World in Conflict and 4870X2 owners

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Sneakers, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Seriously is there anyone who can run this game on this card without crashes, freezes, hangs, driver stopped responding etc?

I never had this game work properly for any longer period of time..

Anyone who owns a 4870x2 and can honestly say " I run this game without issues, 100% stable never crashed" :p?

2. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    I did played the tutorial and very first missions, time ago.
    That was with 8.12 HOTFIX drivers I think, or 9.1 at the most
    I didn't hae my 3rd 4870 by that time, so it was only with the x2 card

3. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Only interested in ppl playing it online, since that seems to be diffrent from single player, for some reason. /edit I never ever managed to get the game to crash in singleplayer like it does online. /edit

God this game really gets on my tits... seems now when underclocking gpus it runs stable.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    if u underclock and its stable then something is over heating..idk how good air flow is in your case but more then likely that is your issue..

i have an x2 and because i modded the cooler to keep the gpu's cool..the vrm's get really hot and im stuck not playing some games like stalker clear sky/crysis because it just gets to hot and will crash/freeze/driver stops respond etc..(bought a waterblock thatll be here this week to fix that problem) so see if you can cool the card better..(not just the gpus but memory/vrm's)

5. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah I been thinking about that aswell, the overheating issue.

I mean I have had some issues with my comp due to OCing, thats no denying there.

I mean at 4.4 ghz I start to get unstable in the OS, not so much that it shows in IBT or any other stab test, but the memory gets clocked too high ( and this board don't like to run mem and fsb too far apart from synched ). Like on some boots the comp would stay stable and if I didn't reboot it ( riscing a what I called it a 'bad boot' it would stay stable forever, tested this for 2 months ).

So to solve that I backed the OC down to 4.2 and that was stable in the games I played at the time ( DAoC, Mass effect, Borderlands, Crysis, Anno1404, NFS shift, GRID - all these games would hang the same on a "bad boot" ) Point beeing the memory OC was the culprit here and, and the instability during my "bad boots" dissapeared 100% when backing down 25 mhz on memory.

Now with this said it could very well be heat that makes WiC act instable and often crash the comp (if not quick to kill the app via taskmaster ) or just crash to desctop with driver not responding. But how can I run crysis then at 800/1000 ( vs 750 900 ) with no problems, if it was really heat on the gfx card that also caused the WiC issues. Thats a hard one but I'm not saying it isn't heat I just have a hard time linking them together at this point.

Anyway, now with a tiny UnderC it ran fine, with a less OC then before 760 and 930 the game don't hang either but, I notice "parts" where the game stutter and if I had a normal OC it would normally crash at that point ( I think ). Now with the lower/more stock like clocks it just almost hangs but then recovers. So I think these little skips wich I don't see when I have regular 800/1000 clock (since I crash when they occur) is the problem here, with high OC it hangs there and driver don't recover, but with a light underclock or a minimal OC it stutters and I notice it, but it doesn't hang.

Just find the whole thing so odd, I always had issues with WiC, when I had SLI 8800 GTXs I could not run SLI with more then 2gb of ram in for example or it would crash/bsod. With 1x 8800 GTX I could pop in 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 gigs of ram with no problem, but as soon as SLI was turned on it crashed. ( crashed regardless of down clocking the whole comp, lower gfx settings, dx9 vs dx10, OCing cpu + gpu and so on ).

With all this in mind, I really think it is something wrong with the game itself :)..

The performance in the game from the X2 is superb getting 57 average score during the bench so the drivers themselfs have improved a great deal since the game was released in 2007 where I got like 30ish fps on average with 8800 GTX SLI and later like 38 fps average with the X2.

Now sure drivers letting the card strech its legs = more work load = more heat, so again that could be it..but I get higher temps running crysis, but with 0 issues, didn't hang crash stutter or anything during the time I played through the game on delta wich took me like 2 weeks :p..

Thats why I'm now searching for other people that plays this game with a 4870x2, I know one other person on the board with a X2 who had simular problems to me, but new drivers helped him last I heard.

I need something to connect the dots here, I no longer think this is just "you oced too much", must be the game, patches and ati drivers doing something funky here.

I mean when I do crash it reports in the event history the kernel 41 issue wich is memory related, I got this all the time when I had my "bad boot" situation some month ago, and when I lowered the memory clock that dissapeared in all games. Now I was thinking that maybe WiC was sensitive to RAM ocing, but when lowering ram to 800 standard but keeping the high GPU OC still resulted in crashes. Where only lowering gpu clocks resulted in stability.

Airflow ain't a problem, I can't get it cooler then it already is without water. Maybe I should try clocking everything back up and pin the fan to 100% to try and exclude heat from beeing the problem. Well I'm raving now, hehe think I answered myself here..but might aswell click the 'submit reply' button for your entertainment :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  6. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    well like said..it could be the vrm's..these things tend to get very hot and even having the fan at 100% may not be adequate in some games..
    some games like crysis might not stress the vrm's as much as something else..i cant say FOR SURE..but if i were you id download rivatuner..and open the tab that shows you temps etc..vrm temps will show up in there..play are ur normal clocks that usually crash..and play for about 5 mins or so..and alt tab out and check to see how hot the vrm's are getting(theres two sets of them since u have x2)...maybe even play crysis for a bit and see how hot they get in that game and compare them..and understand they will of course get hotter during more extensive play so take this into consideration as well..

it might NOT be the problem but very would could be too..ive noticed games act very different in the temps department from core temps to vrm temps and it seems most of my crashes are vrm temp related(gettin up in the high 100's) so just check it out cant hurt and will only take 15mins of ur day up testing it out to see if it COULD be a culprit..

7. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Aye I knew this aswell, just tried to avoid it since it opens up a whole other realm of issues where. I can't know casuality of anything since each and every game is 'a unique' situation that cannot be duplicated by playing other games or running benches. Just a big headache this stupid game :)

Atleast it doesn't crash at 760/930 and well maybe I should just settle for that, knowing what the cause is might not help me fix it anyway.

But I guess at this points it is down to:

1) VRMS / other part of the graphics card seriously overheating when ONLY playing WiC.
    2) WiC is very sensitive to RAM errors due to OCing - the OS is more forgiving and some other games/applications could also be more forgiving in its code when errors occur.
    3) The game has its own set of issues, that changes from patch to patch ( since some patches I have had no problems running OCed like crazy and then they patched and the issues I had several patches before reoccur.

4) Could be a mix of all four, and with any "luck" thats the hand I been dealt :)..

8. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    I have been playing the single player so far with my 2 4870 x2's and it will work fine for a few minutes and then I get a black screen but I still hear everything. I have to hard boot to get my screen back and windows says there a problem with the video. So I haven't even attempted the online gameplay. I have tried it with crossfire disabled and it still does the same. I have underclocked the card and no change. The gpu temps never go above 68C

9. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hmm, its a hellish game for sure to run. So many people have had issues with it ( looking at massgate forums ) for almost 2 years now.

What worked for me so far is keeping gpus as close to stock as possible, I also downclocked my memory. So I'm gonna try and see wether it is the memory or gpu overclock that is the culprit and after that see if it is heat related (gpu VRMs etc ) or just the game that is iffy when running oc'ed gpu/memory.