Wireless dropping out.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by the_jerboa_king, Nov 27, 2008.

1. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    I've got two PC's that sit about 2 feet apart, one works fine on the wireless the other one drops out after 2-3 hours then won't reconnect unless I disable / re-enable the wireless card or reboot my machine. I'm using WPA for security. There are two other PC's and a Wii on the wireless which are also fine. It is a Belkin router.

When my PC drops off the wireless it then can't see the wireless for a few minutes and when it re-appears if I try and force it to reconnect it can knock everything else off the wireless forcing me to reboot the router.

Here are a few things I've tried:

Changing the wireless channel (currently on 3, no other detectable networks are on 2, 3 or 4)

Forcing G mode / auto detect

DHCP address / Static address

2nd wireless card (ASUS and a Belkin)

Fresh Windows XP install, SP2, and SP3

Updated drivers

The event log has given several messages at different points including, a DHCPNACK, unable to find sjkpkt (I think that's what it was, not at my PC at the moment to check), an error saying another machine on the network won't let the PC on the network (amusingly it gives the IP of the machine not allowing it, sometimes it's another machine, sometimes it's the machine itself!!!). I looked last night that it seems to happen around the machine trying to force an election on the network over which machine the master browser should be. If it helps I can get the full errors when I get home later.

Any suggestions, etc, appreciated!

Thanks.

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the Belkin Router?

3. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    It was already on the latest firmware, but I flashed it again on the off chance. I'm still wondering if it is the router or the PC. I even brought in another machine to make sure there wasn't a silly limit on the number of machines that could connect wirelessly.