World of Warcraft now supports DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Hapatingjaky

Hapatingjaky Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080Ti OC
    I've been a huge WoW player since 2002 ( Closed Alpha ) and I can say without a shadow of a doubt they've pretty much killed a huge player base with this joke of a pre-patch.

The adoption of DX12 has caused around a 20% performance loss on both AMD and Nvidia. This might be attributed to the loss of fullscreen support as well. Maybe a driver update might fix this but I doubt it.

The loss of Fullscreen Support according to Blizzard is that is how DX12 works. That is the exact excuse given on the forum. That DX12 does not support Dedicated FullScreen.

They removed SSAA support from the game.

Since removing Fullscreen, you can not change the resolution of the game anylonger. Setting FullScreen (Windowed ) greys out the resolution option and uses the Windows Desktops resolution. The Resolution Scaler in the game just blurs the image. Setting Windowed allows the use of the resolution option but setting say from 3000x2000 ( Surface Book ) to 1920x1080 doesn't actually do anything. This is a huge issue with players on lower end systems since they are locked to the desktop resolution and refresh rate. This also effects things like SLI/Crossfire and GSYNC/Freesync as they are now broken. Multi-GPU was removed in CATA but its causing issues now due to the removal of FullScreen support.

VSYNC no longer works, setting in game does nothing. This also breaks GSync as I now get screen tearing even when Gsync is set to Widnowed/Fullscreen.

There is alot of Pausing/Hitching now due to the Windowed mode on bot AMD and Nvidia.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    WHY not Vulcan?...

theoneofgod likes this.
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Instead of continuing to polish the same turd over and over, why don't Blizzard just create a new game with a more modern engine.

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    1. Because millions are playing World of Warcraft.
    2. They did create a new game with a new engine. It's called Overwatch. Millions are playing that game as well.

5. Hapatingjaky

Hapatingjaky Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080Ti OC
    It's annoying too play now...

Tried last night changing the API back to Directx 11. Of course fullscreen was removed from that as well. Under DX11 there is an FPS Hard cap which is locked to the Hz of the monitor. Since I use an Acer Predator I am locked at 100 and its jittery.

The slight screen tearing with Gsync is annoying too.

WoW doesn't even support what DX12 was intended for. Closer to metal and native Multi-GPU support. The game uses 1 core and has no Multi-GPU support...

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    If they removed sli support no way i can do 60fps at 1440p with a single gtx 770 4gb. :(
    I was playing just that game.

7. Hapatingjaky

Hapatingjaky Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080Ti OC
    SLI and Crossfire were removed when Cata was released.

8. Atazoth

Atazoth Guest

GPU:
    Trident Z RGB 32GB
    This is pretty epic stuff I was able to jump from 37-43 FPS to 57-60FPS in Orgrimmar with my Titan V and GPU Utilization went from 33% to 37% on average without any stutter. I have yet to test this on my Vega Rig.

9. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I think he means porting WoW to a new Engine.

Which is an impossible undertaking... well not imposible, just something Blizzard is not willing to spend years on to achive.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There isn't any Exclusive fullscreen in DX12, its automatically promoted to a borderless mode, This is the kick in the teeth though, there was no reason for blizzard to remove it under D3D11, it simply does nothing in 12 while still working in 11.

And nothing has been done to multicore optimize the game.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because this is a lazy adaption to 12, not a clean native d3d12 implementation.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Did you really think Blizzard was going to rewrite every single shader and majority of the engine/game code to support a native implementation/multicore in a 13+ year old game? Like I get it - the patch in general is bad (and not just because of the DX12 performance) - but I'm sure in time they'll fix the performance regressions. They obviously added 12 for a reason, they've been working on it for over two years now - the engineers at Blizzard aren't dumb. I'm sure there is an upside long term.

The reason why they didn't go with Vulkan is because Vulkan is graphics only. They'd need to create their own systems for input, sound, etc. Ain't no dev got time for that, especially when it's already all done.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Hell no, Blizzard holds its wow customers with contempt.

not really valid reasoning, they have an OpenGL renderer for other operating systems so a single vulkan renderer across them all would have been cleaner to manage.

15. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Hilbert: "In addition, there are new controls for adjusting the graphics quality. Instead of choosing between "Low", "Medium" and "High", the options can now be set in a range between one and ten."

This is actually not accurate. The numeral Graphic quality choice is there since Warlords of Draenor at least. There was 1-8 range, Legion introduced 1-10.

16. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Yet this game is still bottle-necked by single-core performance.

17. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Performance for me on an AMD FX6300, GTX 1060, with most of the graphics settings in the medium range, 2x AA, 8x AF, is as follows:

DirextX 11 = about how it was but now with occasional hitching. 60 FPS (capped) in the world, crappy 38 FPS in major towns.
    Directx 12 = about the same in the world, 60 FPS (capped), slight boost in towns to 47 FPS, but when fighting things it plumetts to 1 fps....no really. I get a slide show of ONE FRAME that updates every 1-2 seconds. I think it is when the baddies put particle effects on the ground. Totally unplayable.

Blizzard points the finger directly at Nvidia for this saying their Directx 12 driver support is lacking compared to AMD.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder if MSAA is hitting the particle effects, it's just 2x but that's something to test or just use DX11, it's not like DX12 offers any special visual features just yet from the sounds of it aside from possibly uplifting the CPU bottleneck a bit.
    And also try the latest available drivers if those aren't installed already, apparently they're useful for D3D12 or at least WoW D3D12 but I can't really confirm that being on AMD myself.

Also no idea if this is true D3D12 or something akin to wrapping D3D11 -> D3D12 which has some benefits but not quite the same as if it was fully native though that's also something I do not have too much knowledge about myself.

19. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    That's what I was hoping it would do, like Rise of the Tomb Raider does, but nope. I don't much care because I really don't play the game any more anyway. Just had a game token to use up before the expansion, that I am not buying, comes out and empties out the Legion world. I'll just stick with DX11 and won't be playing after this last couple weeks anyway.

Had the same issue on 388.43 and the newest driver.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I actually considered giving WoW another try until I read that bit about exclusive fullscreen being gone....

WoW has been multi-threaded for more than a decade. The problem has always been in the graphics engine. The graphics engine itself is not multi-threaded and is heavily impacted by "single thread" core performance.