Windows 'Threshold Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Grand Master

Grand Master Guest

GPU:
    1 GB GT 240@653/1721/4050
    No surprise at all.Its a fail for the company that most of its users still uses its 5 years old Windows 7.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well it's Windows XP 2, so why bother upgrading untill Windows 9?

Apart from that i see quite a lot of comments everywhere on the web from people who have a kind of issues with Win 8.x... Drivers, Software, Hardware etc.

My Norton Ghost 15 doesn't work on Win 8.x either.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

In all fairness, Norton Ghost 15 not working in Windows 8.x is as much a failure on Norton's side to not resolve the compatibility issues as it is Microsoft's Fault.

It's also the case that Norton Ghost 15 is over 4 years old, and the way it functions it explicitly requires supporting the OS. So, it's actually nothing to do with the way Microsoft have done things, they can't keep holding back Windows just to support the odd program.

The same goes for hardware support. Sure, some people have had problems with drivers, it's simply because the company hasn't provided an updated driver. That is a failure of the hardware company, not Microsoft.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Win 8.x feels like Early Access content on Steam...

6. spex_2

spex_2 Guest

GPU:
    a
    since my workstations for audio and video editing are working fast and stable with win7 x64, i don`t see any reason to change to 8 or 9. if there is not a massive improvement in any kind of the relevant features, like hardware support, system stability, driver and 3rd party software compatibility / support there is no reason to buy this.

just because of bling menu`s and fancy social stuff, i wont spend money.

if there is a noticeable speed up in games, i will consider 9 for my gaming rig, noticeable !

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    They made a great OS with win7. They have themselves to blame.

Win8 is nice (minus metro) and my games run well, so unless win9 is dirt cheap (win8 cost me £25) they are gonna need to do a lot to get me to upgrade.

Win8 users should be a greater concern than win7, because win7 is great.

Sorry.

8. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    I observe that all the bragging and moaning about OS changes and new UI has been following the same basic pattern since at least Windows 95 (and it probably goes even farther than that).

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Don't know why, we all know they ain't gona do Dx12 for Win 7, thats enough to get us moving. :p

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Untill DX12 Games appear Windows 9 (XP 3) is out.

Also Game Developers wont push DX12 only Games for a while, as more than half the people still use Vista/7. So they miss out on a lot of sales.

11. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Are you serious????

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Are you imply that Windows 9 is going to be awful at launch and take nearly 2 years to get good?

And yeah maybe not DX12 only games but they will have DX12 support -- everything that ships on Xbox is going to be DX12 so the ports will be as well.

It does. In fact since I can remember, I think Windows 7 was the only OS that launched completely without a hitch -- other then the people crying about how Vista should have just been upgraded with all the changes for free.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  13. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Developers won't lose such huge audience just for the sake of DX12.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Hence the reason why I said "not DX12 only games". They will support DX12, along with 11, etc. The same way most of them do now. But all games post Xbox SDK launch will ship with 12 -- which is something that 11 and 10 never really had. Adoption of 12 is going to be significantly quicker due to that and the fact that DX11 hardware is capable of supporting most of DX12.

I know I'll be upgrading for it.

15. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    My bad...

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Um most of Windows 7's users are business users. In 2012 Windows 7 finally overtaken XP as top dog in market share. So MS has to appeal to their demographic as far as market share goes which is windows 7. So it has taken a while for Business users go from Xp to 7.

17. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    "The combined Phone/Tablet SKU of Threshold won't have a Desktop environment at all, but still will support apps running side by side"

...and in the very next bit of information...

"One of Microsoft's primary missions with Threshold is to try to undo the usability mistakes made with Windows 8 for those who prefer and/or are stuck with devices that are not touch-first and for which keyboard/mouse use is of central importance."

...does anyone see the fatal flaw with this? it's a direct contradiction. how are they going to fix my usability issues by TOTALLY banning the desktop environment??? how does this in any way solve the problem? idc if it's touch first. I can connect a smartphone to my smart tv and a keyboard. I want a desktop option on every single device (start menu I really don't care about). that said, I am excited. I am sure it will be an improvement in many ways just as 8/8.1 were over 7... as long as I can still find ways to do what I need to do. and as long as it looks pretty lol.

18. Rexob

Rexob Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 870m 3gb
    For years my business used XP and we finally had to upgrade to 7 since MS dropped XP. 7 looks, feels, and operates almost identical to XP. 8 changed EVERYTHING, now I realize it's not awful, and use it at home. However, for a business - changes like that are a massive headache.

I'm not interested in how inefficient the Start menu actually is, what is important is that the business NOT interrupt daily productivity trying to learn a new OS. My work uses tablets for mobility and convenience, but when we're at our desks - we use dekstops and do not want a "hip new metro" look.

19. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    At work, we'll be sticking with Win7 for many years to come.
    I'm only just weaning the last XP users off their OS.
    The company I work for did take their sweet time migrating to 7, but that is their own fault.
    Many companies I know started to get Win7 validated during the Public Beta phase, they knew, we all knew, it was 7 that was going to replace XP.

Win8 in its current form will never replace Win7.
    once I explained that the whole workforce would have to go on a course to learn how to use Win8, including me, they looked a little shocked.
    They hadn't thought of this.

Personally, I'll be staying on Win7 at home, hoping that game devs remember that OpenGL 4 exists, and that the whole world doesn't revolve around Microsofts bloated arse.
    I really only have Windows because the majority of Games are available, only, on it.
    I think i'll be installing Linux this summer, and playing with that a bit more.

Anyone I know who had a problem going from XP to Win7 or Win8, went to Ubuntu.
    Microsoft won't be winning those people back. ever.

Microsoft is dying, its had its time.
    It was nice while it lasted, but they got too cocky, and too sure of themselves.
    "Thanks for everything, but don't let the door hit your arse on the way out..."

20. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    yep. it's almost like Microsoft is forcing us to sit down all day ; ; ... why would they ever think it's a good idea to totally ban a desktop environment on tablets.