Windows Vista X86 Service Pack 1 Beta Download!!!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by moab600, Aug 2, 2007.

1. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Yup i have it :)

Havnt tested much yet.

2. Daemon785

Daemon785 Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond HD 5870
    just tried it on my ultimate. at first all i noticed is that the desktop and gui seemed a lil faster. not too much. so i thought, important tests needed to be done first. games

Jedi Academy. Know it or not, the game has a bug with Dynamic Glow turned on, it makes it really unplayable. while not back up to the 60fps standard, this pack makes it much more playable. id say 40-50 fps max. not bad

Trackmania Nations. All those big custom made maps seemed to drag my system down...to unplayable levels. now im getting bout 30-35 fps on them. much better!

Fear. had a problem with some single player and multi player levels. at some points, the game seemed to slow down to 1fps! then resume when i left that certain area. now its smooth all the time. very nice :D

Supreme Commander. Got a fps boost thats noticeable with all the heavy action. not bad, tho still not perfect.

I dont have stalker or overlord so i cant compare those results, and i took off oblivion because it was too easy once you get the armor and weapons from the shivering isles. but so far, im VERY glad i got this pack. i DO recommend it to everyone.

just one question, when the REAL sp1 comes out, can i just install over this pack and no harm will be done? i hope so. plus, let me know if theres a 64bit version out there to nab.

3. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    It's hard to say. For that reason, you should ideally have a restore point and a log of everything that was installed (ie: a million hotfixes).

The reason is that beta users are generally considered disposable, meaning that by installing them the users are essentially saying "I hereby give up my right to complain if something very wrong happens because of this patch". Or to put it another way, you're a voluntary guinea pig.

As such, Microsoft might be really nice and make sure the transition is painless, or alternatively they might not put the effort into making sure it's perfect on every single system out there; some factor on your system could cause it to be problematic, hence it being a good idea to be able to effectively undo the installation of the beta version (much like you'd totally uninstall a beta NVIDIA patch).

4. Krakkan

Krakkan Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    if you didnt make restore point you can remove the updates from add/remove programs and clicking installed updates. (tip: sort view by date easier to see them installed the same time ;))

thats alot of clicking though!... like 170+ things to uninstall..

no idea if there will be problems installing real sp1 later after but atleast you shouldnt get any error already having the updates installed or anything like that then. :D

nice too see someone else too got some better performance! :D
    i would have kept it installed but so many of my stuff stopped working :(

5. LucasG

LucasG Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6970 2GB
    Quick question: Anyone that has tried the SP1 beta, did you also (before or after) install the performance and reliability patches that were recently released? I wonder if those patches are already included in SP1...

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    ill stick to XP and enjoy the max framerates, lol

No seriously those results if accurate are begining to sound good

7. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Ok, first of all: this is not the SP1, it's just a collection of hotfixes from the time when the RTM version of Vista was released. But some of them may actually be included in the SP1 (which is already released in pre-beta status to some testers, but apparently there's no leaked version yet), so some hotfixes from this pack actually be useful. I haven't seen that it caused any major problems so far, but just in case - remember to do a system restore point before installation.

Those two patches need to be installed separately, it doesn't matter when (before or after).

EDIT: ok, there IS a leaked version, forgot about that integrated one, lol. But as I've read, it's full of useless to most users debug files end etc., so it's not worth the hassle yet IMO.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  8. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    ther is a leaked version.

9. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GeForce 6 6600 128MB, 128 b
    UUUpss.....ppl....i guess this pack also breaks system restore...omg!
    Any1 can confirm this?Try to open system restore...

10. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    I've just gone through the descriptions of the updates included that was posted earlier, and I have to say I don't see how a lot of them a relevant for most people. Indeed, the majority say you shouldn't install them unless you're experiencing the problems.

Just in case nobody else has checked, most relate to very specific issues such as "Sound quality via a USB microphone is poor when the system has 4GB of RAM or more", and "When you connect a USB multifunction printer device to a Windows Vista-based computer, a second instance of the printer object is created, and the first instance no longer works".

As such, I find myself very wary about installing all of them as there's a significant potential for things to conflict, and many of them simply have no relevance to me anyway.

I'm going to assume there're a specific few updates amongst this lot that actually provide the performance boosts some people have described. The only question is: which ones? :D

Or is there more to the service pack than meets the eye (these hotfixes)?

11. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    You would be more right than you know. It's too bad more people don't realize that this "SP1 beta' that they are all salivating over is nothing more than any and all hotfixes released so far and slapped together into one big file.

12. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970