use of the 970.
Since CASH is the problem and with us ALL. Just get the card.. you KNOW you will be updated..upgrading in 2016.. so go for it. Do what YOU want. All you read here is what each one of us would do..
typical amd fanboy
How is that typical AMD fanboy? I would say those saying getting the 970 now is typical Nvidia fanboy.
You do realise I still said to get the 970, or are you too busy being a Nvidia fanboy to realise that? What I said, and you can go back and read it, is still to get the 970, just get it when it makes sense to. Due to the price drop the other day, the 970 will simply cost more now than it will in February or March. The OP will be spending more for something to get now, and can't really make use of!
My other suggestion was to sell the 6950 and get something that is cheap now but better than what he had, but something that won't be held back by his CPU. Then, when the new cards come out he could get the 970 and sell off his newer card. It may seem double handling, but you would sell off the existing card come February so it isn't much of a loss. The advantage here is you can still have the flexibility of choosing the card later. Who knows, maybe a 980 could be on the cards, or (this isn't a fanboy comment, just a comment in general) a R9-380X could be an option then, who knows.
Doing staged buying like a lot of people do isn't worth it, it just shows poor money management (sorry to say). Easy to do so though, I understand the reasoning behind it. It's why I suggested the extra high interest (that you earn) account with no monthly fees, if available. Instead of buying parts in stages, and having them either outdated, not the specific model you want come time of upgrade, or have a price drop, you actually still have the funds then to do a proper upgrade. You can then still keep the account active and put $20 in it each pay or whatever, and then you have a fund for that next gen graphics upgrade or whatever, and it's money you have ALREADY budgeted for .
Qx9650 and gtx970 not a proper match. You will see gains vs 6950, but cards potential will be crimped by the old CPU.
Thanks you all
I want to thank you for all your input and the recommendations. I have all my new hardware now. Assembling it this evening. Ill let you know how it turns out. New rig specs are in my profile. Again, thanks guys.
You did the right thing getting it all at once.
Cool stuff op!...enjoy
Agreed, it would have been pointless getting just the graphics card.
Agreed! Still look into the suggestion of the high interest (that you earn) account. Sure, it might not be high interest at the moment, but the interest should largely cover the devaluation of the currency. It's a great way to save up for things that you want or need, and it's already budgeted for. It can also be used as a last resort emergency fund, and likewise it's already money budgeted for.
still have to load the monitoring software but it is working...everything launches literally 3 times as fast. it doesnt seem to labor at all. only played killing floor 2 for 5 minutes so far. its working good. havent overclocked it yet.
How is i7 920 @ 3.6GHz matched with GTX 970? Will there be a significant bottleneck?
It should be OK. It's not optimal but wont be a waste of money.