WinFS Completely dropped.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Finchwizard, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    News from OSNews:

2. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    So that means the file system will be the same as windows xp. That means all vista will be is a visual upgrade with directx10.

Just another thing to make vista take one more step towards useless.

3. arnie

arnie Guest

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    wowie, 7 years to write a new skin for xp and fill it with copious amounts of Drm.

I sure can see why MS are number one in the desktop market ~.^

4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    That's pretty much it. Windows Vista is going to be the next Windows ME. No businesses will buy it and M$ will have egg on their face. Microsoft is way behind its competitors in the development of their OS. MacOS has had similar features to Vista since 2002. The NTFS is ok, but it's old. Windows should have a journaled file system, as the system would rarely if ever need to be defragmented.

5. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Vista will definitely suck, but I am almost certain it will be a hugely successful product: i guess it will be another monument of human stupidity/gullability/weakness to superb marketing. ;)

6. Allegiance

Allegiance Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Well it will sell well in the gaming communitity if anyone wants DX10 support. This will be the selling point for the enthuisiest(spel) market.

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It will no doubt sell like any other version of Windows, I expect it will be more of a slow uptake though.

A lot of people are starting to catch on about quality and MS products.

8. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think that's debatable. It doesn't really offer much more than Windows XP does, other than a few visual features. Minimum system requirements seem unreasonably high to me too. Of course it will sell in the consumer market (as it will be forced upon them), but enterprises are going to be more cautious.
    Vista would be ok without its high requirements and intrusive DRM. The software market these days seems to be more focused on deciding what people can't do, rather than what they can do. A lot of new software is not offering any real impovements.

9. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Could this not be a good thing?

i mean if MS arent using winFS then does this mean XP WILL be able to run DX10 in all its glory and mean i dont have to upgrade to vista just for DX10?

10. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unlikely. They'll likely encode DX10 in such a way that it will only run on Vista. I'm sure we'll see hacked versions though. The type of file system doesn't determine what programs can run. MacOS for example can read files created on Windows as long as the software is there to decode them.

11. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Let's see how long and how many people can screw Microsoft over. I refuse to buy Vista just for DX10, so I'll either get a hacked version for XP is there is one, but if not then I guess I just won't be a gamer anymore. It's bad enough that I'll probably end up being forced to buy a PPU card when we have an entire CPU core doing nothing, for dual-core CPUs of course. Though it will be interesting to see what happens with AM2 and the Reverse Hyper-Threading.

Ok, so I got a little OT.

BTW, I GOT MY FREAKING COMPUTER BACK ON. Got a temporary 7900 GT in it. Gotta find a cheaper one online.

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    The problem is they will force it out there one way or the other.

Dell will start selling Vista machines, as will the other bigger manafacturers.

Local computer shops will continue to sell XP for a little while longer or they will try and convince you why Vista is so good and you should spend more on the hardware.

It's going to get there one way or the other, I think the first part of Vista will be like the ME release, and won't start improving until Service Pack2

13. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    well i tried the beta 2 version and was really dissapointed from it..... very high hardware demands from the system

BTW...the laws of marketing....companies will start selling PC's with Vista and a lot of ppl who do not bother to go into computers will simply buy them and wont bother on anything else....
    Also if DX10 is only for VIsta i will not upgrade at all unless offered for free..period

14. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    _QFT

DX10 is one way

15. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Screw microsoft.

Im currently preping for Vista by changing to Ubuntu.

so far I'm rather impress. Boot time is 1/100 of windows XP, awesome GUI (Gnome) thats customizable, and WINE has better support for windows apps then I ever thought possible.

16. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    yeah, i'll either pirate a copy(unlikely because that's the one thing they keep doing actual work on) or get hax'd dx10.

damn you microsoft!

17. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    Whats Abuntu?

ahhh nevermind i just googled. :)

Ive never even seen Linux running, is it easy to use and where can i get it from, can i dual boot with XP aswell?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  18. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
  19. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    Cheers Finchy, im going to try it and have a mess, you never know i might really like it and do away with XP.....lol

20. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    No it won't. Read up on it, you might be surprised.