Wondering if your Samsung Smartphone Gets Oreo? Here's a list.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Because the A3 shipped with Android MM (6.0), and Samsung release 3 major versions per device, so it will get or has got Nougat 7.0, then will get Oreo 8.0

S6 came with Lollipop 5.0 I'm guessing, then got MM 6.0, then Nougat 7.0, now EOL

CalculuS likes this.
  2. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Still better than Xiaomi... Redmi Note 2 was released with 5.0 and still has 5.0

3. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Would make more sense to update them to 8.1, this is the reason why I'd never touch a Samsung, the updates are terrible.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's bad

There are plenty of updates to Samsung phones (flagships anyway), they just don't like to go above the initial release version of Android for some reason, for example there have already been 10 Nougat updates for the S7, it's just that they've all been 7.0

But they're very late with the updates, getting August security patch in October, currently I am on the December 2017 security patch and it is now February 2018

But overall the updates are solid, I don't have any bugs that I know of

5. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Samsung is awful when it comes to updates. My Xperia x performance got already two updates since I updated to 8.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Pretty much all company's updates are terrible, save for a few like Google, or maybe One Plus who have a plethora of other problems.

Don't buy an Android phone expecting updates unless it's a flagship from a major company, in that case don't expect more than 1 guaranteed and don't expect it sooner than 10 months after Google releases it.

7. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Samsung's software (Touchwiz) is far more bloated than LineageOS.
    The main reason why I was using Cyanogenmod and later LineageOS on my Galaxy S5 was because of the lag when using Touchwiz.

It's much better now, but LineageOS was still more responsive on my S5 than Touchwiz is on my S8, simply because it's very lightweight. I'm very confident your tablet wouldn't have worked well with the Touchwiz version of Android 6.0 for example.

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Looks i'll be switching over to LineageOS soon then. My S6 Edge has been horribly sluggish and very poor on battery performance.

Long time since I fiddled with costum roms.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Touchwiz is only the launcher.
    What you are talking about is Samsung Experience. The reason why it feels heavier on your S8 is due to infinity screen and bixby. You can get much better performance with the right build.prop tweaks.
    I recently put a custom android 6 rom on a Samsung Note Pro (which has android 4 as stock).
    The system is faster and it has all the nice features/gui now. I tried LineageOS before but it had bugs like smartview not working.

LineageOS is basic as it can get. no fancy gui/animations or extras at all. Also be aware that if you like to take pictures, the quality is worse and other features might have bugs as well.

10. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    You pay too much attention to version numbers and not enough attention to what each version changes and such. For example, Samsung has so many features months and years before Google implements them into stock android but people ignore that and only go by version numbers which doesn't tell the full story. Let's take 8.1 as an example, many fixes there are for Google's Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices, which obviously aren't needed for Galaxy S8 because Samsung has it's own drivers and firmware.

Also let's look at something like Oneplus 5T, it's supposed to run nearly stock android yet it received Oreo update only today or yesterday. So don't blame Samsung, if you want day1 updates either get Google Pixel or get an iPhone.

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I'm not sure if I misunderstood you but..
    Samsung Experience is merely the new name for Touchwiz, the UI on top of Android that Samsung uses. It includes everything that makes the UI a Samsung, including the bloat of features. The apps are obviously not part of the UI per-se, but they are included with any stock Samsung phone.
    I'll look up the tweaks you're talking about, thanks for the suggestion. The phone is fine as it is right now but it just doesn't go that extra mile in responsiveness like LineageOS.

Good point about the LineageOS camera though, both it and the Cyanogenmod ROMs I had before made my camera almost completely useless for photos. Videos were ok though.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea because of the drivers and framework the camera needs to function at 100% quality, you need the stock camera app, and that requires TouchWiz ROMs, custom still work fine, but AOSP etc do not