Windows Vista... Actually WORKS now?!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Moogy, Jul 26, 2008.

1. djdaehl

djdaehl Member

GPU:
    9800 gx2 725/1800/2100
    Understandable :) G3d has them in the download section now :megaman:

2. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    Well I've installed 177.66. We'll see how it goes :)

Thanks for the link!

3. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    Well, no help that's for sure. Froze and blue-screened again just now - always in the nvidia drivers. This is PISSING me off. This is the same bull**** I dealt with a year ago.

Note this is with a 2x8800GTX non-SLI 3 monitor system.

Apparently nVidia can't get their heads out of their ass regarding Vista x64 drivers...

4. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    I noticed you have 4GB's of ram. When you install Vista 64-bit you are suppose to only have 2GB's of ram max in your computer (or else blue screens) then after Vista is installed and completely updated you can put as much memory as you want back in. Did you have 4GB's of ram installed when you installed Vista? Or did you have 2GB's?

5. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    I'm not aware of any outstanding 4GB/2GB issue installing Vista x64 SP1. If you have a link to a Microsoft white paper that says SP1 install has this issue, please link. If not, I think it's just hearsay.

I have no blue screen issues associated with the OS or any OS-specific component; the issues are all related to the nVidia driver crashing.

6. HolyLiaison

HolyLiaison Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 570 GTX SLI
    I'm thinking it has something to do with you using two of the same graphics cards and not having them in SLI/using 3 monitors.

Also, if you could post the error you're getting that would be great! If there are different errors each time post those too.

7. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    It's always the same BSOD in nvkldm or whatnot. Same problem as a year ago except back then the "driver would recover" before BSOD...

8. MoosePower

MoosePower Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I never had that issue..

9. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I Think it was patched into SP1.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4

i dont have that problem aswell.
    i installed vista with 4gb in. maybe its just certain boards, its having problems with.

11. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    he's right the os is fine its nvidia... i had a problem with far cry locking up after a couple hours of play using their latest posted driver...it didn't stop till i upgraded to 177.72 drivers which are betas...now everything is fine...

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    do any of you guys ever wonder the exact reasons why all of us have different issue's, be it a driver,game or the OS? even considering many of us have fairly similar hardware.

like my hardware isnt that far from dominant1's yet i never saw farcry lockup on any driver, i wonder if its how we use our pc's, install methods or just simply the slight differences among hardware and vendor practices like quality of parts..etc.
    i just cant help but wonder that if i built a rig exactly like dominant1's for example, what it would take to replicate his issue with farcry and ealier drivers.

13. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    Well, I think my problem revolves around the 2 video cards and 3 monitors.

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I did have that 2gb/4gb installation problem. I don't know if it was part of SP1, I had a single hotfix for it. Aside from that, the only problem I get sometimes w/ Vista is if I've been watching video files for a while, & gaming at the same time, the video goes all to hash & the machine stalls, then reboots. I usually only get this when watching music videos instead of listening to audio only. Usually Divx files too. Been too lazy to look into fixing it.
    Vista 64 Ultimate

15. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    Well FWIW the OS should NEVER hang/reset, etc. Sasquatch, do you get a blue screen or anything to tell you the source of the problem?

Every single issue I've had with Vista has revolved around the nVidia drivers.

16. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Actually that's not quite true. OS's do crash on purpose to avoid major corruption, it is a defense mechanism build-in. If something is so messed up it can't be fixed it is better to crash then to continue running.

17. soldier1st

soldier1st Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4250
    i highly doubt that you would need to install less memory into a system just so a system can start or install,as long as you has the min requirements you are fine also there is a hotfix for his problem.i hope this is it or is close to it
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194,also did you run driver sweeper after removing your drivers?also you should never run beta drivers unless your forced to.also did you try to turn off the nvidia driver help service and the other 3 that are added to your startups?

18. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    @Sasquatch - That is very odd, because I get a similar issue but I'm running XP with Service Pack 2 :3eyes:

19. sylvester

sylvester Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    re: OP if you dont reinstall XP every few months it slows down, if you are comparing an old XP instal with a fresh Vista its apples and oranges.

20. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512