Worth getting another 4gb of ram for games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by bsc14, Mar 21, 2011.

1. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    This.
    SSD disk are the best upgrade you can get right now.
    Although games wont run faster they will load faster and boot and shutting down the PC is really fast.

2. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    you guys are killing me here...

yes, no, yes, no, yes , no......

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Ive never noticed massive amounts of RAM being used in games, when i do some graphics work the difference is more evident, but im shifting massive files and rendering animation, but even then 4GB is enough, if its cheap then why not it wont hurt but is it really needed?

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Nope. I actually was running 8GB for a while over 4, noticed literally zero difference.

5. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    To people saying "get it, it can't hurt" - well it actually can.

If he has 2 sticks of 4GB and he puts another 2 sticks of 4GB he's entering a whole valley of issues with multiple memory sticks.
    Even my MoBo manual says it's better not to use all the banks at once for stability and performance reasons.

Since there is no upside and there can be a downside, don't upgrade.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah running with all your DIMMs filled can make it harder to OC the CPU, random instability, and the need to use a slower memory speed. Luck of the draw.

7. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I have 3x2gb sticks of OCZ gold, one of them went bad and I am running 4gb right now. I haven't sent the RAM back for the warranty yet, but I notice zero difference in performance with 6gb vs 4gb. Using Win 7 64.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    After a neworking course I'm running ****loads of VM's as well and I'm curious what would happen if I disable the page file. Next time I upgrade I'm going for 16GB ram and a disabled page file. Ram's pretty cheap nowadays anyways.

Never had problems with that, but all of my 4 sticks of ram were ordered at the same time, from the same batch and type so they're pretty much identical.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  9. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    Ditto!

10. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    It's not as much about ram stick as it is about memory controller(s).
    OP has PII x4, it has two memory controllers. When you have two sticks, each controller works with one stick (unganged dual channel).
    But when you have 4 sticks, each controller has to work with two sticks, switching back and forth between the two, hence speed impact and possibility of issues.

11. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    I have 4GB and after a while of playing GTAIV and 95% is taken .. but sometimes with lots of apps open and after a long lime on internet (like now) my memory is 61% taken which is actually already too much for idle..

12. PabloJet

PabloJet Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    400 MB is the minimum to run into no issues on Windows 7 64bits. One can disable the page file completely, but there will be some issues.

13. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    i have win7 x64 and 4G ram ddr2 1066 and the best upgrade I made was getting an Intel 40G SSD...my OS went on it..and vavoom :) best $120 ive ever spent on a PC :) and with the new firmware update..my CPU is now the slowest part of my rig :) keeping it to a welfare WEI rating of a 7.3 :p *cheap ass pos lol* jk :)

edit : and I run all my games pretty much at 1920x1200 with max detail...and its usually pretty much glass smooth...the new STALKER COTP : Complete, i just maxed it all out...and im doing about 55fps on avg w/vsync in full DX11 mode.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  14. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I'll try to install Win 7 on my system.
    My question:
    should I disable Win 7 paging file ?
    Would I get some better performance in games?

I google it about it but I could'nt find settings according to my configuration.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No.

A lot of users here run without a pagefile...no problemo..

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

16. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    This is my configuration on the left.
    That some no no no's :)
    May I ask why?
    I have issues on Win Xp (BSOD) and this AGP card so I'try put Win 7 this friday,
    tweak it and install new Ati drivers and try some games.

According 1 Gb ram I don't know what number should I resize page file or
    should I disable it on C:\ completely to see difference.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Heck go ahead and install it..can't hurt. It may be your HDD giving u bsod if it's an old one.

More ram would help, you don't have enuf to disable pf - but it will help if you set your pf to a fixed size of...idk....2GB, and move it to a drive other than the one your OS is installed on (if you have more than 1 drive) :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    my 2nd pc has 4gb of ram, i've yet to see any game or any program use more than 75% of my Ram, so 8gb wouldn't make much of a difference really unless you run tons of programs in the background or play Battlefield which i heard is very memory hungry, then 6gb to 8gb would be worth it.

if you can afford 8gb of ram go for it anyway, it's not wasted money, more RAM is better, however more than 8gb today is a waste of money, this might change in the future.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Guys that say their rigs use 3-4GB while idling, likely have SF enabled and are just looking at cached data......

More ram allows more caching I guess... the only advantage I can see from uber ram...so still no... from me at least. lol

20. CDMC

CDMC Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX560 2GB

Running Windows 7 64bit? then definitely get more ram!

I don't know how about others but i noticed performance increase with 8gb of ram! Not only in games, pc just stared to run much better/faster.