Windows XP pro SP1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by XSDamaj, Mar 9, 2003.

1. XSDamaj

XSDamaj Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256
    Hi, Currently I'm using a version of Win XP Pro which doesn't allow me to do the SP1 upgrade. If I install my friends copy and use his cd-key will there be any problems being able to install SP1 and such? Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. BLyarx

BLyarx Ancient Guru

Microsoft is monitoring certain CD key's " if you know what I mean " your friends copy may or may not work there is only one way to find out...

But most likely it will work and that will make Microsoft a few hundred dollars poorer.

3. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

no need though, a google search will easily find the key changer and/or instructions

since your a fellow Maritimer I'll save ya the you know you shouldn't do this speech.

4. FunKdaFriEd

FunKdaFriEd Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 =(
    you shouldnt have a problem, but thats not to say that you wont...

I did what your lookin to do and I havent had any problems:p

special added note for M$~~~~~>:flip:

5. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    ...and you better think twice since Microsoft has put a new SP (SP1a) which (supposedly) corrects the bugs found in SP1. So, the things remain the same: patches after bugs, bugs after patches... When you finally find the way to patch your XP with SP1, an SP3 would be available.

6. bigmaxy

bigmaxy Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285
    Does anyone know if the SP1 and the 6 thousand security patches from MS can be saved on the hard drive?

Even though I have Broadband, every time I reinstall XP I have to let the bugger suck down all the bloody patches again. The Autoupdate is good but it canes your bandwidth big time.

7. FunKdaFriEd

FunKdaFriEd Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 =(
    I dont think they can be saved to your hdd because they run and execute right from the windows update page when you go there....but I may be mistaken, I just never heard of anyone doing that before....

I feel your pain though....Ive had to reinstall XP a few times and doing the updates takes the most amount of time almost lol:p;)

8. Don't know how but I have the Service Pack 1 for XP on my HD. 1xx Meg big file. Don't know where I found it :rolleyes:

9. biggestC

biggestC Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD M880G ATI Mobility
    you can dowload the service pack (sp1a) from microshaft and save it to your harddrive if you choose the network installation (it's a 134 meg d/l). apparently, the main diff btw sp1 and 1a is: "Windows XP SP1a does not include or install the Microsoft VM, which provides support for running Java programs."

10. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    I had to do the Product Key bit as well when I installed SP1,it didn't want to know at all without it.

In fact,after I had done that ie;d/l'ing the SP1 installation exe ( xpsp1_en_x86.exe & 133Mb btw) and installing it my bloody m8 arrived with a bootable CD containing XP Pro & SP1 which both install together and there are scores of good product keys to enter,it installed 1st time no hiccups at all.

It's not a problem to burn a backup if someone needs one PM or mail me,IMHO,it saves a bit of farting about with key changers etc.Not that it's a great ordeal to begin with.

bigmaxy wrote:
    Same,I'm afraid I don't know how to actually save the files to your HD,maybe checking in Temporary Internet Files before you close your browser but after the installation of the update perhaps?.
    The installation files must be downloaded to your local disc before installation I would reckon,especially with some of the bigger ones.
    I might be wrong but aren't the security updates installed with the Service Packs?,I know a lot of ppl like them as soon as they are available as it can often be sometime before M$ get round to releasing SPz so I suppose that would account for that question?.