Windows XP booting problem

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mad Cow, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Just recently my computer crashed when I was in XP,now whenever it tries to boot into XP it says that "windows/system32/config/system" is missing or corrupt. Now usually if something like that happens I would just reformat and reinstall windows,but I'm sick of that. Could I use the recovery console on my CD to fix it? I'm asking because don't know crap about how it works or what it can and can't do. I also have a copy of XP BartPE, if that would be any use.

2. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Have you tried booting with the Windows XP CD and selecting the repair option?

3. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well obviously,but it's all command line and I don't know what commands to use to replace files. I've used it once to repair a registry issue, but I was following a guide.

4. Illnino

Illnino Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    You could use a freinds computer to copy that file from his and make bootable CD

5. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    You are talking about the Recovery Console, which is different. Try booting with the XP CD, choose install and the CD will find the previous installation and offer you to repair it instead.

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  7. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    I got it, I used the instructions on the Microsoft page and it worked. Had to reinstall all of my drivers though, that was annoying.

8. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Still better than having to reinstall everything! :D. As always Animatrix's tips hit right on the spot.

9. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Actually a google search of the error was all I needed, but good job anyway. :D

10. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Yeah it's almost scary how much information you can find using that beast. I fear the day i will need it the most is the day it will not be there. My advice is to print out stuff you really need as google is most unhelpful when the system has crashed. ;)

11. slacker126

slacker126 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    i just recently had that sort of thing happen to me with my boot.ini file talk about a nightmare to figure out but still a heck of a lot easier than reinstalling everything