With all of the problems, PC still your first choice?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jigsore, Mar 18, 2007.

1. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)
    I think it depends on the game

If I wanna play NCAA '0x or Soul Caliber 2 or Zelda or Guitar Hero etc, I prefer to play it on a console with a controller

But FPS and strategy games are far more enjoyable on a PC. I cannot handle playing an FPS on a console. The only one I could stand was Metroid:prime, and it was on a big TV with me sitting ni a beanbag about 3 ft from the TV. I can't sit across the living room and play HL2 on a 27 inch or so TV. It just doesn't work.

I spent a little less than 300 on my monitor, and I got a 22 inch LCD widescreen, and it does 1680x1050. My system runs everything at that resolution (well STALKER + Vista seems a little slow, the MP beta on XP ran much faster), and you cannot buy a TV with a higher native resolution until you started spending close to 2000 dollars.

Also, I can upgrade my PC at anytime, and if something breaks then I can just replace that part and be back in business in no time. I've rarely had any sort of hardware issues, and the ones I have had were totally my fault

k rambling mode off

2. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Good heavens, what kind of work are you doing to your PC where you consider it a chore to get it working? You don't have to overclock your system to play games that look exceptionally good - many people do it more as a hobby with benefits than a 'need'. PC gaming for me is easier than consoles because for many of the games I play I don't need to switch disks. How many games at this time require Vista to play, and absolutely will not work on XP? Driver support in Vista will mature. I don't abhor consoles, but the main reason I don't play them is because for the amount of the console, there may only be a couple of games that I enjoy. With a PC, I've got a business machine, an entertainment center, it holds recipes, and it'll even play games.

3. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)
    exactly. When the PS3 was 1st announced, everyone was all about OMG ITS WAY BETTER THAN ANY PC. Fast forward to when it was actually released, and now we have the 8 series, which destroy almost everything else

4. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    This is whats sad and always made me angry about pc gaming. Why does it take 2 to 3 600$ or more graphics cards to push graphics when the same old consol, with no hardware changes, always manages to keep up with the pace? The answer is capitalism, and it is fueled by people like you and me who always buy huge amounts of hardware that is never fully used, and then another game comes out that is coded badly makes us all pour another boat load of cash to play it nicely. In the other corner, the same xbox, which has not changed, gets games out that get incrementally better visually, because while the hardware didnt get better the software got much better and more optimized. Maybe you think the former is better, but the end result is you dont get what you pay for with the pc.

Again, your not taking into consideration what i just mentioned above. We are paying a ton of cash to buy graphic cards to give us these little boosts in graphics, while you will get the same boost in graphics for the next 5 or so years (or however long these consols last til new ones will come out) without paying anything extra. You dont upgrade, you just benefit from more optimized games, as well as other unlocks coders often find in the hardware (xbox 1 comes to mind with games like halo2 and mech assault 2)

taking these facts, the pc in my eyes is not the omg pwnage machine. It is the omg pwnage where did my wallet go, and because of how much we spent on it, so many people figuer "well, it cost a hell of a lot more, has all these fancy features (many of which will never be used or be used very poorly in games) so its gotta be way better than this consol over here". I am also not able to see the future, but i am basing these ideas and opinions off of past history.

basically, in my eyes, they are both equal. That is why i have bought them all. Not to mention every consol has its own plethera of exclusives you miss out on not having them. Lots of fun to lose being a pc only person.

5. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    double post, and in wrong forum. sorry

6. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    The Xbox has a GeForce 3, not a geforce 2. It also uses a 733mhz celeron, not a pentium.

7. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    Well, if were on that note. It is neither. It was a special breed that was a geforce 2.0. It was in the middle of what a geforce 2 and 3 would be (hard to explain, prolly easier to just google it).Closest thing i could point to for comparison is the xbox360 chip. It is sort of in the middle of the current ati cards and the new r600. As for the cpu, from what i read it was a pent, but maybe it wasnt. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  8. Jigsore

Jigsore Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx 280 sli evga
    One of the things I am trying to point out is that even though the 8800 series may wipe the floor with this, that, or the other console technology, the fact remains that a lot of games are not playable on the PC platform right now, and a lot of other applications wont work with Vista yet. So I still ask, what is it about the frustration of PC gaming that drives people like ME, and you to continue to endure the endless pursuit of a challenge that is out of our hands. Until the card manufacturers decide for the technology to work properly it won't. I hope to god I can actually play Crysis, and these other games when they launch, because if it were a console game I would be playing it on day one without issues.

9. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB

It is a special geForce chip made by nvidia specifically for the xbox, it is most comparable to the GeForce 3 in terms of architecture and performance, notably the pixel shader support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Detailed_specifications

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?PHPSESSID=255094802cbc63f0a81820ea369f4351&card1=134&card2=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_celeron#Coppermine-128

10. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Uhmm yeah..........i dont know if you read some interviews online with the company that made GOW. But they said and stated that in order for the xbox360 to come up with such graphics they had to use most of its power on up to 80%............Basically so far the 360 has reached its limit.

Yes the PS3 is not used to its full power but i can assure you that by the time they access the so-called power the PC gaming industry will be way ahead. Just read some articles and you will know. I mean Nvidia is already pushing shader model 5.0 which the PS3 cant even do. Heck it cannot do Shader model 4.0 which the 8800 series of cards posses.

And before you go ahead and flame me i have a 360 and let me tell ya that for the past few months i have not touched it because there were far too many good games on the PC to keep me occupied. I also play the PS3 (since i work in a gamestore) everyday and let me tell you that most of the PS3 titles are nothing to brag about that they look really good. I have seen games that look way better on PC.

11. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
  12. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Is always worth a try.

As for me, I'm considering getting an xbox 360, it would work well with my PC. Plug the xbox into the VGA port in the back of my screen, and I can pass the audio in through my sound card, perfect, both console and PC working together, and I can switch between the two at a press of a button.

13. shodai

shodai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7950gt 550/1400 w/vf900
    First choice? Yes.

1. Building & modding = hobby
    2. Fruits of labor = <3

:)

14. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    alot of gaming whores are also multi media freaks so the pc serves all their needs.

15. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    @Laykun

You might have just as well read my mind...
    Damn I was planning the exact thing! :gape:

16. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Both!

I've just bought an Xbox 360 and hardly had any problems or significant slow-downs so far.

PC will be ahead soon. I will upgrade in one year or another but I also feel quite helpless as the product cycle is so short.

In addition, my PC crashes in games lke NFS: Carbon quite frequently.

Of course, higher resolution (considering a high-def LCD is most affordable than a HDTV) and the perfect aiming playing FPS account for much.

17. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    This is also true. I have around about a terabyte of multimedia that I love to troll through.

Actually I have already done it with a friends xbox, so that I could play through gears of war. Passing audio in through my sound card meant I could also have music running in the background, and expand the 2 channel sound over 5.1 speakers.

18. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Why are you guys compairing them??? Why do threads about pc games and console always turn out to being a comparision fest...

Like I said above, the thread is not about which is better, It's about why you pick PC games despite sometimes having to work to get it running...

quit the back and forth competition...

19. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    Or maybe its because i own them all and can easily see the pluses and minuses of each and weigh them all in at the end... but its no skin off my nose. I was just trying to say that neither is the end all. They all rock!

To be back on topic:
    As far as the pc is concerned, there is something to be said about setting up networks with yer buds to play some games :) so i d have to say that i enjoy that aspect of using the pc.

20. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I need to own a computer for work, email, web surfing and the like anyway so it may as well be my gaming platform also.

I've had no real problems gaming on my XP rig over the past few years and I'm wise enough to wait for Vista drivers to mature before going there so thats a non-issue for me anyway.

I have nothing against consoles but I just don't need or want one at the moment. I suppose if I saw some real advantage to console gaming I would get one but I just don't see it.