Worth it? $60 FX 6300 to replace an X3 450 (rana)?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by 0blivious, Aug 24, 2017.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    It's Mom's bedroom desktop PC, that I built her years ago and always intended to eventually pop in an FX. Is it worth it to spend $60 on an FX-6300 to replace the X3 450 (rana)? From looking at random benches, seems like it might be. The FX is apparently less than a year old.

Or wait for an 8 core to sell cheap?

Her PC has an Asrock 970 extreme3 (rev2.0) board (AM3+), 8GB of ram, SSD, runs Windows 10 and (IIRC) an old GTX260. It's in a humdrum case with mediocre airflow.

She (70) uses it for internet, spreadsheets, streaming video.

Thanks for any advice.

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Now that I look at the new 8 cores for $100, maybe I'll just wait...

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Bought an 8320E for $99 new. That ought to be a nice upgrade. Have a spare zalman cooler as well.

4. deadinhollywood

deadinhollywood Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580XTR 8GB
    Good replacment. Good upgrade. Overclock it.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    ^ if you can. Its a 970 board so its probably 4x1 power phase. Can be problematic even with an 8-core.

I had the same problem\question, and ended up with the 6300 because it overclocked FAR past the 8320 did on my 970 board.

6. deadinhollywood

deadinhollywood Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580XTR 8GB
    Yeah it is 4+1. But still even if he cant overclock it high he will get descent upgrade over actual cpu he's got.

7. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    True no doubt. I'm just trying to point out that the 6300 might clock significantly higher, such as my case.

...I didn't notice it was for a 70 year old for basic usage. Don't overclock right away, and make sure the proc is okay with that board. 95w TDP you should hopefully be okay with 8-core.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Appreciate the heads up on that board. Good to know for the future that if I ever did repurpose that PC for light gaming, that board may not overclock an 8 core very well (or at all). I was mainly looking forward to finally overclocking/playing with an FX as it's my first. =D I was thinking I may try a light overclock (after finding max) but really, it's going to be about twice as fast as her old processor just at default. I'll still add the better cooler just for the silence. I seem to recall the stock AMD coolers were like jet engines under load.

I did manage to update the bios yesterday to 1.80 so that it would accept the new processor. Turns out she has a rev 1.0 (not 2.0).

CPU should be here tomorrow.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    I wouldn't oc someone's PC who just uses it for general use..
    Plus like you said, that ~4phase board is not designed for OC

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    So I ended up putting it in a new case too....

Waiting on the CPU, I decided her case was crap. Plus, my massive CPU cooler won't fit, it's a few mm to thin. It's one of those old paper thin metal cases with the PSU on top and few options for fans or anything, really. I forgot how cheap I made her build at the time (originally an Intel E8300 in ...09?). Going to get my girlfriend a new case (Purple/white NZXT s340) and give Mom her Fractal Design R5 case. I love that R5 case. It has the front filter I wanted Mom to have so it will be easy for her to clean on her own.

The CPU went in fine and benched as expected. It's anywhere between 1.5 and 5 times faster than her old CPU, depending on tasks. It's running nice and cool with the Zalman 9900max on it. It idles at 33c and 46c loaded after about 10 minutes of prime (ambient ~21). I was expecting it run warmer. That's better than some of my old i7s do. The tiny heatsink that shipped with the CPU is the same tiny one the X3 750 has. =/

...now I get build my girlfriend's PC again tomorrow. This upgrade got busier than planned.