World of Warcraft now supports DX12 in Win7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Amaze, Mar 12, 2019.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's what I use, I upgraded from Vista to Windows 8.... I actually skipped Windows 7.

xD

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well FML i loved my Win 7 Ultimate. The only reason i jumped on 10 was for DX12.

If millions of WoW players are still on Win 7 Blizz has some power to make M$ do this.

I thought it couldn't be done because the new API was built with the new OS in mind, if this is true then M$ BS is stronger than ever.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Win10 will still have full D3D12, Win7 will get _some_ games which will use _some_ parts of D3D12 runtime. Basically this requires a game developer not only to develop D3D12 renderer but to make a separate version of it for D3D12-on-Win7. I don't expect that many will bother as D3D12 don't really provide many benefits even on Win10 at the moment and will likely be even less interesting in a stripped down form on Win7.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I predict Microsoft will extend the life of Windows 7 simply because of popularity...

Rich_Guy likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Actually w7 support ends in 2020.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    i said "extend the life" ....The popularity is to big to end it's life even if it's 1 year from now.

the fact that Windows 8 did not get this Wow update should tell you something.

Lavcat likes this.
  7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Remains to be seen what Win8 will get.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It's sitting at <10% of windows installs, doubt it will be getting much of anything .

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I shall comment on how much I hate Win10 and glad to see tears of Win10 users who upgraded to it just for DX12 had to deal with horrible performance and upgrades only to see much more superior Win7 supporting it now.

I shall also comment how biased and numb are Win10 users who has forgot or perhaps never used glorious Win7. Win10 probably brainwashed them with that
    Code:
    :(
    they see daily.

I shall also comment how biased my comment is, but it doesn't change the fact how far more Win7 superior to filthy bloatware Win10.
    Win7 is very good, so clean, so nice, so smooth. Win10 is bad, dirty, slow, smells like mixture or old and new bloatware that M$ pushes every now and then, like a noob developer pushes fixes to fail github project, while crying a river and wishes he be done with it.
    If Win10 users love their OS so much, why they hate on M$ store? Hypocrites, that who they are.
    I should find myself a mug saying "Win10 users tears". So yummy.

Ok, I am done. Interesting news, I wonder if M$ will just finally break a Win7 with DX12 update and force users to switch to Win10.

BetA and cowie like this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    With them bringing chromium edge to 7 and now this, it's almost certainly getting an extension. It's nice what they're doing but too late to matter if they're going to cut off 7 in less than a year. I guess they concluded it's not a good idea to strongarm the people who are still holding onto 7.

airbud7 likes this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    And in the past they claimed "we'd like to do that, but it's technically impossible." Vulkan picks up some steam and becomes serious competition, oh look there, now it's possible all of a sudden.

BetA and airbud7 like this.
  12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    hahaha w10 incher users
    same type who did not mind fb and other social media getting rich off them and selling them like 2 dollar crack whores

13. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Damage control much?
    So , can i run SOTTR with dx12 on win7?
    If not, any possibilities in the future?

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    No?
    No. Read the op.
    Who knows? My magic 8ball says "unclear"

cowie, mohiuddin and airbud7 like this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    mine says
    [​IMG]

:p

cowie, fantaskarsef and mohiuddin like this.

16. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Lol.
    On serious note, it should. I am still on windows 7 like alot others. And i am afraid of switching to win10 that horrible POS.

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    We don't know yet how this API port will be handled. It's possible that it will be handled solely by including required DLLs in a game's distribution and changing IHV drivers for this OS somewhat. In this case it's highly probable that Win8 will get the same what Win7 will since the drivers for these two are essentially the same.

Only if Nixxes will add this ability.

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well since MS has just found out that a lot of people still want to continue with W7 instead of being force into using W10 how about adding full support for recent CPUs so we can install all the updates?...

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That will rise once people realise it can be made to run exactly like 7 with most of the benefits that 10 has for 11.x games.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not in any reality based benchmark i've ever seen.