1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst green team GPU you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SerotoNiN, Jan 23, 2019.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Let's do this again. I enjoy these.

Overall consensus seems to be the 8800 Ultra/GTX for the best card owned thread. I'm wondering if guru's also migrate to the same worst card?

I'm talking a card you bought, expecting it to be legit and it wasn't. We all started out somewhere, such as a Geforce MX 32MB ...but I'm not talking on-board or low-end. I'm talking legit, expected this to be the card to be the card in your system for the long run and ended up a disaster. Be it slow, hot, crap drivers, never working properly, etc.

Mine is a classic as well as a POS. The infamous 5800 Ultra. The leaf blower. Can confirm it did blow. I remember being so indignant. Ignored all the warnings of the noise and heat, had to have my nvidia card. I used it for less than a week. I pretty much immediately knew I goofed. The card hovered at 93C full load, if that wasn't enough, this heat also came at the expense of fans that sounded like a plane was taking off inside my computer. Finally, at the time, the Doom 3 beta was leaked and was the big deal to check out. I vividly remember playing that game and on a second crt watching the temps of the gpu, at one point the demo hit a max temp of 105c. I immediately stopped the beta, put back in my old ti4200, and placed the 5800 Ultra for sale. Aside from the heat and noise, it was slow. Horribly slow, because nvidia got a big head and decided to ignore the 24fp dx9 instruction set. They could do 32 or 16, one was too much and caused low frames, one was too low and caused degraded I.Q. This also introduced driver "tweaks' as nvidia struggled to gain performance. Horrible time for team green and the industry as driver cheats became "OK" during this time.

Here's to you 5800 Ultra. For teaching me it was OK to try ATI and a 9800 Pro (after one last attempt with a 5900 non-ultra...yeah I was a fan boy lol).

After all this typing....am I the only one that misses the "Ultra" moniker?

2. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti card was oke, but sounded like a lamborgini, when on load, never buy that brand again lol.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    9800GX2, dual GPU card with only 512mb of VRAM, made it almost useless for high resolution gaming and it hit 95c with every game unless SLi wasn't supported.

I hated it so much, didn't stop me buying a second one for Quad SLi however lol

SerotoNiN likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Nvidia has no bad gpus.

It just works.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    FX 5600 with 256MB VRAM. Originally bought this in anticipation of HL2 and Doom 3 and quickly realized what a piece of garbage it was so ended up getting a 6800GT instead

SerotoNiN likes this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Geforce 4 MX 440.

SerotoNiN, Keitosha and moo100times like this.
  7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    My Asus GTX580 DCII... memory failure outside of warranty. Not using heat sinks on the memory chips was a bad idea.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    I'm divided between a GeForce 2 MX200 and a GeForce 5600XT....

SerotoNiN likes this.
  9. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Card I thought would be good but failed - Gigabyte 7900GT. I wanted 500/1500 clocks (because OCD) and it wouldn't do 1500 on vram, it would do less and even more, but not 1500. RMA.

The worst Nvidia GPU I've ever bought was the fx5200. I say bought, I didn't actually buy it, it came in the rig I bought cheap. It was a solid PC with some upgrade potential but the fx5200 was diabolical.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    SerotoNiN likes this.
  10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    reference gtx 275

SerotoNiN likes this.

11. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Going from a GeForce 2 MX200 to a Geforce FX5200. The 5200 was an upgrade and was indeed a better card, but yeah, disappointing performance. Fortunately someone stole the HL2 source code and delayed it a year and Nvidia came out with the 6000 series by then.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    NV 7800gtx, very underwhelming, so glad when i replaced it with a 8800GTX.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  13. moo100times

moo100times Active Member

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Geforce 4 Mx was a letdown compared to its Ti brother. I would say 8600gt in laptop, caused the thing to keep shutting down from overheating and eventually melt the inside.
    Probably biggest personal disappointment was the 8800gtx, not for performance, but because it died a couple of days after its warranty expired at stock speeds. Was a sad day.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    MX4000 and FX5500, this garbage does not worth a single dime.

SerotoNiN and Dragam1337 like this.
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I guess I'd have to say GeForce 2 MX. I bought it at the same time as building a whole new PC, so I tried to save money wherever I could. I was very happy to replace it with Ti4200 quite soon. The Ti4200 I got had a dead TV-out, so I had to take it back for a warranty repair/replacement, but otherwise I was happy with it, so despite having such an experience, Ti4200 was a solid card, thus not one for this thread.

SerotoNiN likes this.

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Ah yes, I remember having a crappy GF2 MX200 not being able to show all the goodies in Quake 3 Arena (T&L). Another bs card was the FX5700LE. It sooo struggled displaying shadows in EverQuest 1. :D

17. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    I know you said no onboard gfx...but the 6100 that was integrated with my Nvidia nforce chipset was horrendous at running Doom 3 :p

I upgraded from a Riva TNT to 4400 Ti -> 6600GT -> 8800GTS 64MB -> GTX460 -> GTX580 (was hot as the sun and then died) -> Temp used a 9600GT -> GTX970. Of all of those, I think the GTX580 was the worst.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  18. sneipen

sneipen Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Voodo 2. For some reason my card performed worse than the first one. Sent it in, they couldnt find anything wrong with it. So i was stuck with it. Also, i wasnt old. So i didnt have the know how i have now. :p

After that. Fx5*** i belive it was, it was included in my first built. When i read description on the parts i got i got the impression it should manage gaming ok. But that was wrong, so bought a ait 9800pro or what it was called. It blowed my mind when i saw the performance gain. Half life 2 ran great.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    SerotoNiN likes this.
  19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix

SerotoNiN likes this.
  20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    nvidia fx 5200 - pure garbage