Worst green team GPU you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Greed craze for sure. I worked at a computer reseller so I got it for a fairly good price but still, it was a boatload of money (my first really expensive GPU...and definitely not the last).

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Lol... there is every bit of evidence, as they released the first titan shortly after, which had the actual highend chip (gk110) which would previously have been in the x80 model.

The only reason 680 has better performance than either 580 or 480 (which both use the same HIGHEND gf100 chip) is due to architectural improvements, and more importantly a massive node shrink. The 680 being 20% faster than the 580 does not change the fact that it was using the midrange gk104 chip, rather than the highend gk110 used in the titan a few months later. A naming scheme just made so nvidia could increase their profit margins...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    780. It wasn't horrible at the time of buying it, but it's the worst I owned. It was expensive but didn't age well, which means it was money thrown out the window. Also, it died after 15 months of use. It was a Palit card. I've had people warn me about Palit. Maybe they were right :p

A card I didn't own myself (at the time I was using only ATI cards) but a relative of mine had it and was horrible: FX 5600. The performance was really bad for the price. We were forced to play games at 800x600 to get anywhere close to 60FPS. I remember almost every game we tried was turning into a stuttery mess. This was at the time where LCD displays were becoming popular and as a result gaming on that thing at low resolutions was a blur fest. At that time, 1024x768 was what 1080p is today, and 1280x1024 (or 1280x960) was like today's 1440p. Imagine if today you buy a "60" model nvidia GPU that isn't able to run 1080p...

INSTG8R and Serotonin like this.
  4. eddward

eddward Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 GAMING X
    Probably Asus Geforce 8600GT Silent. Very bad decision to go with passive cooling. I ended up with the added active cooling anyway and unfortunately with the dead fried chip after several months.

Serotonin likes this.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    GTX 480.

Loud, constant hitting max temp and it had lots of weird driver issues.

Serotonin likes this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    What was the 680 going up against? The 7970 which came out 3 months before it. What was the price of that? It was a bit more than the 680 ($549 vs 499).

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    People like you who justifies nvidias shitty moves with lack of competition makes me facepalm big time...

It's the same people giving nvidia a free pass with the 2080 ti, just because there isn't any competition... as if that justifies the massive price increase and minor performance increase over the 1080 ti.

8. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    oe thats a tough one between a 6800XT (single slot) and my current 980 ti (evga branded reference design) the 6800XT under load howled over my closed back headphone's with ease thx to the single slot cooler and jet fan, where the 980 ti is watercooled but coil whine's like a banshee somewhat negating my investment in silence under load (especially now i've switched from a 60hz monitor with a 60fps framecap to 144hz with a 72 or 144hz framecap, it howls and howls but put some music on my open back headphone's and can only tell it's there on quiet moments.

though atm i feel a lot of love for my 980 ti for only being 650 euro instead of where the ti sits at now T.T double the framerate for only double the price what a steal.

but i also got a passively cooled XFX geforce 7950GT which out of the box when testing in team fortress 2 overheated within 5 min (fins side to side, airflow front to back...how could it not overheat >.>) but after glueing a 120mm fan on it it was the quietest coolest card i had untill i started watercooling.

also think my "best" are quite unorthodox because of my first pc :p

best would be a FX 5600 ( i came from a radeon 9250 which couldn't run any of the games i had and the FX 5600 could simple as that :p wasn't loud did it's job untill it got retired for the much more powerfull and unbelievably loud 6800XT)

or my GTX 470 in terms of years owned that might be the one i had the longest and had the fondest memory's of, liquid cooled, overclocked, not informing me of what this coil whine is people keep talking about... ah good times.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nowhere did I justify anything relating to Nvidias "shitty moves", just stating context and fact to a poorly made point. You apparently get butt hurt when your point gets shot down. Was and still am a critic of Nvidias pricing re RTX. Ditch "people like you" arguments if you want to be taken seriously.

yasamoka likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Got shot down? With what? "They didnt have any real competition so why bother making a better gpu" ? Yeah, great counter point you made...

It might have made sense for nvidia to pull that crap (obviously, they sold a much cheaper chip for a highend price... huge profit margins for them), but it's still a shitty move towards the customers.

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    GeForce FX 5900 LX. GeForce FX was the worst series NV ever released.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    moab600 likes this.
  12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    MX4000 is their worst card ever, more than FX5200.

I would add Turing as one of their worst series ever, simply because of the awful performance per dollar, it one of the biggest regressions we ever had.

13. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I had one of those and was loving it until probably a couple months later the 8800GTX was released and smashed it into pieces in everything...i was left with a thing that sounded like a hoover and mediocre FPS. First and last dual GPU card I bought.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    8800GTX, it's the only one that broke down on me. Though baking it in the oven fixed it and kept me going until I got a 470GTX.

Overall I managed to skip all bad generations.

15. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    While im inclined to say fx5700 le, i think for me it was actually the reference gtx 570 , the only card that died on me , it died in a puff of smoke because of crap vrm.

16. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    never owned a terrible card from nvidia... but the 780/780 ti was confusing.. When the 980 came out it was a big surprise and it pulled the rug from right underneath you... especially when the 980 ti came after which seem like a big blow after buying the 980. The performance was always consistent, never had issues, but the leap in updates/upgrades after a few months made me held off from upgrading for awhile.