wireless router unstable on laptop, stable on ipad

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by dmonk, Sep 6, 2011.

1. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit

My normal setup: I live in an apartment and I used the cable that comes out of the wall to connect to my wired router.

My new setup:

-I got a new wireless router and I connected it to one of the LAN ports on my wired router, while everything else stayed the same. (Using the wireless router separately doesn't work)

-I also disabled DHCP in the new router
    (http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?t=6117)

What I'm doing:

-I am currently running a line from my wired router to my laptop.

-I also have wireless setup, where my iPad connects fine and I can play full games without getting dropped out.

Problem:

Wired OR wireless, my laptop will lose connection after 5-10 minutes. It stays connected, but the internet just stops. This is obvious when a download abruptly cancels. Anyone know the issue?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    If both wired and wireless is effected on the same laptop I would say it is either caused by a application or malware running on your system. I would first disable all start-up apps in msconfig (do not disable any services). If that works start enabling the apps one at a time (reboot each time) until it reoccurs. If not then scan for malicious apps with Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Superantispyware.

Do you have a Internet Security or a 3rd party Firewall software running on this laptop?

Also won't hurt to update/upgrade the drivers for both the LAN and Wifi.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    I do indeed have Avast anti-virus, but I'll do a scan with Spybot and then I'll also try my friend's laptop to see if it has the same issue.

Thanks and I'll let you know~

4. d2_ricci

d2_ricci Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 3870x2 & 3850
    Problems like this can't always be singled out with out trying a few things first.

If you have another (wired) computer to host a +/- 20MB file on
    to test your LAN this would be helpful to rule out, internet hosts.

I would also check your power settings and driver settings on both your wireless and wireless devices under device manager. If you need a guide let me know. Change the settings, then restart, try the DL again.

Another thought is upgrading firmware on your router. I have found that the Default firmware of a router often have many bugs when it comes to wireless connectivity.

I understand this problem can't be pinned down to wireless or wired but these options are always best practice if you are having an issue.

Summery: LAN test, Check XP power settings, check driver settings (wired and wireless), upgrade router firmware.