Witcher 3 Announcement From CD Projekt Red

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, May 15, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    A game running at 50FPS and then dropping to 15FPS for a second is a badly optimized game :)
    My card is 1 down from last generations single GPU flagship the 7970.

edit: The settings are far from High/Ultra.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    the drop you are having seems like game is loading something and something can't keep up.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I do this a lot by the way, The Witcher 3 isn't the first game I've played :) If there was a hardware problem I'd know about it.

4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    What constitutes as a hardware problem? I was not implying that your hardware was faulty, I was implying that something can't keep, maybe HDD, or maybe something in the background takes that one precious CPU cycle that W3 needs badly and other games do not. Who knows...I don't have those kind of drops so it's your system...

5. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    runs fairly well here at 1080p
    mix of high/ultra textures most post effects disabled
    still if AMD could squeeze another 10FPS out of it that would be all the difference
    pokes @AMDmatt

6. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I can squeze almost those 10 fps playing on W10

7. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Working on it. :)

8. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    :eek2:

Great to see you around here again Matt. Thanks for the update. But can we please request that the "API overhead" improvements we are seeing in 3DMark with the Modded Windows 10 Drivers be implemented on Windows 8.1 too.

Please close down the "vast gap in overhead performance under DX11" between AMD and nVidia cards. It seems based on the Windows 10 drivers being modded, that it directly positively correlates with better performance for DX11 games.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    deleted

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    +1 very important

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Seems like the universe wants me to switch. Seriously, is it like that much better?

Thanks for the work in the other branch of the drivers first of all ;)
    This question probably will not get answered, but I'll try.

Are the improvements we see on the Win10 driver, parts of WDDM1.3 that are now getting implemented, or is the driver in general improving? What I ask is, is there hope for more improvements in drawcall/frametime performance in the near future? :)

12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
  13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  14. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
  15. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    Excellent article 2 months vs 2 years , amd is a joke :bang:.

16. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Excellent article. It's refreshing to see the press tackle this head on. :)

I really hope that public awareness of these issues makes AMD change their ways to handle them, going forward.

It's really a shame that their GPU hardware division (kudos to Joe Macri) is really state-of-the-art but the software implementation part lacks so much.

Unfortunately, AMD as a whole, is spending less $ on R&D than nVidia, which primarily just focuses on GPUs. :(

https://techreport.com/news/28033/report-amd-r-d-spending-falls-to-near-10-year-low

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  17. Burningcoals

Burningcoals Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 Ti SC+ @1450Mhz
    This is wrong, the game consoles are all AMD(Xbox one, and PS4), nothing to do with Nvidia, if it was a port, Nvidia would be the underdog and AMD would be optimized fairly easy and have a huge advantage in the driver department.

18. Burningcoals

Burningcoals Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 Ti SC+ @1450Mhz
    I think its something else like HDD performance, or overall system performance.

My 7950 setup is butter smooth, all settings on High, only thing turned off is Hairworks.

Slight overclock on the core GPU, and I run power on max, CPU is @ 4.4Ghz, 2400Mhz memory, and super fast Raid-0 SSD 840 pro.

I will say this, if your supporting computer, OS, drivers, and all other bottlenecks are eliminated, you can still have a old ass card like a 7950 stay relevant for new games.

19. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    I'm getting the same performance boost with windows 10. Tested with the same driver(15.20.1023) on windows 7 I'm getting around 43 FPS avg, 38 low. With windows 10 I can get 50 FPS avg, 44 low. This is at 1440, high settings, SSOA, blur off, hair works off, and AA off.

I was going to wait for AMD to release the CFX profile to play but it definitely feels playable on windows 10. Granted this was only from me running around in the first area after the tutorial/intro. I'll have to see how it holds up in more demanding situations.

20. Burningcoals

Burningcoals Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 Ti SC+ @1450Mhz
    This article is complete speculation.

However, Drivers are the key to an ecosystem, and the fact that Nvidia is updating their drivers more frequently means they win in my book.

I have a Crossfire AMD setup, its the only way a 7950 can keep up with todays games. So if Crossfire becomes irrelevant and not able to be used, then its time to upgrade to Nvidia and go with them this time around.

I am giving AMD one month to update and fix this Crossfire issue, or I will replace my cards.

Something has changed at AMD, 2015 is turning out to be a horrible AMD year. Nice driver updates AMD, you might want to hire or fire some more people to keep up.