WinXP+Vista Startup-Problem with ATT v1.6.9.1401 beta

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Public Beta Section' started by CyberCore, Oct 31, 2009.

1. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb
    Hello @ ALL!

Note: I've open this thread, because I need support for my problem! Did a post like this - but I earned no answers, so I'm sorry for this "Double Entry".

As the Titelbar show you, do I've got a very uncomfortable Startup-Problem, wich I indicate as a driver - load up fail - (I think - that could be the problem).

Okay, at first I've to say, that I'm german and I can't english the best, but I'll try to explain my problem as best as I can.

The Systemsettings and Hardwaresetting are as following:

Windows XP SP3
    Asus P5B Deluxe
    3072 Mb of RAM @ 666Mhz
    IntelCore 2 Duo Quad Q6600 with G0 Stepping @ 3,0Ghz
    SAPPHIRE HD4980
    2D- standards = 250Mhz Coreclock and 400Mhz RAM-Clock
    3D- standards = 885Mhz CoreClock and 1015Mhz RAM-Clock

DX diag:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/300482873/DxDiag.txt

Same Problem is by the way with Vista Ultimate 32 bit too.

Okay so I'll explain, what my Problem is.

- At first I had a nVidia 7950 GX2 in my system installed and deinstalled the drivers with "DriverCleaner". Then I shut down my system and installed my new HD4980, made a restart and installed the latest drivers from the manufecturer page - of cause the Catalyst too.

Then I installed the ATi Tray Tool and seted at first the 2D-Settings, then the Fansettings to:

-35°C = 35%
    -45°C = 40%
    -50°C = 50%
    -60°C = 60%
    -65°C = 70%
    -70°C = 80%
    -80°C = 90%
    -85°C = 100%

After this I seted the 3D- Settings overclocked to the values I told (885+1015) and tested them - all works fine.
    The automatically overclocking too. Switching between this 2D settings and 3D settings by Hardwareacceleration works fine.

Then I restarted my system and started Vista. Okay - same there - deinstalling drivers and install the new ATi drivers at least ATi-Tray tool.

Next day... started my System-> XP... at the Starting Screen System hangs up!... Restart by the Resetbutton of my Towercase... Starting Windows normally = YES! ... system started without hangup?!

Okay... System was working good - wanted to see some tests under DX10 and shuted my system down - restarted Vista = same problem - Startup hangup... resetbutton => Starting Windows Normally?= YES! ... started without problems?!

I thought it could be a virus or something like that, because, if my system was without energy, and I started it next day I had startup problems, but after the entry "Start Normally" all works fine under XP and Vista too?!

After "Newstarts/Restarts" by the option under Windows XP and Vista, was this Startup Problem not reported?!

Okay, I thought that could be a virus or something like that - so I reinstalled the OS's and after all doings, I got this problem again - but only AFTER the setup of the ATi-Tray Tool...
    -> So it have to depend on the ATi-Tray-Tool - but how??

Do I have to set some settings different?

Please I need help or I have to do this! :)pc1::biggun:!) - LOL!

I'm a little bit experienced in PC-Hardware and Software, but this problem I've never seen before! Someday there're new problems, wich I've never reported before - but this problem is making me angry... of cause!

Oh.. short sidenote:

Mainboard drivers are the newest Beta drivers. For Drivers at all I keep my eyes open and hold them to the newest ones - if there're no problems with them.

Greetz @ All... Cyber!

2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Uninstall ATT and use computer for a few days without it. I doubt its related to ATT any way

3. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb
    I will test it once, uninstall it and then reboot after the shutdown. I will tell you about the results, okay?

Untill next post - bye.

>>>>>> EDIT <<<<<<

Okay, hold your breath - that could be a new mission for Agent Mulder and Diana Scully - LOOOOL! I uninstalled ATi Tray and made a reboot after shutdown, you could say coldstart. Then ... dum di dum - Windows Screen was shown and 2 times the Loadingindicator was moving and then it did nothing any more. Hangup again?! Okay, so - you had the right, that ATT isn't the problem.

I've searched in the 3W for answers and - hey I found some! Okay, the problem depends on a failed or not really correktly install of a Service Pack - Vista and XP - both OS got this problem sometimes after an installation of a Service Pack.

On my OS Vista was after the automatically update and restart a message shown, but I thought all was working correktly.
    On my OS XP was a message like that not shown, but if I try to uninstall SP3 I get a warning message, that SP3 can't be uninstalled caused by missing files.

Now I try to uninstall it by another way - after that I'll reinstall it. On Vista I'll deinstall the Updates and reinstall them. After that @ all I hope, that this clears my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Greetz @ All - c ya.

:bang: I'm going to be very sick... "okay, I've just uninstalled the SP3 - and made a shutdown for a *cold start*. After that, the OS starts without a problem - what I did next was a new installation of SP3 and after a reboot I shuted the system down. The I made a *cold start* and ... HaHa -> there was the HangUp again... what kind of joke is this?! There was no warning message at the install process or an informationmessage of a failed installation - nothing! The *bug* is depending on SP3 ... but how I know, only if something was going wrong at the installation process, ok?
    Next what I did was an uninstallation of SP3 again (never ending story) and of cause a reinstallation of it, but - from a new downloaded version of it from Microsoft.com - the only idear I've got is that the SP3-install.exe was demaged or something like that, but that idear was wrong - after my reinstallation and new cold start I had the same response again - *So Whaaaat!*?!"

I've got enought of this - I'll make a new installation of my OS's ... XP and Vista, there's the same Bug - and of cause I tried the same steps - any idears at all? I'm interested on this bug, believe me - nothing was happening before like this, and isn't life a never ending way of a learning process?- Indeed it is, isn't it?
    An Idear too - LOL -> The PC knows about my leaving girlfriend out of my flat, and then it takes the role of her and bogarts like her! ->LOL, no - I don't really believe that, but it's enough to annoy my girlfriend who looks curiously over my shoulder, haha!

Greetz @ All -> I'll report about the results of my new experiment to clear this problem - I hope it turns out to be succesful.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb
    Yes you're right!

So, I find the problem... LOL! Won't believe it - I can't believe it by myself!

So if I turn my powersupply off, after shutdown - and put it on again, to start my PC... (how crazy)- the system startup without any problems!

My powersupply is less then a half year old - that can't be the problem, but and that's the point, LOL -> I got a new flat and in my old flat the fuses, sometimes were flying out, caused by the short peakperformance at the startup. So I think the problem is depending on this, LOL - so I can do two things, at first - after shutdown I deactivate my powersupply or I push the reset button of my towercase exactly after booting *beep*, that helps too.

BUT now a very different problem I've got:

I'm using the OS Vista Ultimate (32bit) too, and if I try to set the Core-Clock of my HD4980 over 825Mhz the system hangs on!
    Note, that standard Clocking is at 850Mhz on games with 3D acceleration. I know, that the GC is normally under 2D a little bit underclocked - okay, only the Core-Clock is underclocked, why ever - doesn't matter at this point - because underclocking is working good and correctly - set them to 200Mhz Core-Clock and 300Mhz RAM-Clock and saved my fan-settings in this profile too.
    On XP SP2 it works with the profiles in both ways. Should I try compatibility-mode? Or set the .exe on *starting with administrator rights*?
    Insn't amazing, that I clear up a problem and I find much more?!... urgh, the PC is only a human too, isn't it?!- And *he* has a bad day, doesn't?

I'm looking forward to your answer... really! Thank's all the way for your help!

Greetz@ALL... CyberCore (with his mentally twisted PC) ;-)!

linking of the details from Everest Ultimate and newest DX-Diag depending on Vista:
    >http://rapidshare.com/files/308345188/Everest_Ultimate_Report.txt
    >http://rapidshare.com/files/308339203/DxDiag.txt

5. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    No needs in admin rights. Just do not forget to increase voltage for 3D mode. Also may be more than 825 is too high for your board?

6. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb
    ...ehm - okay, step by step.

Do you want to test my KnowHow? :p
    With regard to the administrative rights, I agree with you. That was more an ironic meaning - like the default answer of Microsoft:"Try reinstalling drivers!"(where every experienced user is thinking about:*Just do not take that seriously!*) - you could call it a bad joke, german humor is different.

I don't think, that increasing the voltage for 3D is needed on this clocks, because, up to 905Mhz Core-Clock and 1035Mhz RAM-Clock, my card is working without problems and there's the workingdegree rising up to 80°C (176°F or 353,15K) and this on my OS XP (32bit) in the Futuremark06.

ALL setting above this clocks are needing a voltage-modification... on my system, that are my experiences. But, I won't stress my GC that much, so I stay with clocks 20Mhz under my highest tested and running clocks. I think, I won't increase the clocks much more with a watercooling system - not with this old motherboard, of cause.

Don't forget, if I'm using GPU-Z to collate the values of clocks from the ATT, it shows me this values exactly - the values of GPU-Z and ATT aren't different (THX a lot for the tool, good work)! - but safety first ;-).

Okay - what shows me GPU-Z and ATT on standard settings (DEFDAULTS) of the Radeondrivers?-> 2D-Core Clock = 250Mhz, RAM-Clock = 975Mhz; 3D-Core Clock = *850*Mhz, RAM-Clock = 975Mhz.
    XP ->AND<- VISTA, have the same values at this point!
    So -> I think my board can handle this. OKAY, not the best, but it can - No PCI-E 2.0 support - this 5fps more ingame, I don't care about, trust me ;-).

Okay, I'm running now on OS XP SP3 a Core-Clock of 885Mhz and RAM-Clock with 1015Mhz in 3D modes. In 2D mode it's underclocked to 250- and 300Mhz.

Why, I can't run that settings on my OS VISTA(3D AND 2D)?? - *"gulp"* - Underclocking on Vista - ATT shows me 200- and 600Mhz?? - But GPU-Z shows me 200- and 300Mhz? ONLY on Vista is this problem reported by me.

Then, the nice NOT WORKING overclocking -> 975Mhz RAM-Clock upwards to 1015Mhz is no problem [but I increase at first the Core-Clock and then the RAM-Clock] - if I try to increase the Core-Clock over 825Mhz, I earn a Systemcrash. {+and a hearthinfakt³ at the first crash+}
    That is absolutely crazy, because - if i don't change something, the GC is running with a CORECLOCK of *850Mhz*! **->Where's the joke? >> "Come out you're surrounded!"<-:rpg:**

Do you have ideas now?:pray2pc:

[EDIT]
    HD4980 under my Systeminformations is some kind of artistic freedom... who thought this GC really exists??:funny:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  7. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Do not thing :) Just increase it :)

8. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb
    *Yessirrrr!*

Okay... how much should I increase, what do you think?

It run's at XP with 1,313V... HEY- NExT bug, at Vista ATT tells me nothing about the currently used voltage?!

[EDIT]

But hey?! Should that could be the problem of the systemcrash under Vista?!!! I can make input of a Voltageregistration - like 1,313V... that is the value of the OS XP - should I try it?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  9. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Look in SysInfo report after windows restart without applying any overclocking profiles. There are you can find info about your standard 2d/.3d clocks including their voltages

10. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb
    THAT WAS the problem! So defaults are 1.053V - and I need 1.313V for my overclocks. VISTA have got very different default settings as XP - now I've got the problem, that the automatic OC by hardwareacceleration for 2D and 3D, crashes my new game Dragon Age Origins.

I've to OC manual and set automatic off - that's not really a problem, but uncomfortable. Can you fix it please?

THX for all your help - really good support!

11. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Fix what? Id river reports to ATT that 3D clock is 1.053V , how can I set anything higher?
    Post your report here

12. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb

The option of ATT: "right click on try-icon/Hardware/Automatic Overclock-> Automatic 2D/3D-Overclocking *enabled* with both insert 2D/3D-Profiles."
    > This option crashes the game Dragon Age Origins - and my question is now, is that fixable?
    I think, that the crashpoint of the game is in the moment where the hardwareacceleration is switching to the 3D-Profile.
    Missing compatibility of ATT for the game, or?

Did you understand me now?

13. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Or use game profile instead :) I have DA game installed and it works without crashes, but I don't enable 2d/3d at all. I always put overclocking in game profile itself.

14. CyberCore

CyberCore Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE/HD4980/1Gb
    ...oh... almost forgot!

YEAH! Oh, this was my fault - don't remembered that I could use this option - I forgot it.
    Thanks for the reminding... I'll try it! It would be more comfortable, then my idear.
    Is the profile loaded immediately at the moment of the gamestart? Okay, I think I have to use the DOA-Launcher.exe for a correct work, or?

Wich .exe did you select?

15. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Can't remember exactly right now which .exe. Game installed on my home computer. Can give more info at evening. But I doubt there are many exe file to select :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009