Windows Store updates for Photos, Mail, etc, suddenly starting failing to install...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro v1703 Build 15063.608 but just in the last couple of days, without having changing anything on my PC except for an NVIDIA driver update from v385.68 to v385.69 and some new Steam game downloads, several of the main apps for Photos, Skype, Films & TV and Mail/Calendar have started to fail.

The error codes are 0x80073CF0 and 0x80073CF9.

The odd thing is that the Store itself updated fine yesterday (to what looks like a new colour icon) and the Microsoft To-Do app just updated a few minutes ago. I even installed the Forza Motorsport 7 demo a few days ago without any issues. However, those four apps refuse to update.

Anyone know what those error codes mean or how to fix this please? Thanks.

P.S. The Store troubleshooter reveals no issues.

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    You got the store update? I believe that was only for the insiders?

Source:
    https://mspoweruser.com/windows-store-rebranded-microsoft-store-windows-10/

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well, I'm an Insider, hence why the v385.68 drivers stealth installed on my PC last week, but I've selected to only install early updates.

What I've tried so far...

Disk Clean-up
    sfc /scannow (reports no errors)
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (reports no corruption)
    wsreset.exe

Photos, Skype, Mail and Calendar and Films & TV apps still refuse to update.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Probably the problem is with the new store update...i guess you have to wait for a fix.

5. warlord

warlord Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 390X MSI(1080/1500)
    Same thing happened here since 2 days ago it started for me. Wait for new Insider build it will get fixed on its own.

6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Just got the same problem today when Store tried to update.

Im not an insider. 1703.15063.608 build.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks guys. Nice to know that I’m not alone with issue.

Tut, Microsoft, eh? These mandatory updates are a pain when they break stuff.

8. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 Dual X
    As an insider I've been having some update problems for about 5 builds now. First it was the Xbox Live in-game experience app that kept failing to update. 2 builds ago that stopped but then it was the Xbox app proper that wouldn't update. With this latest current build, Xbox still won't update, and now Photos isn't updating either.

Wait, scratch that, within the past hour or so the Photos app finally updated. Xbox still won't though. I reported it, but I'm not too up in arms about it because I never use the app.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 980Ti Amp!Ext
    me too..

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Report on the feedback hub :). Same here.

Mandatory updates have before a necessity for Microsoft. If opt in, people will never update, use the expression 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', then complain when they have issues. If opt out, it gives power users the opportunity to choose. However, cohesiveness wise it makes things much more difficult, and you shouldn't opt out off things like security updates. Main issue is people read online misinformation and apply it, or use some dodgy tweak program twack that either sets it automatically or misreports what the tweaks actually do. That said though, updates shouldn't break things, it's possibly related to the imminent release of Autumn Creators Update. Stupid name for it since it's only autumn in the northern hemisphere, and Creators Update (1703) was released in autumn in the southern hemisphere. How stupid is that?! In any case, wonder if the latest fast ring is affected by this? Changes to fast ring builds are applied where appropriate to the skip ahead branch, but skip ahead is currently a couple of builds behind.

11. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X Sli
    Same issue, also an insider but only on the Preview ring, odd how yesterday Photos managed to update, but Skype and Movies and TV refuse to update. Amazing to have issue so close to release date.

Skype installed now Movies & TV still has issues

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  12. warlord

warlord Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 390X MSI(1080/1500)
    Well I did nothing and it fixed on its own after some restarts/days. I guess the problem is with their servers and the way they deliver packages to each one of us separately.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    I think they fixed it? Anyone can confirm?

14. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X Sli
    Nope Movies & TV still refuses to update

15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Yeah the problem still exists...what is happening.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Mail hasn't been updating for me on builds 16296 and 299.

17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    yeah mail and calendar fails.

18. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Seems like Microsoft fixed it.
    [​IMG]

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yeah, I can confirm that all my apps, including the stubborn Mail and Calendar, have now all updated. I had to upgrade to Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 to download Forza Motorsport 7 though, where is currently at 43 GB of 95. I hope it doesn’t error out and restart from the beginning again... I’m on a slow 14 Mbps connection so it’s taken 10 hours to download that much.

Not got much chance of playing it today really. I bought it to play on PC on the 29th and while I did get to play it then it was on my Xbox One. The console is very good but the PC version looks so much nicer with 4K textures, higher LODs and much crisper image quality.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Looks like it is the turn of the Xbox app this week to get stuck in Installation Limbo as it has been showing as a failed download in the Store since the early hours of Sunday morning for me. Error code is 0x80073CFB.

Anyone else getting this? I presume it is the same kind of issue that prevented Skype and Mail and Calendar from updating a week or so back.