Worries about PCI-E 2.0

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Shieldmaiden, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Shieldmaiden

Shieldmaiden Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    I've just bought the parts for a new PC, including 2Gb of 6400 DDR2 RAM, XFX 9600GT, an E8400 - and a Asustek P5K Motherboard (due to its reputation as a nice and stable o/c).

This is intended to last me a few years as a low budget gaming PC - but am I making a huge mistake in not buying a PCI-E 2.0 Motherboard? I might be looking at upgrading my videocard again as well as adding RAM or a better CPU in a year or so... regretting a non-SLI MB too a little, since it means buying 2 new videocards if I want 2.

I'm not certain why I'm posting, though I'm sure I'm not the only one to get second thoughts and worries if spending a lot on a PC!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    lol PCI-E 2.0 its a joke you would need like two 280 straped together to top a 1.1 PCIE out lol

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    If you don't plan on upgrading for a while, PCIe 2.0 might have been a better option. But as for now, PCIe is more than ample.

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    PCI-E 2.0 is not a joke really, benchmarks may not show speed increases but your gameplay may actually be smoother, the same was for AGP 4x vs 8x the benchmarks did not really pick any up any major (if any) performance increase yet gameplay was a better under stressful conditions.

unfortunately there aren't games out there able to stress the damn thing to the point of bandwidth starvation with the exception of MAYBE Crysis.

a PCI-E 2.0 may not be incredibly useful today but it will eventually in 1 year time so your choice is not really a bad choice nor a mistake so don't worry about it......yet. ;)

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    The board you picked will also do crossfire, just remember that.

6. Shieldmaiden

Shieldmaiden Member Guru

GPU:
    Thank you all.

I've been reading up PCI-E 2.0 but I'm still unsure about whether I'll lose out on performance with my 9600 GT - it says GeForce 9 series Drivers, etc are optimized for PCI-E 2.0 but will I see a difference at all if its not pushing the bandwidth limit? And can a P35 chipset handle these newer videocards or will it bottleneck at all? (A friend told me yes, but I'm not inclined to believe that without backup)

I'm new to PC building, its making my head and my purse hurt :bang:

7. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    I went out and bought a 9800GX2 even though I have a P35, and there is no perfomance differents at all...
    I still get the same FPS as others with PCIe 2, so you will have no problem.
    In a year or so down the track who really knows what will happen, new sockets and such, so you could be looking at a new board then cause the 775 are discountinued???

Edit: PCIe 3 might be around then anyway, for the time being just OC your CPU to 3Ghz and all will be good with that 9600..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  8. Shieldmaiden

Shieldmaiden Member Guru

GPU:
    Thank you THE_BAIT, I'll keep it in mind...

I believe PCI-E 3.0 is slated for 2009 (at least according to Wiki).