Witcher 3 Announcement From CD Projekt Red

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, May 15, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I fear that's the key factor: Money from NEW GPUs.

"Support" is a short and always shrinking in time concept.

Why AMD will add support for old (i mean sold) GPUs when they can drop support and "force" customers to buy new shinning hardware?

We have too much examples of this behaviour to think it's not possible to repeat it.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Actually, what most people don't get is that good support makes the better financial sense from the two options. When you get a new thing, the first thing you check is the support that the company gives at its products. Even if they have a person in their management that considers that bad support makes good financial sense, it will simply lead them to eventual commercial suicide, since people have to think twice to buy even awesome hardware due to the flaky support history.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. Fuzzylog1c

Fuzzylog1c Member

GPU:
    4x R9 290X
    Didn't the latest AMD advertising for the 300-series identify that the 200-series was only good up to DirectX 11.2?

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This could be a new marketing stategy: bash your own GPUs including your current flagship products (295X2 and 290X) to sell new GPUs.

Very smart AMD: this is the same shot in the foot approach you started with VSR "marvellous" support or the "optimal" selection of partners who shutdown RadeonPro by contract!

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nope. They even have a blog post bragging about the R7 and R9 cards' performance under DX12.

Anandtech and a ton of other websites have benchmarks of GCN1.0 cards under DX12. This train has hopefully sailed a long time ago.

[​IMG]

What we were talking about was DX12 features, and if they need special hardware or they can be enabled via a driver update.

6. Demrock

Demrock Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Boost 7950x2
    Yeah same here.

been looking at team green and while its a realy hard decision as i loved every amd gpu i owned, but i refuse to play along with that kind of tricks.

but then again Nvidia's tricks to kepler gpu's is also a thing so its making a choice between 2 evils -_-

Think its safe to wait it out and observe the upcomming weeks when the dust settles in with new drivers + w10 + new lineup from AMD / Nvidia 980Ti

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Well it did work previously. The overhead test worked fine under DX12 so if they stop supporting our cards because of financial reasons I'm selling my GPU's and buying a 980.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeah, it looks like that. I'm salivating a bit over the R9 390x. If the rumors and the teased pics are true, the card will be a tiny water cooled monster. The 980Ti is more or less a known quantity at this point (Probably something with less shading units than the Titan X, and higher frequencies, at the price point of the 980 today).
    NVIDIA is really giving in the pain to people with anything except Maxwell. I honestly didn't expect that by them. If you consider GCN 1.0 performance, at this point AMD seems to have better long-term support, even if these words seem weird when I type them.

Even Microsoft is in a very rough and fast path for Windows 10. They is no way they will drop support for something they have repeatedly stated and demonstrated that it supports DX12. I honestly don't worry about that. (But hey, the 6000 series people... :bang: )

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The 980Ti should be announced next week?

It's that DX12 support was removed and not added back, that's the worrying thing.

10. Fuzzylog1c

Fuzzylog1c Member

GPU:
    4x R9 290X

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
  12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    They already said all GCN support DX12 so no idea what that's talking about.