World of Warcraft: Shadowlands with Ray Tracing in a new video from AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2020.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    WTH would anymore cripple his or her fps in WoW for ray tracing?

2. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    They have better models that when they started. All races and mobs have better models, buildings, nature and landscape is improved in every new exp. They use way higher resolution textures now than before (improved every exp) and the added tons of effects with better quality, engine was heavy 1 threaded and they did improved that aswell.. (went from dx9 to dx12 over the time). so it looks like you got no clue what you are talking about with WoW.

They improved graphics over time just because the "worst pc" improved over time to, there is no need to be playing on "2004 dx9" in 2020.

GW2 looks as bad as WoW. That scam you call game... come back when its released, atm its a half-playable tech demo at best. But wait... its not optimized? Were are the graphic options to make it run on a potato? mmm weird.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    WoW is the only MMO that i know of that constantly has eninge updates too newer DX version, then again Blizzard has the money to do so , sadly I never like WOW, Loved Warcraft growing up but WOW i never liked the art style was never to my liking

4. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    every time I see WoW being talked about
    [​IMG]
    Yes yes, of course it is not "mine". But the people that played this game during Classic and Burning Crusade will understand what I am talking about. It was in my humble opinion the last game that was truly from the golden era, and it ran almost exclusively on meritocratic principles where if you wanted the best the game had to offer, you had to dedicate yourself to it (with exceptions like Arab princes buying geared characters).

Backstabak and Noisiv like this.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    DirectX 12 runs very well on lower (2019) powered machines. Probably the best version to date.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    It proof that when things are done right great thing happen. I would sill be playing Swtor if it engine wasnt DX9 and so butchered that not even brute force can keep the game FPS from tanking in WZ/OPS and anything that that tons of other players around. I not even sure why the game is still installed my pc I have not touch in year nor updated it

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What? Why did you not like that 1st green trash in outland was better than your set gear?

8. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I was actually among the few in my guild that didn't care, because the game was great and exciting and I knew there will be new raids to go through and gear up. I don't find the gear becoming obsolete problematic as it used to be done. I was even fine with badge gear or w/e TBC introduced, been quite a while.
    An MMORPG is great as a meritocracy, but it also requires a LOT of players to populate the world. You cannot give most the best, but you have to give them something, and keep them playing.
    Overall I might have enjoyed TBC more than Vanilla, probably because my guild became an actual raiding guild, more structured, with much better results.
    BTW, we still wore tier sets quite a while in Outland, including in raids, sometimes, so the green replacement is a bit overblown, but it made it into WoW mythos so all's good.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Noisiv likes this.
  9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    we were 15 years younger. you can't patch/rollback that :(

toyo likes this.
  10. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Yeah. I guess I could still play such a game for a while, I'm no longer young, but a combo of me being happy with little and having a job I love and doesn't stress me would still allow me some limited WoW playing, even raiding. In fact I still raided until mid-Legion, not hardcore anymore, just somewhere around world 1000 or so, but got so disappointed with the game direction and with the endless guild drama that I quit the game fully, I think in 2017 or so.
    I'm pretty sure I will always miss Vanilla and TBC though, didn't play WotLK, Cata was OK-ish too. I learned with time to stop caring about the game being a coherent journey and just extracted fun from doing crazy raid logs with my mage. Best time for that was Arcane in the end WoD, that spec was insane, but even with huge numbers I just couldn't have the fun I had in 2005-2007.
    Gaming used to be so different.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, some of us did work for those sets. And others just walked through portal and on way to next quest NPC, they killed few mobs and had practically same stats on gear.
    Raiding/dungeoning people should be able to move from set gear to set gear without ever encountering non-set gear that would replace theirs before they hit multiple levels about raid/dung instance where they could have get better.
    Like having lvl60 set, then next set is on lvl64. But non-set gear lvl63~65 should not be better/equal to set gear lvl60.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol why does this even matter? You hit 70 in like 3 days and raided again. Game had several issues during that time but I don't recall anyone caring about that. I was more annoyed about the content being nerfed in a week then replacing my gear when a xpac came out.

13. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Yeah, I know.
    Unsure if you've seen it, but I started my posts in the topic praising the meritocratic way WoW used to be. I expected my take to be quite extreme, after years of fighting LFR types in forums, mind you, people that would not even gear up to the bare minimum to enter a raid and be essentially carried by friends, people that would not even apply to a raiding guild as socials, and then come to the farming Normal/Heroic raids that would often result in them getting lots and lots of nice raid gear.
    I guess I'm more of a moderate, after all?
    Anyway, you NEED these masses of people in MMORPGs. It's very important to keep them happy - without indulging their worst impulses, i.e. LFR stuff and tier sets/trinkets in it too. WoW was so amazing because it was a massive success, where we've had millions of non-raiding people just happy to go through the pretty good story quests, do dungeons, world PvP some, and socialize.
    As for TBC, keep in mind Kara opened pretty soon. Magtheridon, Gruul followed. We've had an early tier set, nice weapons, decent trinkets, all of it relatively fast. Heroic dungeons were decent too. Crafted gear was powerful - I forgot what it was named, but my mage wore some crafted set into Tier 5. Fuzzy memories. The weeks where you replaced the Naxx set (if you really had one, which put you in a tiny, tiny minority) were not that relevant in the long run.
    Personally, I favor the periodic gear reset system like this, compared to the always upgrading the same piece of gear or w/e. It's quite exciting to get new stuff, and the raids kept offering the best, so all was fine for me.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If WoW was semi competitive and did that every time, you would care.
    Imagine level cap being 30. Some reaching it and getting best gear. Others unable to complete hardest content and do not have best gear.
    Then next expansion gives lvl 35 cap, and levels playing field with gear too. At least till those players who are able to get sets get new lvl35 set.
    And then they repeat it again and again.

As result, difference between top players and casual player would always be under 10%. And that's problem with situation Bliz created back then. They leveled playing field and as you wrote, they did it fast.
    There were differences between player gear that could be counted in months of gameplay. Gone almost instantly. Everyone practically back at square 1.
    Later with simplification of talents, they leveled playing field even more.

Can't comment on state of game today. Have not played for many years. And I have no intention to start again. In the end, I have Crowfall and maybe Corepunk, if that proves to have good class customization.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Competitive in the sense of making money? Or just competitive in the sense that guilds wanted to be the best?

The latter was already true.. I was in one of those guilds. We were the third guild to kill Onyxia in the game, first to get the T2 rogue armor (IIRC was chestplate) to drop off her before they re-itemized her. Ropetown (Horde guild on our server who got several world-firsts throughout the game) was the guild that found you could drop the PvP flag in MC, think it was a battle standard flag or something? and crash the server - and kept doing it every time we made an attempt on Rag. Our guild was extremely competitive all the way through TBC, although I lost interest half way through that expansion for other reasons.

Anyway, again, I don't recall the items ever being an issue in that sense. I don't recall caring when the xpac came out because the entire guild got to 70 by the end of the week and we were busy raiding again. There is like a period for a week where your gear essentially resets before you are able to get back to a level people can't match without doing the content with every expansion. You can call that "not hardcore" i guess and I'd be fine with it but it's also probably the reason why the game had 15m people playing 3-4 xpacs in. Otherwise causals would fall so far behind and never be able to see the content.

Don't get me wrong, the game had a whole bunch of issues that lead me to quit it during TBC but I don't think that week period where greens were replacing my nax set mattered much to me because by the next week we were doing serp/grull and whatever that pitlord guys name was getting gear no one else was getting again.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    There is a problem with the approach you describe and that was a problem that Blizzard had encountered at the time. As you progress, you get more tiers, but new players still kinda need gear from previous tiers and those tiers aren't run by any competitive or even semi competitive guild. So if you start midway through expansion, there was basically no way for you to catch up to the rest and raid latest content, unless you had a guild full of friends who already had that content on farm. This was also a problem for the competitive guilds, since if you lose a player it becomes very difficult to replace them. This is why TBC brought badges and had catch up raids like Zul'Aman.

Personally I don't see a problem with what is basically a reset every expansion. And I don't remember it ever being an issue since if you were raiding, you always could get gear faster than an average player (even if they could get gear). However, all of that was something that Blizzard was doing 15 years ago and that's really not what Blizzard is doing today. Today you have effectively a reset at every patch with tons of gear coming to you from all sources. And in the end all of that is irrelevant anyway, since half your damage comes from some random proc effect.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You can play that exact game, pretty much, right now. It's called WoW Classic. And honestly, retail is a superior game in most ways. That is not even up for discussion.

18. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I don't like indulging in nostalgia. Nor do I want to give money to Blizzard. This is why I sold all my gold for tokens/Bnet credit, and there was a lot of it, when I quit, auctioned all my valuable stuff. Gotta break the link completely, with strength.
    Classic is not relevant. The bosses are old and mechanics are easy. Anyone can farm. There is another WoW where you can LFR.
    The joy of initial WoW cam from how elitist and exclusionary it was, and succeeding at what others fail. Pure competition. Meanwhile Classic is nothing but nostalgia bait for people like Sodapoppin and their followers. You know everything that will happen. You know the story. There is no new, exciting, story-developing raid to open soon.
    In short, the idea was that the meritocratic aims of vanilla should have been maintained throughout.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yes, Classic (and Vanilla for that matter) is inferior to retail. Sure, it was a game from that "golden era". Golden era for us. Current games will be the golden era for people who hit 30 in 15 years. It's natural progress.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's all to do with nostalgia. And the fact it was all new. Nothing to do with the game being great. The competition also came from lack of knowledge, poor hardware and terrible play. People run Classic raids naked these days for fun. The game was good, for it's time but honestly, you can play it now, or you can play the better version of the game.

I agree, I miss those days too, but I'm not going to fool myself pretending that those games were better.

20. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I never said anything about better, I said it was meritocratic.
    This is not entirely about games. Which are a small, almost irrelevant aspect of life. This is just one drop in the glass that keeps on filling.
    This is a gaming forum, so I will leave people to draw their own conclusions.
    And I disagree about "progress". Too often "progress" is the justification for all sorts of abuse and betrayal of older norms that were not long ago recognized almost universally as good.