Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, god forbid BJ show emotion and sadness over the death of a friend.
    A character that's been a main part of the Wolf series since the 2009 game. And people really need to learn what "emo" actually is. Nothing about how BJ acts or what he says is "emo".

mbk1969 likes this.
  2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    does anyone know the console command for skipping a level/mission ?

kinda stuck at the (refuel the helicopter) mission

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If you have Fergus timeline then you should have LaserKraftWerk, and you just need to stick fully charged LaserKraftWerk to helicopter and fire.

Or you have a bug and unable to do it?

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Bought Wolf 2 after a long wait and question (haven't had time to try it out yet):

I understood initial performance for Maxwell (and earlier) GPUs wasn't exactly optimal, has it improved since launch?
    Asking as all performance reviews (Guru's included) seem to be from release days.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I haven't heard anything but since the game is old now I'd assume such bugs are ironed out. Due to Vulcan I can only assume you'll have a wonderful time with the game on your GPU :)

AsiJu likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thanks, but actually Doom too took quite a while to work properly (some really weird frame pacing issue) and performance wise even match OpenGL with Vulkan on Maxwell.

Pascal GPUs and of course / especially AMD GPUs performed notably better.

Wolf 2 being Vulkan only (not that it's a bad thing) was slightly worrisome as it's a pretty demanding game any way I think.
    Still release day benchmarks showed 980 Ti doing 70+ fps on 1080p with max. preset so not too bad.

But if you look at for example Guru3D's Wolf 2 charts, a 980 Ti barely outperforms a 1060 so you know things aren't optimal for Maxwell gen.
    Pascal GPUs in general do notably better vs. Maxwell. Meaning notably better in a way that isn't fully explained by performance increase alone.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I play np at 2880x1620p dsr, everything on max except shadows to high instead of uber and i get avg 100-120fps.. some dips to low 80-90s..

Just don't change much while ingame or fps will be a bit lower then usual. When I tested one spot 110, changed settings, then it was 90-100..

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Dat's more like it! Thanks :)

Quite a jump if at release 980 Ti managed 70+ fps average @ 1080p and now 100+ fps @ 1620p.

Granted Guru3D's chart uses reference card and factory OC cards do a lot better but still numbers were lowish.

Should have no problems hitting 75 fps then. 60 would have been acceptable but 75 Hz / fps is so much better for shooters. Well, everything really.

-Tj- likes this.
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Just don't max out shadows, when i set to uber or mainleben it crawled to 30-40fps, but I didn't see any real difference at high, maybe less sharp, but usually I like softer look.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    All right, good to know.

Actually that explains the result for performance charts if highest preset was used.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Might be a driver bug, perhaps they're running on a beta or dev driver internally compared to the release drivers for AMD or NVIDIA though if that's so then this should have been tested against 398. what it was again for NVIDIA ideally the non-hotfix base driver and then for AMD 18.8.1 I think is still the latest.

Vulkan runtime update should be suggested and linked to if required as well (1.1.81.1 being the latest was it?) and I do know the NVIDIA Vulkan branch has additional bug fixes but I don't know if this applies to older games unless they updated the internal Vulkan driver to a 1.1 based SDK or if they're still on 1.0

Eh with the amount of reported issues internal testing should be easy enough for them to be able to replicate and fix if it's something they can code around on their end without requiring newer minimum display driver versions. :)

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I noticed Wolf 2 got an update yesterday when starting Steam, didn't try the game yet post-patch though.

Hope it still runs... because it's very good!

Personally think the game also looks very good. Don't know about release state (just bought) but most of the textures are very hi-res. The odd low-res here and there but nothing major.
    Lighting is as good as you'd expect from idTech 6.

I kind of get the criticism towards character models. I wouldn't say they're necessarily worse than TNO's or TOB's but certainly different and not for the better, look more kind of "synthetic".

Minor gripe though and the game is just as good a shooter as previous ones.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    nvm

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah, game gives a warning "video driver has run out of dedicated video memory..." and soft crashes when trying to load a save...

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I haven't tried the game since the update.
    Let me give it a go...

EDIT:
    Started up, loaded my last save and traveled to another district to do a side mission.
    No crashes or issues.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    What driver version are you using?

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti

Haven't updated in a bit simply because the latest release hasn't offered any fixes/improvements I needed.

19. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Maybe they changed the VRAM requirement with the update?

Works fine on my end, but I'm on a 1080 Ti.

20. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I purposely stayed away from this 1 at release. But decided for the price of 24 bucks, it might not be too bad to try the campaign now. Visually it looks pretty good to amazing. Runs nice as well. No issues on all Ultra. Everything as far as the obvious political stuff is more or less batshiz crazy. I totally ignore whatever message might be trying to be made if any. I do think whoever wrote the story is a tad bent for sure. lol Level design seems too gamey and dated. The interesting visuals and set pieces make up for that though. Love the mocap animations. The acting and voice stuff is awesome. As camp as it gets. Over the top and nutty. hehhhehhe Character designs very nice. I am surprised how disturbing it has been at times so far. It seems like it was designed by a Dev Team housed in a mental asylum tbh. Still have not completed it. I do like this waaaaay better then Wolfenstein.... The New Oder. Since I am only 2 hours into the Campaign, I am sure I`ll be running into plenty more insanity as I get further in. hehhhe

ramthegamer likes this.