Work computer freezes when bumped or under stress

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ALSAnalyst, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ALSAnalyst

ALSAnalyst Guest

GPU:
    inboard
    Hi, This is my first post here.
    I work at a Chemichal geological lab here, running an Atomic Absorption Spectrometer on an older HP desktop.
    It's an HP Compaq dx2300 Microtower
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU 1.8Ghz with 1 gig of ram.
    I'm not sure of the spacifics without racking open the case, which i need to get alot of OK's to do.

Anyway, I am running a program called Spectraa to collect data from the Spectrometer, and every now again if the tower gets even slightly bumped everything will lock up, having to force a restart and loseing all the data collected. Its been working great for the last year and a half and over the past month this issue has come up. The tower is palced on the floor since the tables have no room for it, and unfortunaly every now and again someone will walk by, or push a kart by or something, which will hit the table, bumping into the tower and causeing the issue. There is no chance of getting a new one, or most likely even any replacement parts unless its compleatly doa. If anyone could give me any advice as to what to look into when i'm able to get inside the tower that would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Sounds like something inside the case may be loose. Make sure the ram is in the slot securely and all connections to hard drives and mobo aren't loose in any way.

3. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    It looks like a connection problem of a cable/component to me.Try to fit everything more firmly into place,all power connectors,add in cards,memory etc.