Witcher 2 technical issues

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 17, 2011.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yeah had that myself a couple of times. its just a very buggy game tbh.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I wish there was a way to get rid of the dithering :(
    That's imo the only thing which is really ugly in this otherwise exceptionally beautiful game.

3. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah, i'm going to buy a HI-FI System for my PC and connected to my GPUs HDMI:D.

On topic: i don't have any other problem with the game.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    It took me 40 and a bit hours to complete the game and I didn't come across anything like that even though I explored every nook and cranny. I just had two weird crashes to the desktop in the same place in Act II before the 'ritual', which didn't give any error message, otherwise I found the game to be very polished and problem-free. There was the odd minor glitch here and there but nothing that other games of this genre don't have. Very impressed really. I've started my second playthrough.

5. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Ok, either I'm totaly blind, or I've just been lucky, but I didn't have any bugs at all..
    Worked like a charm from the begining till the end.

No wait, there were two things.. the "greenish" look arround the screen when getting poisoned, wass still there, even after the poison effect passed.. just had to save and reload, and it was fine again..
    The other thing was at the end of chapter 3, there was a sound glitch..
    A specific sound sequence was in a constant loop.. Again, just a save and reload and it was fine again..

However, it was a preety stable and non-buggy experience for me. Great game, can't wait for TW3 if there will be any..

6. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    not really, besides the bug above, i had one CTD, and that's about it..performance is great, stutter free, some sometimes a bit of sound stuttering when talking with someone, but that's fixabble with alt+tab..

7. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    There is such feature, to provide similar functionality; its called Vsync.

Capping the FPS <60 doesn't eliminate Vsync tearing effect, the effect can still be seen.

So, just enable Vsync (and triple buffering if the game/PC can afford it without lag).

Vsync and Vsync+Triple Buffering caps the GPU usage, Vsync+Triple buffering using a bit more processing.

8. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti

No, it's not called vsync. Vsync function sincronizes you framerate to refresh rate of monitor.
    Vsync adds stutter if the machine can't run at 60fps, and adds mouse input lag.
    Capping won't remove tearing, but fix stutter and do not add mouse lag.
    Having both options to chose from would be great.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I think i got about 10 crashes to desktop, about 3 or 4 times i was under the map or atleast missing most textures. not only swords, doors but the environment just dissappeared totally. people popping up in the village, (like spawning when i quickly turned around with the mouse)

especially the constant crashes at one point was totally annoying to say the least. then there were the some quest bugs, so that i coudnt complete the quest , but that was fixed with the patch. which also brought the crashing.
    Some people here on guru3d also notice some settings arent applied at all when you select the ultra setting from the menu. so you have to change them in the .ini.

i just lol at this game collision detection aswell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wP-FO0yhPg

your lucky you didnt have as many bugs as me, but for me it spoiled the gaming experience as a whole for this game.
    i certainly dont think its a bad game, its just overhyped i think
    think ill give it a go again after the next patch arrives.

LOL just played a bit again. where geralt is stuck in prison, i freed myself, then let the guards come in. then i just walked out of the prison cell , and stood infront of the door. they coudnt move out or hit me or anything lol.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Yepp I know, but using Vsync does CAP frame rate...above 75 FPS, on a 60hz display.

Partially true, Vsync frame rates are indeed lower than maximum FPS..but it does hold FPS's at a constant bracket. (input lag, don't know....i didn't find much issue with Witcher 2)

But Shuttering, definitely not...if you have a mid end card..like GTX460 etc..shuttering isn't quite visible.

For mouse lag, we can try disabling mouse smoothness in user.ini for Witcher 2.

But apart from the above, I found myself using Vsync and Triple Buffering to play the game. Enabling Triple Buffering did put a very very visible mouse lag, but it makes the game very smooth..in a strange way.

[I use D3Doverrider to force Vsync + Triple Buffering from out of the game, on witcher2.exe].

I tried out Witcher 2 with the following settings for a few minutes..
    1. Ubersampling to "ON"
    2. AntiAliasing to "OFF""
    3. SSAO to "OFF"
    4. Motion Blur to "OFF"
    5. DXtory with FPS cap set to 30
    6. Vsync+Triple Buffering forced via D3Doverrider (don't know if this worked, because Tearing wasn't visible in the game. But it was visible when I didn't use this and DXtory was set with FPS cap at 60 <without Ubersampling>)

FPS with above settings were 30 most of the time in Flotsam docks and between 17-30 in Flotsam forests..around 22-30 during conversations.

Last edited: May 31, 2011

11. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Anyone know what the texturetimebudget entry does? It's missing from my user.ini file and I don't know if I should add it. TY