Wolfenstein New Order Terrible performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kandata94, Feb 11, 2017.

1. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well, I remember when I benchmarked the game, that if I stand still the game would deliver 60FPS.
    But as soon as I started moving the game dropped to around 40/50 with the CPU Usage jumping to 100% and the GPU usage dropping, having a massive bottleneck.

If there is an engine that I hate the most it's clearly that ID Tech 5, it was awful in Rage, evil within, wolfenstein, any game that had that engine, the optimization was bad.

In dishonored 2, the dev team claimed their void engine was based on ID Tech 6, to be honest I think it was a lie, since ID Tech 6 was debuted with DOOM and Dishonored 2 was released some time after, not much, it was impossible that the VOID Engine was using the 100% of the ID Tech 6, I am starting to belive that the VOID Engine it's the ID Tech 5 with some refinements, since it runs like **** too, and don't look to different either, I can't see any similarity to ID Tech 6, but find a lot of them to the ID Tech 5, things like SSR and many other stuff on VOID engine are exactly the same to the ID Tech 5.

Carmack was a genious and had good ideias, but I think he was stuck in the past in many stuff.
    Tiago Sousa made an awesome job with ID Tech 6, and pretty much shows how much he had learned with Crytek with their Cryengine, Tiago Sousa worked several years at Crytek, I think demonstrates pretty well how Doom have such great visuals.

Prey is from the same developers as the Dishonored 1 and 2, but they are going to use Cryengine, so I believe that it would work much better than ID Tech 5 or their Void Engine.

2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I actually upgraded to my core i7 4770K at the time i was playing this game.

With my old CPU (i5 760) i did get very heavy FPS drops from 60 to 30 at some areas. After i put my core i7 4770K in, i did get the same drops without hyperthreading enabled. As soon as i enabled hyperthreading in the bios the game ran at a solid 60 FPS.

I'm 100% sure that hyperthreading did fix my performance issues at the time. You should take the recommendation to use a core i7 very seriously.

EDIT: I did play the game with an HD 7950 at 1080p. Everything or almost everything set to ultra (if i remember correctly)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Try this (this was my settings when i have 280X)

[7] Wolfenstein The New Order/Wolfenstein The Old Blood etc.

Some Optimalisation/Performance/Best Visual Options for OpenGL Engine used in Rage/Wolfenstein The New Order/Wolfenstein The Old Blood:

eg.
    c:\Users\*YourName*\Saved Games\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The Old Blood\base\wolftobConfig.cfg (please set it to Read Only !!)

===================================
    jobs_numthreads 8
    vt_uncompressedPhysicalImages "1"
    vt_lodbias "-2"
    r_multiSamples "2"
    image_lodbias "-2"
    image_anisotropy "16"
    image_useCompression "0"
    vt_useOpenCLTranscode "1"
    vt_useCudaTranscode “0"
    r_usehardwaretextures 1
    vt_pageImageSizeUnique "16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeVmtr "16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 “16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly “16384"
    vt_maxPPF “128"
    vt_lodbias “-2"
    hands_fovscale 1.0
    view_blur_max 0
    view_blur_min 0

Some games are covered by me here (2nd Big Post) -> http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5052475&postcount=3

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398484

4. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i just tested/recorded this and even did the FPS unlock (unsynch engine speed from FPS, similar to Fallout...) to see how much above 60 it would go.
    but basically i am at constant 60fps when FPS locked with a R9-270X
    and when i unlock i get between 60-100 fps
    (at around 60-70% utilization only, so that's where the OpenGL screen recording hurts and the GPU is idling with 30% of its resouces,)
    unfortunately i dont remember my perfect settings from last playthrough since this was a while ago and i reinstalled...)

here's the vid: Clicky.

(IMPORTANT NOTE: the fps counter of RTSS unfortunately shows a little more than double of the real FPS in the case when used in conjunction with OBS Studio to record OpenGL gameplay, so watch the ingame FPS counter on the right for the real result.)

yeah this is with 17.1.2 but i dont remember it being any different, performance wise, with older drivers when i played it.

that's all on win7 - 64bit of course :)

but whatever it is on your end (it could be windows 10 tbh, at least in its vanilla installed form, which as we know from multiple issues already can be a real nuisance...
    BUT... in the end... when i get 60fps-100fps on a 270x than you should get that too with a 280.
    so maybe just make a fresh install on a seperate partition and dual boot into windows 7 and just use this windows 7 installation for testing games that seem to work bad on windows 10... you may be surprised about the outcome.

but yeah, i have to admit that the time i invested in my installation to slim it down to the pure bare mininum is quite a lot...

just try onnas config first anyway, and then maybe temporary try win7 as suggested.

5. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    So, Phenom II X4 955 is enough for Nvidia gpus, but AMD gpus need i7s for this game. That is beyond ****ty, even from AMD.

6. dd4000

dd4000 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050Ti 4GB
    Everything maxed out on 1080p and I am still getting 60fps no matter what I am doing in the game. And since my GPU is a mediocre one, I tend to believe that it's about CPU.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Video drivers can cause higher cpu use too.
    Or more reliance on memory speed.

8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I remember that area right after you wake up after being in a coma for 20 years. It ran horrible with only 4 threads, but it was very nice and stable with 8 threads (hyperthreading). It was definitely related to the CPU.

Why the game runs so bad with 4 threads is beyond me. To me it just looks like bad optimization.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's decoding textures on the fly and on AMD it can't really use the GPU for it, so HT gives it an almost linear performance boost (close to 30%).

10. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Yes, I pretty much remember that the decode of the textures is made by the CUDA, at least it was that way on the RAGE (F*** you Carmack seriously)

There was a benchmark in-game for people to test their speed to decode the textures, and nvidia was all over the top due to the fact ID Tech 5 used CUDA for that, and who had AMD had to use the CPU for the task.

So basically the trend continued to the other ID Tech 5 games, it isn't noticable in evil within because I believe the game didn't used the MEGA Texturing, but wolfenstein games did use it.

As for the consoles, I believe they implemented it with OpenCL, as for PC you need CUDA.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Would be nice if they patched the OpenCL support to the PC version ffs.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    AMD did also implement a new feature special for this mega texture, think in Fiji+

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That was actually there since GCN 1.0, believe it or not.

14. kandata94

kandata94 Active Member

GPU:
    R9 280X DirectCU II
    Windows 7 + Catalyst 14.6 = Constant 60fps

[​IMG]

I don't know how, but crimson + Opengl don't work well both on windows 7 and windows 10.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions, maybe i can finally enjoy the game. :)

15. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Yeah, I figured as much, did you try anything newer? 14.6 is pretty damn ancient!

16. valkyrjur

valkyrjur Member

GPU:
    AMD 6700XT
    Not true at all. With my amd 390x i can't even have constant 60 fps. My cpu is a I5 3570K clocked at 4.0 Ghz and 16 Gb of ram at 1600 Mhz.

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    I dont get why this game is so hard to run, It looks nice or even decent at times but I just ran it right now to test it out I can still play on Ultra Fx 8320e @ 4.2ghz and Gtx 780 @ 1165 Mhz gpu core it stays at 60 fps no problem whatsoever.

I did run into some problems in the past with this title however tried something called page filing if iam not mistaken? There was a few fixes going around for it, Or you had to force v-sync from Nvidia control panel-That fixed it for me.Follow all the steam guides they 4 sure helped me.

Also in this game i7 4790k vs Fx 8320e same freakin performance! The game engine is complete crap if you ask me.

18. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    -overclock your cpu
    -or get a faster one
    -or switch to nvidia

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Used to play with 290X and iirc setting texture ppf to 32 or lower and forcing vsync+triple buffer from control panel or RadeonPro allowed for a locked 60 fps throughout (other settings maxed except antialiasing I think).

Injected SMAA+FXAA with ReShade too. Dropping ppf makes pop-in more noticeable but fixes stuttering/frame drops.

Edit: also like said shadow maps no higher than 2048. This I found to be consistent with other engines/games as well. 4k shadow maps would always cause framedrops.

OP worked around the issue I see but iirc played just fine in Win 10 too with the above.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  20. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    The ram is fine and is not causing the issue.