With my XFX8800GTS I get an enormous drop in framerate after playing 10minutes or so.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tonvanrijn, Jun 19, 2007.

1. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    (It strikes me that I couldn't find much info here on this subject, or didn't I search enough ?)
    Anyway with my newly bought XFX8800GTS, after around 10 minutes gaming (e.g. Oblivion) my framerate drops from 50-50fps to 10-15fps.
    It is definively not a power or heat issue (Zalman 600W psu and 4 case fans, gpu temp around 75-80*C under load) and I have tried all kind of things, including disabling Turbocache and changing some Bios settings, but nothing helps.
    In other forums I found numerous threads on this subject - apparently many other 8800GTS owners have the same problems - but no solution yet. The only temporary fix seems to be to Alt+Tab out and in the game again, but that solves it only for another 10 minutes or so.
    So I was curious if anyone here has found a permanent fix already.
    Or should I go for a complete different card ?

2. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Yeah had this a bit also with my pair just after installing them. I haven't had it since I manually set the 3d settings in the driver. I have mine at 16x AF, supersampling, 8xSLI AA, AFR1, force vsync... So try messing around with those. I actually was getting the lag when my AA was set to 4x, :S ? , so thats my guess. Like your said you're hardware looks good to me.

What games do you play? Do all the games lag?

3. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I am having a similar issue, thus why I am surfing the forums at the moment. My issue happens with BF2. Have even dropped the video settings to 1024/768 @ medium quality and have tried different drivers.

4. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    I must say that I mainly play Oblivion.
    With nHancer I already set AA to Off and AF to 8x.
    I also disabled Turbocaching with RivaTuner as was suggested in some other forum threads, but didn't help either.

5. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    I'm sure in most cases its a driver issue or driver conflict with previous driver files.

In BF2 make sure to erase previous video optimization files in My Documents > Battlefield 2 folder I believe its in the 'mod' folder. That may help.

6. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Did you use some program to erase the previous drivers, like 'Drivercleaner' ?

Maybe you should try AA and AF because the card can handle it.

7. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Because I also bought a new cpu and mobo, I did a clean install of Windows XP and the NVidia drivers (the latest 158.22), so that can't be the problem.
    Maybe my card can handle AA, but wouldn't there be a chance that the problem only increases when I enable it ?

8. mightyfox

mightyfox New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte 8800 gts 320
    i actually have the exact same problem on lots of games.
    i am running a c2d e6600 , 2 gb ram and a gigabyte 8800 gts also using a 650 w psu , mobo is a p5ne-sli.

9. Behelit

Behelit Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Hydro
    i installer the 160.03 , i had problems and freez with the 158.22
    Clean it and install 160.03.

10. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Well that would make sense in our brains but come on this is programming. The reason I say this is because I had my SLI in 4x AA (going along with your thinking) and it was worse but then I put it to 8xSLI and it works amazingly. Just mess around with the driver. It might just be something to do with Oblivion, have you patched the game?

11. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I have the same problem in oblivion, I couldn't figure out what was causing it, and someone suggested disabling my onboard sound, and with the sound off the fps drops went away. Obviously you shouldn't have to play without sound, so I've emailed bethesda, but they still havn't given me a solution yet.

I've tried using a different soundcard but it still happened, so it must be some kind of conflict in the Direct3D/audio, but as of yet, I'm not playing oblivion.

12. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Yes, I have patched it.
    From various threads on other forums I understood that it also happens with other games, not only with Oblivion.

13. mightyfox

mightyfox New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte 8800 gts 320
    it happens to me any demanding game not just oblivion also i disabled onboard sound and nothing myabe some 8800 gts 320's are just defective...

14. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    It sounds like a memory leak problem - the memory gets full and WIN starts swapping. Try looking for increased HDD activity when the FPS drop begins.

15. mightyfox

mightyfox New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte 8800 gts 320
    yeah i heard this memory leak theory aswell but i did everything i possibly could ( formatted hd , tried a diff one , tried every possible driver , tried on xp and vista, used some riva tuner tweaks ...).
    This just seems hopeless, guess im just gonna return it and try getting a 640 mb version but what if it happens with that aswell lol ?

16. ajua

ajua Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 Black Edition
    i recently finish fear extraction point, ghost recon advanced warfighter and stalker without any single problem (except that i had to run GRAW with compatibility mode ir order to avoid some game random crashes). have you downloaded all available windows updates, directx 2-month updates (maybe try installing directx10 also)...just a suggestion.
    for mobo and video card drivers install only WHQL versions and not beta to see if it solves the problem.

17. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I made two changes last night and played BF2 for hours with no issues.
    Changes were installed Z-tweaked V158.19 drivers and changed fan to 100 percent via RivaTuner.

18. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Maybe I am speaking too soon, because I haven't yet played long enough, but I returned the XFX8800GTS and exchanged it for a EVGA8800GTS (basic, not overclocked model) and it looks as if the problem is gone. I played Oblivion for half an hour, walking through dense forests, and apart from a few stutters when entering a new area, the framerate stayed above 40fps, sometimes even above 60fps.
    Keep my fingers crossed but it looks as if the EVGA is less sensitive for this problem as the XFX.

19. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Update:
    Spoke too soon indeed. Same problem with the EVGA.

20. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    I read that it also happens with the 640MB and even with the GTX, although it takes a little longer.

An yes, I used only the official WHQL drivers and have the latest mobo drivers.