83.0%
  2. Windows 7

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    In the early days I pretty much considered 8.1 my go-to for a modern dev platform. It's a mighty rock-solid and mature OS, often scores the best frametime stability in benches today (though lower average and max FPS vs 10).

That said ... biggest issue with early versions of 10 for me were with my RAID controller. (although now these seem entirely solved) I was getting the whole "free-space bitmap NOT getting updated", and disk space being lost over-time until running an offline-checkdisk (mandating a full reboot).

While not permanent and no data-loss ever happening, it literally spooked me off of touching 10 again until post anniversary release. When I came back and re-tested, everything seemed to have been squared with the RAID drivers by this point.

But yeah ... back to the point, 8.1 is a mighty solid OS. Has the same performance issues with ddraw (in old games) as 10 though, and the same types of stutters with UE3 based MMO's. Still runs great with modern games.

2. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    This....until M$ makes drastic changes or Linux. :stewpid:

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    How does Windows 10 fail from providing just that compared to older Windows editions?

When W10 is installed there is a choice to do it the custom way, further telemetry that might be irrelevant for a given user can be disabled afterwards as well, especially with the latest updates for that OS.
    Yet, all the data collection is there to give the end user a better experience with the OS, especially when it comes to input recognition and correction.
    Besides that, the minimum/basic telemetry is crash and error related.

4. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Security and telemetry oddly I feel are both related (indirectly) and also unrelated at the same time.

In all cases you're trusting that the commercial software (OS included) that you install on your machine does what the developer says it does -- specifically, you'd hope for a lack of backdoors and also a lack of malicious intent of what they use your data for (that they have your interests in mind). I think how the situation became the way it is now (opinion wise of MS) is the defaulting "ON" of collection, addition of more and more telemetry over time, and the need to somewhat 'dig' to turn it off. (eg, lack of a global "everything off" opt-out switch with a bold 'pay attention' alert during setup)

-- Been getting a bit better lately on the opting out part (the setup process)... Though, most people I talk to feel that Microsoft is "hiding" what's being done from them, or intentionally making the opt-out process unnecessarily difficult.
    (the number of third party tools just to disable telemetry, block installation of Windows 10 [as an upgrade], and so on is pretty good illustration here)

I mean, Firefox has telemetry as an example (so do all web-browsers), and yet ... I never hear anyone gripe about this (despite that mining of your browsing habits sounds VERY lucrative [even anonymously by region] ). Probably why that is (that people don't get ticked-off), is the BIG NOTICE (popup) telling you that the browser is collecting data on its first run, with a prompt to optionally take you to a single config-page where all telemetry options are kept. (or to read more about absolutely everything that's gathered)

-Honestly trust is a two-way street. A developer needs trust that their users will help better development (opt-in, beta-test, etc, without being forced), while concurrently the users need a similar trust in them (or they won't use / adopt the software). --If you push too hard, you get retaliation since it's a mutual respect relationship.

5. False. Users should not be guinea pigs for developers unknowingly. QA exists for that reason. Or opt-in programs, as stated previously.

6. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Not sure what I said that contradicts that. If users are being forced to be "unwilling" guinea pigs, then said developer / company isn't trusting their users to willingly test when given the choice.

Sounds like we're in agreement.

To be clear though:
    --This is less a problem with telemetry existing, and more a problem with its presentation. The point I was trying to make (as with the browsers) is that presentation is extremely important, and the trust implied to do it well.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  7. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    a litle OS wars? lolll each uses what likes more no need for dramas i guess.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was told by MS that if I didn't want to buy a new Win10 Pro license post hardware change....to go back to Win7 or 8.x.... So, I'm on Win10 until it finally stops logging in....lol

MS only disables 3rd party antivirus if there is a known compatibility issue found during an upgrade. Or, to be more specific, they seem to disable Kaspersky during an upgrade because Kaspersky takes forever to release compatibility updates for their software. I've upgraded systems running Norton, Avast, McAfee, Panda and BitDefender without having antivirus disabled. Only seen Kaspersky get disabled.

9. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Win10 of course, time to move on people

10. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Windows 10 Enterprise and have never had a problem :)

11. mordan

mordan Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080SC ACX3
    Windows 10 Pro 1703 64bit

12. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Went from Windows 10 back to 7 sp1 but I will be going back it looks like.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Same as mordan. No issues. Had a board go out. Got a new one, fired it up no issues with Windows 10 loading it all in.

14. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    2 PC's still on immortal Win 7 x64 Pro. I've installed Win 10 Pro on my work PC and I hate it at the moment. Everything so dumb user friendly and retard proof. Ugly anti-desktop interface makes me puke.

15. xvt

xvt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    Win7x64 Pro
    Some of the games and software I use either require me to jump through hoops to run properly or flat out don't work on Win10.
    Can't be arsed to be constantly testing if they work with every other patch MS releases on 10.
    Also, the DX9 4GB GPU memory allocation limit on Win10 is something I simply don't understand why they implemented.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Strange, my desktop in Win 10 looks the same as it did in Win 7.

Maybe your Work PC has Tablet Mode enabled?