Windows timer resolution tool in form of system service

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lol, is that another joke? What makes you think that's him? That's an old German guy with an awesome beard. mbk is a middle aged Russian guy, who may or may not have an awesome beard.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No beard =)
    And I am not interested in personal sites/blogs etc...

My name is Maks, btw.

3. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Hi Maks, I´m Patrick from Sweden.

4. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    Hi Maks, I´m Wael from saudi arabia.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    :cheers:

6. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Btw, when I use the C sharp v2 with an .ini, isnt it supposed to set the res timer back to what it originally was?

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Windows maintains kinda the dictionary of all processes which did call API function to set resolution (dict[process]=resolution value). And the resolution is always at the maximum value (less milliseconds) of all values specified by all these processes.
    When process exits its value is removed from the dictionary and effective resolution is recalculated.
    When process calls API function to change resolution the effective resolution is recalculated.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Thanks for the answer. Seems Asus Essence stx drivers set the resolution to 1-2ms.

9. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Hey everyone, I just found out about the timer thing, I turned hpet off in the bios and I used this tool at http://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool it showed my timer defaulting at 7.8ms and I set it to 0.5ms I get more gpu usage in games now! I'm kind of confused about this timer business I randomly stumbled upon the timer setting in a gaming tweaks thread on steam. :)

10. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    If I may interject:

The recent thing about the Chrome browser got me thinkin' "I don't need this up and running 100% of the time," so I pared down Cyberdyne's batch file to just an on/off switch. :pc1:

See: I'd manage to fat-finger it repeatedly, so it would reinstall, which sets the start-up back to Auto … :nerd:

I have this batch in the subdirectory with the install, then have a shortcut for it, someplace convenient.

Anyways:
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    :Ask
    CLS
    ECHO 1 - start the STR service
    ECHO 2 - stop the STR service
    ECHO 3 - exit
    ECHO . -
    SET /P M=Pick, then press ENTER: 
    IF %M%==1 GOTO starts
    IF %M%==2 GOTO stops
    IF %M%==3 GOTO close

:starts
    NET START STR
    CLS
    ECHO Done starting service!
    PAUSE
    GOTO Ask

:stops
    NET STOP STR
    CLS
    ECHO Done stopping service!
    PAUSE
    GOTO Ask

:close
    exit

11. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Wouldn't reducing windows timer resolution cause performance issues when lots of components are present and running multiple processes at the same time? <- like while running intensive(heavy CPU and/or GPU) games

Especially when I have 4 USB devices (Keyboard, Mouse, WiFi adapter and a Controller)?

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It can. The bigger resolution (lesser milliseconds) increases CPU load. In heavy multitasking scenario (especially with so many devices involved) it can decrease overall performance. But in single task (game) scenario gamers do hope they improve namely game functioning. I doubt it because professionally coded games should not use Win API timers, but everyone can try himself.

13. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    Should the autoit work if you put the shortcut in the startup folder? It just loads the program, but never closes it(at start) works fine otherwise. I noticed on my computer I don't get any dpc spikes if I this specific one. For some reason if I use mbk or lucas my dpc spikes to 100+ at times whereas this one doesn't, not sure why.

14. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    MBK1969 C# or C++, what's differents? Its more good the dirst or second version of c# or c++?

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    C++ version is equal to first C# version.
    Second C# version was invented for those who would prefer to switch to maximum timer resolution only for a certain applications lifespan. I.e. second version of service listens for the applications startup and switchs timer resolution if started application was specified in ini-file. And if started application was specified then service listens for that application finish to reverts timer resolution to default value.

16. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    This installation package (Update: Cyberdyne`s updated pack
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/6r...nstall 3.zip), you can not install the second version in c #, I think even the other is able to install, the end in windows 10 build 9901 I installed version c ++

17. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I am trying to install it on Win8.1 x64, but i get this error:

''Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administrative tool or the NET START command.''

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    How exactly you tried to install? Describe step by step please.

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I downloaded the latest ''STRservice Install 3'' which contains everything(1st and 2nd C# and C++).I tried to install both of them, but when i go to services.msc i see nothing.And when i check the current resolution, it says ''current 15.625'' so it's not installed correctly.I tried many times to install/uninstall, the cmd window said that it got installed but nothing.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, this bundle was developed by Cyberdyne. Are you sure you started cmd-file in elevated command prompt?

Have you tried the PowerShell script of mine - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xl0c0r12470rff0 ? You should download one of the version to install by that script. Also for both C# versions you can remove exe-file to let the script to compile new exe-file - that will be the best way (in theory).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015