Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I haven't tried the game since the update.
    Let me give it a go...

EDIT:
    Started up, loaded my last save and traveled to another district to do a side mission.
    No crashes or issues.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    What driver version are you using?

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti

Haven't updated in a bit simply because the latest release hasn't offered any fixes/improvements I needed.

4. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Maybe they changed the VRAM requirement with the update?

Works fine on my end, but I'm on a 1080 Ti.

5. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I purposely stayed away from this 1 at release. But decided for the price of 24 bucks, it might not be too bad to try the campaign now. Visually it looks pretty good to amazing. Runs nice as well. No issues on all Ultra. Everything as far as the obvious political stuff is more or less batshiz crazy. I totally ignore whatever message might be trying to be made if any. I do think whoever wrote the story is a tad bent for sure. lol Level design seems too gamey and dated. The interesting visuals and set pieces make up for that though. Love the mocap animations. The acting and voice stuff is awesome. As camp as it gets. Over the top and nutty. hehhhehhe Character designs very nice. I am surprised how disturbing it has been at times so far. It seems like it was designed by a Dev Team housed in a mental asylum tbh. Still have not completed it. I do like this waaaaay better then Wolfenstein.... The New Oder. Since I am only 2 hours into the Campaign, I am sure I`ll be running into plenty more insanity as I get further in. hehhhe

ramthegamer likes this.
  6. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Hotfix is out in beta for VRAM errror. Something changed in the code and now it gives that error if you pick settings your card can't handle.

AsiJu likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thanks!

Based on stats game fills VRAM almost full which is likely by design. Worked / ran fine before with same settings so must be the patch.

The warning message was added on purpose, stated on patch notes, but the crash / unwarranted warning is something else.

Guess this is something with newer Vulkan RT and Maxwell cards (patch updated Vulkan RT the game uses I think).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  9. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I decided to fire this game up again since finishing it in December. I don't know if it's the new patch or improved Vulkan drivers from nVidia since last Decmeber, but it a lot smoother.

The texture pop-in is gone as far as I can tell, and the only time I drop frames is when my GPU utilization goes over 100% a few times when intense explosions happen.

The only other thing I changed in my system since then is that I run my GTX 970 in MSI driver mode instead of the default line interrupt.

Thank God, they included the Heap size in the stats. With the GTX 970, if it goes over 3.5 GB, the game doesn't load the level and it reports it hitting the 2nd heap hard. So I HAVE to keep the texture streaming setting on High... there the heap size is about 3.2 GB.

Now all they need to fix is the level design...

10. kalub

kalub Member

GPU:
    1GB memory size
    Wolfenstein II is certainly a good game, a dynamic FPS with a smart combat system
    But, it has for me a huge problem: The labyrinths, On a level we spend a lot of time looking for the path.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019

11. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    This is my biggest issue with the game. The level design is confusing. In my first play-through, I must have spend 20 minutes in an certain areas, after killing all the enemies, finding a way to proceed. In my 2nd play through, I got stuck again in one part... in the beginning trying to find the axe and escaping the Engel encounter... completely un-intuitive. I blasted through the other confusing parts because I remembered them from a few months back.

When you remember the level layouts and stealth the game, it's easy. It's just a worse game design compared to The New Order and The Old Blood.

12. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

Awesome stuff...An Ode to Wolfenstein...(runs on teh Doom1 engine)

AsiJu likes this.
  13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I have small issues with the levels, but it has nothing to do with the design or layout of them.
    Didn't find them confusing, or poorly designed. I was just less then thrilled to see certain sections reused as side missions.

But, the levels themselves, I felt were fine.
    Sorry, I don't mean this in a bad way or anything... but, if you found Wolf 2's level design to be like a "labyrinth" how did you far with older shooters?
    Even Wolf 2's most complicated level has nothing on some early 90s FPS games.

Personally, I still find the level design in MachineGames' Wolf titles to be a little too straight forward. It's damn good stuff, but they could stand to incorporate a bit more need to exploration and investigation to reach a goal.

Shataan likes this.
  14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The game started strong, then went a bit downhill directly following that certain "wtf" scene with the... head. (Trying to avoid spoilers.)

It's not only the level design. The game has balancing issues. If you play at the hardest setting, you get bullet sponges while you die in 1 hit, and the only way to play it is 100% stealth, and quick load every time you get caught. If you lower the difficulty, the game is too easy...

Also you get stuck a lot on terrain or walls, which makes me believe the game was somewhat rushed, as these are obvious signs of lack of polish.

Finally, it has the usual "completionist" issues as many modern games. It makes you feel like you have to backtrack and/or replay whole levels and find letters, gold, journals, etc, just to artificially increase the total playtime. It's not as bad as Doom 4 in that regard though, since you don't get upgrade points here.

7/10. Pretty good, but could have been pretty epic if it wasn't for those issues.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^^ Yup, compared to TNO where I barely used the pistol except to complete any challenges, in this one it was my most used weapon and it wasn't because it was the most powerful or versatile weapon. You had to play stealth or be cut down very quickly. There was practically no damage feedback either and you could die quickly without even realizing you were being shot from the back in a fight. The courtroom arena was easily the worst among the lot.

Even the villains were poorly handled. Frau Engel was an amazing villain and they did practically nothing with her and the big man himself who obviously should've been the villain in the next game was turned into a joke. The side characters you get for the resistance were also awful and from what I can recall from the E3 teaser for wolf3, they've clearly not accomplished anything lol.

I tried to find a ng+ mode so that I can have proper health stats from the get go and ended up overwriting my save lol. Dunno why this was absent unlike TNO. TNO was amazing and Old Blood ended just as it started getting good (but forgivable) but this one was a major disappointment. If I hadn't bought it, I wouldn't have labored through the game to get to the credits. I won't be there for young blood's launch for sure. I guess TNO was a fluke.

Solfaur likes this.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    There is no E3 teaser for Wolf 3.
    Youngblood is to TNC what The Old Blood was to TNO.

Wolf 3 will come after Youngblood.
    And, the resistance did accomplish something. Youngblood takes place 19 years after the events of Wolf 2, where they've completely liberated the US, and are branching out to clear the Nazis out of the rest of the world.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sounds even worse than I thought then lol.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yep play it from time to time, very nice!

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    And again, I feel like the odd man out. :)
    I really liked Wolf 2, The New Order was better, but Colossus was still a damn good game.
    I didn't have any problems with the level design, and felt the combat was solid. The hit indicators were pretty "meh" at release, but they improved those with a patch... making it easier to tell where you are being hit from.

And, I love that they circumvented what would've been standard or expected by not having a final boss. By doing that it showed how weak Frau actually was when compared to BJ. She couldn't stand toe to toe with him when he was at his peak.

As for the "big man" being turned into a joke, that was the point. Everyone was expecting him to be this big powerhouse, intimidating and such, and they show he's basically nothing more then a broken down, sickly man. Which worked. And does fit in the what will possibly be in the third game. As MachineGames were asked if we would see MechaHitler in Wolf 2, they responded that "we have to keep something for the third game".
    Him being silky and weak, he needs the mech suit to battle directly.

The Old Blood I liked because the combat is solid. It put a much stronger focus on larger fights and less story. But, I felt the final boss was meh.
    Too easy, it felt really odd... and I just didn't like it. But, I enjoyed everything else in TOB.
    And I'm looking forward to Youngblood. Again, a new location in Nazi occupied Paris. Playing as BJ's daughters as they go out to find their father who disappeared on a mission.

20. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Well... on that topic... a bit of spoilers... but there is no final boss battle... or any boss battles really. The final level is just a rehash of the first. Same enemies... just more of them.

It really feels like Machine Games cleaned house after The Old Blood and hired a bunch of new people... it simply doesn't feel like it was made by the same developers.

lucidus likes this.