Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, I said there is no final boss. They went against what was expected or standard, by not having a final boss... and making Frau even less powerful. She was lacking in power so much that BJ was able to easily kill her with little effort.
    There is one new enemy that does not show up until the final level, specifically the final section before the actual end scene.

The "Zerstörer", you fight two of them on top of the Ausmerzer. They take the place of what would've normally been a final boss.
    But, you only fight three of them the entire game. Two at the end of the main campaign, and one more when you finish the last Ubercommander mission.

TNC feels more in line with TNO, using larger mech enemies in place of standard boss fights. TNO only had two bosses, the London Monitor and Deathshead. Otherwise it used UberSoldats and Panzerhunds in place of "boss" like enemies.

The Old Blood featured two distinct bosses because of it being two separate DLC campaigns that were merged together for a single, stand alone release.
    But, MachineGames did hire new people as the studio grew after TNO. But, all the same core people were in the same lead positions from the first game, through Old Blood and into Colossus. They've commented that they've had the main story beats of their trilogy mapped out since The New Order was being made.
    And they wanted Colossus to be different, being the middle entry.

2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I still don't know what the New Colossus is.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Probably referencing a certain scene in the game.

Although they can't show the actual "Colossus" for age rating reasons and ESRB being overly sensitive to certain subjects. :p

KryptoBob likes this.
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    The hotfix patch fixed the game crashing but still got "out of VRAM" error.

Apparently now using Uber Image Streaming setting makes 6 GB cards run out of VRAM (didn't happen before official patch).
    Setting Image Streaming to Ultra fixed it (VRAM consumption ab. 4 GB).

Or maybe the Uber setting is bugged and reserves more VRAM than it should?

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The "Uber" setting exceeds 6GB, that is true. For me it goes to 6.5GB usage and incurs a huge perf penalty. That setting needs an 8GB card.

6. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I just finished the game again, and I still gave no idea what you could be referencing.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    The.
    Decapitated Ubersoldier that Anja captured before the game - Visible in the container in Seth Roths lab. - and giving Blazko a new immortal body as a replacement for his badly wounded and severely irradiated old body that was going to fail in a few months anyway but after Engel decapitates him he gets this as a replacement though his old body only really worked with the power armor making up for those injuries and that is also referenced in-game as having a cap of 50 health initially but 200 armor which then lets you have 100 health after that scene and also higher armor though it gradually decreases below 100 without certain perks. :)

That's what I'm getting from the New Colossus title at least, B.J making a recovery and basically being able to live and maintain peak fitness and performance almost forever as a result of the bio engineered body replacement.
    (Will be interesting to see if they'll do that for Adolf too in the next game and finally dealing with him although there's not really much of a mind left in that body going by the movie script scene where's he has a short appearance and then disappears.)

Will be interesting to see if Blazko is part of the Wolfenstein 1989 storyline at all though gameplay will probably only focus on the two daughters and somehow both of them found new sets of that power armor going by the early teaser video released.
    (One of them seemingly focused on close combat and the other on ranged likely building for a co-op feature in the game itself or having protagonists with wildly different and branching skill sets or unlockable perks.)

EDIT: There could be a different meaning too behind it, maybe the resistance or rising up against the odds. I'm thinking it's more about B.J himself though and not the others.
    (And well the way it works these days leaving room for even more sequels.)

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    But the legend of Colossus of Rhodes means like something huge (colossal) easily falls due to weak 'basement'. So may be colossus is the regime.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Ah I was thinking of the colossus but I wasn't aware of the meaning of the legend behind it. :)

So "New" Colossus? Something like the rise of the US again? Overall the regime is still around although B.J's caused quite a bit of damage now though more so in the last game since Deathshead while old was still one of their lead scientists and behind almost all of their scientific leads and advancements going back to Return to Castle Wolfenstein although the story of that and Wolfenstein 2009 is only loosely referenced in these last two installments for the most part.

EDIT: Yeah that might actually fit in much better, one whole country freed is going to be more of a long-term accomplishment than one single man and that's probably continued upon from the next game when that comes out.
    (And the one after that no doubt, Nazis in Space!)

EDIT: No I'm turning it around aren't I, the fall of the regime due to weakening leadership and well the in-game newspapers show a critical lack of resources, economical problems and lack of troops all over Africa, Europe, Asia and America.
    (Those Panzerhound mechs are apparently really straining on the war economy and that's nothing on the Destroyer mechs later on, not that the game really shows that but it's the surrounding added scope of the story and how things have changed since New World Order.)

EDIT: Ah now I remember, one of the clips or briefings perhaps even goes into this a bit more with the bigger siege robot you toppled earlier being salvaged by the commander you're there to assassinate as a optional Enigma mission because it's just that costly to build them all from scratch.

Maybe also something for the next game then, weakened grip allowing for a attempt at liberating what looks like Europe once again. Though the story could be anything but it'll be interesting to see what Machine Games will be setting up both gameplay and story wise.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    mbk1969 likes this.
  10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, it'll be interesting to see what does happen.
    MachineGames wrote their Wolfenstein story as a trilogy. They said it was good to have a finite story, an ending to work towards. So they weren't just going on and on forever with their story.

But, then they have the little side titles like The Old Blood and the upcoming Youngblood to flesh out the world, add more content and build the story in between main titles.
    While we'll get Wolfenstein 3 in a few years, chances are it'll have it's own stand alone expansion similar to the previous titles.

Right now, I'm really excited for Youndbloods. I mean, it's a new setting... going to Paris. Set 20 years after Wolf 2, so updated weapons and, each daughter is wearing a power suit so... possibly different abilities.
    Hopefully we'll get to see the game pretty soon.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Ok, thanks for confirming.

Yeah same, first heap (VRAM) is around 5900 MB and second (RAM) is around 650 MB based on game's own stats.

12. KryptoBob

KryptoBob New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT44/1.5GB
    Please help this 71 year old gamer with Wolfenstein II.

When I started the game, I chose the Ramshackles for my character.
    Now I'm in the Command Center, killed everything in sight, and trying to get up on the cat-walk. Can't jump.
    I watched a full game walkthrough and had to put it on .5 speed to see how he did it. Well, he had the stilts.
    I've searched through options, etc., and don't see how I can switch to Stilts.
    I've finished this game once before and have no idea how I did it. LOL
    Playing on a desktop PC.
    Thanks.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    With the ram shackles, you can sprint into things to break them. So you probably just need to ram down a door or fence or something like that.

14. flimbo

flimbo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Wow a 71 year old playing Wolfenstein. Cheers!

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Shooting nazis in the face is timeless :)

16. KryptoBob

KryptoBob New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT44/1.5GB
    I tried ramming what should be an easily broken metal barrier next to the forklift. I just bounce off of it, leading me to believe that I no longer have the ramming capability.

Re your other comment, it gives me great pleasure obliterating Nazis. LOL

Cheers,
    Bob

17. KryptoBob

KryptoBob New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT44/1.5GB
    Yeah, XBox One S & PS4. Been gaming since the mid 80s when playing Pong with my son. MS Flight Simulator when the graphics were crude by today's standards, always got the upgraded versions. The epiphany was the first Doom game. Eerie, spooky and loads of funs. COD games, etc. Lara Croft's recent version. LOL

I can't relate to anyone older than 50!

Cheers,
    Bob

Solfaur likes this.
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I found a playthrough of someone who's also using the ram shackles. You'd have to pinpoint the exact video in the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLClY3bOF3ZUCz_VjXKmPYTu9UNU81j-9b

KryptoBob likes this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    KryptoBob likes this.
  20. KryptoBob

KryptoBob New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT44/1.5GB
    Yup, at 11:38 he pushed through the barrier with no problem. I ran at it and bounced off. I don't have the Ram Shackles any more for some reason. Thanks anyway.

Cheers,
    Bob