World Cup Brasil 2014

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  2. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
  3. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    The most annoying thing is that they arent playing that bad! They played awful in SA and managed to get out of the group!

Need more players like Lallana, who can pass his way from defense and not just boot it for 40 yards! Play Shaw vs Costa Rica as well, Baines is dissapointing so far!

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Barkley's had around 60 minutes of football in this WC and showed exactly... nothing. Lallana had a lot less time, but again, the occasion was far too big. Wilshere just falls over every time anyone comes anywhere near him.

I just can't wait to see the Rooney hate train now. People will bash him left right and centre. Thing is, he was over 2 games one of England's best players, if not the best. Out of the 2 goals England scored, he set one up beautifully and scored the 2nd.

People like Gerrard, both full backs, Henderson (did he even play in either of the games???) should never be in the team. Sturridge was poor tonight, Sterling was shocking.

England are out, and while Rooney is one of their best players, players like Suarez are simply on another level.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    English players don't necessarily get paid more than foreign players. Just go to Man City and you probably won't find many English player in their top 10 earners. Same at United (Rooney exception) and Chelsea... And Arsenal. In fact, apart from Rooney, I don't think there's another English player in the top 10 earners in the Premier league. Foreigners get paid more. I would even go as far as saying that there's probably no more that 5 English players in the top 50 premier league earners, and apart from Rooney, there's not an English player in the top 50 in europe, I'm pretty sure.

Lallana's had some time on the pitch and showed exactly nothing. I do agree though, Baines was awful in the first game and he should never have started the game tonight. Whatever Glen Johnson was doing for Uruguay's first goal tonight is beyond me, complete joke, defensively.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  6. AndreasGuido

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    At least he tried passing it, pisses me off when they jsut boot it down the pitch, we do that at Sunday league ffs! Or when heart does quick throw and they stop and pass it back to defenders. So frustrating :( Also drop Gerrard and Henderson, get Ox out there if he is fit.

People can complain about Rooney all they want but he has assist and a goal so far and he was the main thread to Uruguay today.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Interesting you mention Hart and quick throws. He did it like... a couple of times in 2 games. The whole tempo was really slow overall, in both games. There was no closing down, too many touches in the final third.

Think the problem with Rooney is people expect him to win games on his own. Reality remains, the England team is not good enough and one person can't win you tournaments. Especially being played out of position and having the whole nation talking him down.

8. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I don't see why we couldn't have started the game with the same tempo that Chile did yesterday, go out and fight for the win.

Our play just seems so sluggish all the time, it briefly got a bit better and more direct after we scored but it's too little too late by then.

With a lot of luck we can still go through but we don't deserve it so quite frankly I couldn't care less if we lose against Costa Rica.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I just hope the USA can take out a wounded Portugal and cement that G2 spot. Don't think that would be a bad match-up against what appears to be Belgium ATM unless Korea pulls something out of their ass.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep, the tempo was poor in both games, nobody direct, not enough runners. I don't get all the praise for England in this world cup. They lost both games and got outplayed in both games. This is what happens to lesser teams, but they usually just look so determined on the pitch... England lacked both class and will in both games. It's funny how people thing starting Barkley would make things so much better lol. All this talk about how England were actually good and would have been much better without Rooney. Jokers.

11. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I agree, after the Italy game everyone was praising the style of football we played and how we were unlucky to lose. I personally thought we played average at best.

When we have possession we pass it around almost meaninglessly without any real intent, we are so predictable and easily broken down.

Even as a Liverpool fan I can see that Rooney was crucial in the team, lets face it without him we wouldn't even have scored a single goal at this world cup!

Having both Gerrard and Henderson in deep roles was ineffective, would have preferred Chamberlain over Henderson if he's fit.

The problem with our young players is they get so much praise and hype that we end up expecting so much from them. Sterling is still inconsistent as proven tonight and Barkley had one good season and all of a sudden he's the next best thing. I don't think either would get in other top national teams.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I remember how people were hyped up about Wilshire a few years ago. He was the future, the next captian, true world class. He's awful now. Another one, Walcott, he'll never cut it as a top player. Now it's suddenly Barkley who should play ahead of Rooney, it's Lallana, it's Sterling...

****ing hate this fickle "fanbase". Like you said, fact remains England just aren't anywhere near good enough and imo they were very average in both games. One thing that really ground my gears after that first game was how many times I heard the word "positive" after that game.

When all I saw on the screen was England being outplayed buy a bunch of players most of us never heard of and a granddad Pirlo.

13. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Australia showed more passion skill tempo and played as a team/unit its always next time the youngsters will be good but they have been saying same old crap since 66

14. AndreasGuido

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Tbh Eclap i doubt Italians heard most of English players, my mate is Spanish and lives here and likes football but when Lambert came on he was like "Who the hell is this?"

England completed 431 passes last night, Uruguay only 220. But everytime Uruguay had ball they tried to pass forward, when England passed it back every single time! Lets be honest, this England side is very average! Wish they got rid off Hodgson as well to be honest!

15. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Let's just drop the England discussion - what's the point? They're ****. Move on and watch the real teams play.

16. AndreasGuido

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Sure, we can talk about Spain! now that was a fail :D Portugal might be next to go home!

going to support dutch! Love the way they play! Give me Germany - Holland final!

17. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    England were garbage and so was Rooney. The ONLY thing he did against Italy was provide the cross that lead to Sturridge's goal. The rest of the time he runs around like a headless chicken contributing nothing to the game thinking that if he spends more time in midfield than linking play up front, it'll somehow make some sort of difference. Instead we might as well have 10 men for large parts of the game. He ran the furthest out of any player, and also did absolutely nothing. If running a marathon wins the world cup then good luck, Wayne.

Henderson and Gerrard both need to be dropped. Never seen such a static centre pairing in my life, both stood holding hands along the centre line making no intelligent runs in to space and leaving massive gaps for the opposition to keep possession.

Jagielka is over rated, slow and cumbersome against pacey opponents and can't handle them.

Johnson spends more time trying to cut inside on to his left foot and try a curler because he's done it about 3 times in his career. Waste of space.

Welbeck on the wing... seriously, this is the ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL TEAM. We should be able to pick a winger to play on the wing, not an average striker who's only attribute is a bit of pace.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    So far the only big team that has impressed me was Germany, all the others are playing like garbage with a few exceptions like Holland and Italy...

As for my country, Portugal, i have a feeling we are gonna take the same plane as Spain and England... Hope i´m wrong...

My thoughts exactly Passion Fruit, most England players were garbage. And praising Ronney for doing an easy assist and goal...

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Ok boys
    Italy and Costa Rica
    I am a winner either way but I do root for Costa Rica since my son will cry if they don't go to the next round.
    CR has to score first they tell me and a lot jajajaja

20. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    jealousy eh :nerd: not winning even at failing :infinity: