With all of the problems, PC still your first choice?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jigsore, Mar 18, 2007.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well, if we are at it, my C2D CPU is doing that too. Also graphic card.
    Except my CPU is running at 2,4GHz :p

2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    My only problems with nvidia have been with video settings. Resetting colors, broken decode accl, etc have me really thinking about ATI next time I upgrade even if the #D performance isn't as good.

These same/ similar problems existed with two different cards (6600GT and 7900GS) on two different systems with different Windows installs on them.

Luckily I could go back to 91.33 for my old 6600GT card to solve them, but no drivers for my 7900 solve the issues.

3. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Let's make it a 3xQFT. This is going to be an absolutely banner year for PC titles and the qualitative gulf between computer gaming and console is going to widen tremendously. Console hardware is already obsolete and the upcoming new AMD processors, ATI's X2900 series, DX10 games, and eventual appearance of Intel's 45nm chips are going to relegate the Xbox 360 and PS3 to fossil status.

4. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    What problems?????:)

5. Jigsore

Jigsore Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx 280 sli evga
    I play all of my PC games at 2560x1600, and with the current drivers for Vista, and even most of the drivers for XP until I made the switch made most games unplayable at that resolution. Sure my 3dmark06 score was above 16k, but most games like bf2142, call of juarez, company of heroes, etc. had so many artifacting problems, and bsod I just stopped playing until some decent drivers come out. A lot of my problems were due to X-Fi, but still, with approx $6000. usd in this machine you would think that anything goes. Hardly the case.

6. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    QFT
    that should be our pledge :D

7. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    More money doesn't mean more stability. If anything you've increased the complexity of your system, you've created problems for yourself without researching into the hardware first. It's a known fact that nVidia's drivers for XP and vista for the 8 series cards suck, and that Creative seem to have permanently glued their thumbs in their rectums, infact, I believe that's what this forum is for, hardware advice, and moaning about hardware that doesn't work cause of poor drivers.

8. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I havent seen a pc game yet that looks as good and is as realistic as cod3 and gears of war.Cod3 on xbox blows away cod2 on pc,or any other war game for that fact.

9. Jigsore

Jigsore Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx 280 sli evga
    My point is that if you are spending a lot of money on top end product you would think that support would be there. (I know, another topic entirely) But like Hog 54 said, graphics on the 360 are pretty damn good. And I just wonder what brings us back to the PC when consoles are cheaper, and work well right out of the box. I am as guilty as anyone on here! I keep beating myself up looking for the top performance, but does it really make sense?

10. GSXRmrbusa

GSXRmrbusa Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gts 320 x 2 SLI@stock
    There are two kinds of gamers, well actually only one is considered a real gamer.
    1.) There are the plug and play people that like to throw there feet up on the coffee table and eat a big mac while there game loads.

2.) There are the true gamers that like to do more than just " snapping " there $100000000.00 PC together and start loading games.

I have been into PC's a very long time and have never had one issue that couldn't be resolved. I have never had one hardware failure that wasn't the result of some serious overclocking. I have never went out and had to have the latest and greatest, this is something that a little research will teach a person. Always buy last years hardware and overclock it to the specs of the current years hardware. I kinda understand the dx10 GPU issue, but there isn't even any dx10 games out yet. By the time there is there will be cards that are half the price and be able to be overclocked to meet or exceed the performance of what most people bought to get ready for dx10. When I have to have a dx10 PC to play what I want to play then I will be able to build one of at least the same quality of yours for aprox two grand.

11. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Anyone who thinks console games look better and more realistic than pc games needs to put the crack pipe down, upgrade your pc and sober up and take another look at it.

12. Banky

Banky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Says the guy with the avatar of some guy smoking a huge doobie.

I like both. I have my 360 for when my friends come over and we play the hell out of college football or wrestling or basketball..... well, any sports game. But my PC is my prized possession (please don't let my wife read this), and I love being able to play amazing games with amazing detail on something that I built, and tweaked, myself.

13. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    I hung my 360 up on a chain and kicked the f@ck outta it.:)

14. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    With the so-called "problems" we PC gamers have, that's why it's called "trial and error." Yeah, even the consoles have minuscule problems too. Like DA (or 360 all around I think) has VSYNC problems with certain games (I think the most noticeable is DA). Though console problems are far less, they can't do ANYWHERE NEAR as much as a PC can.

We, as PC gamers, are good to go. =D

15. nvidiaxfx

nvidiaxfx Member

GPU:
    Inno3d Geforce 7300 GT 256 MB DDR2
    here's my 2 cents...

ive been, well i must say an all-around gamer ever since i was like 8 years old, now im 23...ive played (and got addicted) to almost every gaming platform, from the classic arcade video games, to game and watches, game boys, game gear, and other hand held consoles, to NES, SNES, played Saturn for a while, PS1, dreamcast, PS2, PS3 (soon to buy one :D), and of course, ive been playing pc games eversince i got my (used to shine, shimmer, and sparkle) intel pentium 3, equipped with 64 megs of ram with a GF2 video card (LOL), then, stucked and upgraded it for like 1 or 2 years, then bought a new one, until i ended up with this not-yet-so-old system.

i must say i love both, pc games, and console games, and from my observation, graphics are both beautiful, and are practically the same, (gimme a fire extinguisher!!!) well, before i catch flames, yeah, the difference is quite large, per say, but, from my observations over the years, imho, pc games (particularly its graphics) are designed as to what they are right now, high resolution, intensively detailed and beautiful, because most people (i think) play it close to their faces, like me, that small jagged edges, blurry textures, and others, are so visible when watched up close. console games on the other hand are played rather like greater than 1 meter away from the screen. so even if the resolution is just like 800x600, with the technology that the console carries, it still looks like, and performs like, that of a monster gaming rig, because it is viewed from a distance, while pc games are viewed closer.

i think that's the way those companies are really doing today and there's nothing we can do about that, but complain, and tell them something about what we want, and live with what they do right now. i mean come on, what if consoles today are shipped with the latest technologies for the pc? add the fact that it takes lots of research (and of course, lots of money) to be able to place those cutting edge technologies under a 100 cm3 volume, its market price would sky rocket (way beyond that pricey ps3), who would buy such an expensive thing only made for gaming, when pc's, at the same (expensive) price, can do the same, and a lot more.

but to simply answer the question, i dont think about how an expensive pc, or a particular console would battle against each other, rather, id look at which games i really want to play. rather than prioritizing which would be your first choice, pc or console. hell, i really love that legend of zelda, contra, konami world, the castlevania series in the NES, that i'd be happy to blow off the dust from my NES, (hoping that it still works :D) and play those games rather than playing counter strike online with a bunch of retard, trash talking kids. i just let the games i like to decide which one i should get, its just like choosing between a ps3 or xbox 360, choosing between a pc and a console should be practically the same. :)

16. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    what it boils down to, is if you just wana pop in the disc and play, and are ok with not having 'THE' highest level of graphics -- then console gaming is fine... :) If you don't mind (potentially) doing some work to get a game to run smooth (and tweaking it some) and like to be on 'the' cutting edge -- then pc games are going to suit...

For most people though, you are going to have a blend of the above... I like em both too... When I am feeling the need to tweak and 'play' with settings, I hop on the pc... If I just wana lay back, relax, and enjoy a game - I turn on one of my consoles... :p

The topic is NOT about which is BETTER... The OP, wanted to know why anyone would go through so much trouble (potentialy) inorder to get a pc game to work... And the plain and simple answer to that is you have to love to "tinker"...

17. nvidiaxfx

nvidiaxfx Member

GPU:
    Inno3d Geforce 7300 GT 256 MB DDR2
    yeah i agree, that's something pure hardcore console lovers dont understand about us pc gamers, that some people are just born that enjoy tinkering with their toys for hours :D

on consoles, you basically cant do that tinkering so much, and you are just stuck with the game options only.

but then again, we should remember that not all games that we love are on the pc, and not all games that we love are on any console available today. :)

18. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    There are alot of games this year that will surpass Gears of War and other titles on the 360 and after that...the consoles won't have another game that looks as good or better till the next console drop ;)

19. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    As long as you guys realize that gears of war and ps3 games like motor storm are barely using the consols power... just checking. No one can see in the future, so how can you claim the new upcoming pc games will blow away the consol games in visuals... look at halo and then look at halo 2 and tell me the difference is not insane, and that was on a geforce 2 and pent 3. Its the same old story every consol... they always find a way to sqeeze more out of it because its easy to do when you know exactly what your making the game to run on..

Some people need to remove their head from their pc's bum and realize that theres more to gaming than the pc. I realize it and my hardware is hardly slow. I enjoy it all, because at the end of the day, games are games, and they are fun. Also the gap between consol and pc gets smaller as every one is released.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  20. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Quite easily. The GPU's in the so-called "next-gen" consoles have already been completely eclipsed by the 8800GTX and the upcoming X2900. Not to mention the difference in RAM capability or the incredible graphical features made possible by DX10.

Quite the opposite actually. Given that the consoles are static platforms, the gap in quality, at least visual, is only going to widen with each passing month due to the ongoing evolution of PC hardware.

Hey, I don't begrudge any of you guys who enjoy console gaming your personal choices. To each their own. However, upcoming titles like Crysis are going to illustrate, quite brutally, the inherent advantages of a powerful PC over the limited capabilities of the console. Anyway, whatever floats your boat. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007