1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows security - the no defender, no AV software approach

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Feb 4, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    From FP thread carrying discussion over to here. I guess there are a few people who think they are completely secure if they are just careful and 'in control' of their PC, that they will be totally immune to any threats that may exist in the wild. I might understand their confidence if applied to Windows 10, where its security may be the tightest in any OS to date, but was bemused to see this 'in-control-nothing-can-happen-to-me' philosophy being applied to all OS's over the last 20 years :D.

How many of you follow this approach today and are you totally comfortable with no defender, no AV software, just the 'I am smart and in control' approach? Has anyone done this in Win 95, 98 and XP days? Those OS's had horrible security back then and some (XP) were breached just by being connected to the net with no user input (sasser worm) at all.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I dont mind no av etc, but good firewall is still why I use 3rd party av, e.g. nod32 security. I don't trust MS firewall all the way.

3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Im just using the Windows Defender & Ublock origin in Mozilla, nothing else.

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    I'm using no windows defender, ublock origin and I scan for malware every couple of months.

Seems to work better than a bloated piece of sh*t anti-virus program that slows down the whole computer.

ikdzero likes this.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It does? Whenever I benchmark my system/gpu I never saw anything slowing it down. My scores were on par if not even better compared to similar systems.

6. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    Basically impossible to not be compromised at some point, even if you're super-duper-careful about what you install, where you go online, and what you connect to your machine (devices wise). This is excluding the potential for someone other than you to use the computer and connect things. (Which we all know often happens, HEH)

It's not unheard of for software updates to be compromised, and certainly not unheard of for sites to be hijacked. Happens all the time (eg, CCleaner which tons of people use), and even in MMORPG's (such as happened in RedMoon Online, malware through the game update channel -- woohoo). Admittedly in the case of RedMoon, the company did get their update server under control, studied the dropper, found what it installed, distributed a remedy (removal tool), and compensated people.

--Literally you could never read email on a machine, never browse the web, and just play a single game. All that doesn't matter if the game itself becomes compromised or the distribution network. So, unless the goal is to shut yourself off from the world and to be a hermit playing single player games (without no online activation), yeah risk is always going to be present...

Good use practices will help, yet that'll only get you so far. They're not going to protect you when the means of distribution is through something you're assuming to be safe. Of course, an AV may not protect you, may not remove malware, and may not detect it all. ... Yet having an early warning sign of infection is better than just assuming you're not.

-I personally use MBAM, SAS, and Avira together (do all my webbrowsing and email from Linux in an isolated VM). If any signature is found (non heuristic), I rollback if I can pinpoint the cause and or nuke-everything.

NOTE: I played RedMoon and got malware through the update-server, yep saw that firsthand.

G*addict and alanm like this.
  7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Avira tends to eat up around 300mb ram even in the background.
    Avast around 350mb and 290mb in silent mode.

None of which I want to permit on my crippled 6gb laptop with an HD 3000 who could use that memory.

8. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    Shared memory and 6GB (ouch). I'm guessing motherboard-soldered too with no chance of upgrade right?

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    I actually have no idea, even so i'm not looking into changing the motherboard. If the need arises for some new performance I will upgrade eventually. For now Intel HD 3000 seems to be pleasantly doing its work well enough.

When I had my GTX 970 I realized that I didnt need a 330 euro GPU to play Left 4 Dead 2, Warcraft 3 and Team fortress 2.

Its a sony vaio sve151d11m, if anybody would know that would be nice.

10. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Simple, I run wide open and have ever sense XP now on W10. I'm very much not careful, I once got a virus I allowed my girl friend to install a shareware so she could listen to her music. I just reformatted it, if I get one now I make sure my stuff is already backed up. Re-fomat rinse wash repeat, I don't really keep anything on my computer I can not live with out nor do I work on my computer(I do live on it). I also upgrade my hardware often and do a fresh install then.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    Well I can easily lose everything on my PC and not lose any sleep over it, since fully backed up. But I do have vital data, ie, passwords, credit cards, bank details, etc that I often need to access on a daily basis on the PC. Although comfortable with my habits in safeguarding such data, I cannot proceed on the premise that I am fully, absolutely 100% safe all the time in protecting such data from being copied or falling in the wrong hands. I can NEVER underestimate what can be or not be done in this area and what impact it may have on me. Much prefer to sleep easier each and every night with an extra layer of protection.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've been abit AV phobic ever people used the term Norton Anti-Ram, so probably 10-12 years.

Since then it's either been nothing, or whatever was built into the OS. At one point i remember running a manual scan, but the software was uninstalled afterwards.

Nowadays i'm pretty comfortable with Defender, and think the last i had a virus was many years ago, it may have not even been in this decade.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Running Sophos on my Arch main rig, and having the paranoia set to insane levels! ;)
    On a serious note, having the sensible information out of my main rig, stashed in a gap computer.
    For Windows partition running Sophos also, and a lot of security tweaks.Even so, I am aware of the odds of being infected.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    While i agree AV have gotten bloated and resource heavy over the years, I rather be safer then sorry, beside most computers these days should have more then enough ram to spare these days, laptops/notebooks etc being the exception

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Running W10 Defender / firewall and that's it. Occassionally a manual scan with MalwareBytes.

Used to use AVG with W7 but prefer not to use any 3rd party AV as W10 has Defender (plus AVG became bloatware).

I have had viruses or malware on my system but each time I could... ahem... know exactly where they came from.
    (software cracks to temporarily bypass trial period -> must disable AV for crack to run - > wasn't a crack at all but installed malware).

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, those are the ones that you are 50/50 about but depending on your current level of patience, you may or may not take a risk.

Even then, there is online AV that can scan individual files.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeh, was being impatient and paid the price, lols.

Edit: removed

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  18. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX460
    well I don't use AV for years without issues maybe only make use of sense when surfing on net and my 2 hidden friends are Windows Firewall and Adguard Premium only my 2 cents ;):D

19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, and thinking back as it's been a while, but I'm sure most of these online scanners throw up 50/50 positive/negative results due to the nature of certain files.

20. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I run nothing.

GSDragoon likes this.