Wireless packet loss driving me insane!!!!

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Grifty, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    hey all, ive been trying to change settings etc to try and get rid of this packet loss which is literally driving me insane. It all started to happen when the people from TPG finally got of their asses and repaired my phone line which ended up giving me a speed increase from 1.8mbps to 4.0mbps. i seriously cant play a online game without getting pissed off because im getting around 12-15% packet loss. i am currently running a Dlink DIR-300 router and a Linksys WMP54G reciever using win XP. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    bump, anyone?

3. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    i purchased a DWA-510 yesterday and installed it today and i still seem to get packet loss but not as bad...... can any one help me out?

4. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    To greatly reduce packet loss you need high gain antennas. Aim for >5dbi. The signal strength will increase a bit and the signal quality will increase a lot. I replaced the puny 2dbi antennas in the router and the receiver for 7dbi antennas... what a difference... eventually got a 9dbi antenna for the router but didn't notice much difference.

Also the high gain antennas can pick up and hold signals that are too weak for the normal antennas.

You don't need to go for the most expensive antennas like linksys and whatnot. Look around and watch the prices and build quality.

This is in a store in my country (just an example of what you should aim for):

http://www.f13pc.com/loja/detalhes.php?id=3464

Attention that with wireless you always seem to get some packet loss. I tested the PC 3 meters from the router (signal quality and strength at 100%) with the high gain antennas and would still get bursts of packet loss. They were very few and but were there.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010

5. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    but the weird thing is that it was working fine for about 1yr untill my internet speed was increased to 4.0mbps.

6. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    If you had wireless before the speed increase, and it was working fine, than probably the the ISP is the one to blame. If that's it than this is out of my league.

Did you change router/modem or anything that might cause packet loss?

Try connecting the PC to to the wired ports of the router instead of using wireless. If you still experience packet loss than the wireless connection is not the problem.

7. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    ill give that a try and report back with the results.

8. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    If you still experience problems with the PC connected to the wired ports of the router than just try a direct connection to the modem. If you still experience problems than probably your modem/ISP is, probably, the one to blame.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    ok so i tested my the connection with my computer hooked up driectly to the router and that worked fine so its got to be my wireless, i also tested wireless with my computer only 50cm away from the router and i still experienced packet loss. im going to install the wireless reciever on another computer and see what happens.

10. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok... if it doesn't work try high gain antennas in the router and the receiver.