Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Xxscott64xx

Xxscott64xx Guest

GPU:
    R7 240 2gb
    Hi can anyone help me especially the dev i accidentally clicked the unhide all how do i revert it?

2. Xxscott64xx

Xxscott64xx Guest

GPU:
    R7 240 2gb
    Please anyone?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why do you want to revert that?

Anyway I guess you can revert a power plan back to default state through Windows Control Panel.
    ... or powercfg.exe. But I am not sure the visibility of the settings is affected by such solution.

HK-1 likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not to worry, the next time windows does its annual reinstall-update it'll revert all that XD

5. Xxscott64xx

Xxscott64xx Guest

GPU:
    R7 240 2gb
    Tried it nothing worked i want to revert it cause i can be clumsy sometimes and make mistakes and break my pc

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can relax, this thing (you did) can`t break your PC.

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I just noticed key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\b000397d-9b0b-483d-98c9-692a6060cfbf", description "@%SystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-1234,Specifies the performance level increase threshold at which the Processor Power Efficiency Class 1 processor count is increased (in units of Processor Power Efficiency Class 0 processor performance)."
    Is not displaying proper description or values for each plan. double-clicking on it does bring up the proper reg key.
    Maybe because they use a 255 value.

Also this one. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\f8861c27-95e7-475c-865b-13c0cb3f9d6b"

I just went through all keys of the app and only those two above show this issue.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    App does not use registry to obtain the information (plans, settings, descriptions, units, etc). If something goes wrong in API functions calls the setting misses the info.

I should check in debug session what exactly goes wrong... Maybe there is workaround...

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The only common thing I noticed while checking reg is the 255 key child of that main key. but you say you don't read reg directly so who knows.It does have a crazy high value in the child key "255" setting value = 32323232
    Glad you found an easy fix.

Edit, while you fixed the description, info and all I still have no values in lower pain for the power plans.

This is one of those class 1 power options and my CPU is old but I still think it should display a value, see if you see the values for the plans on your end.
    As it stands I think we should see a value of 255 for all power plans (three defaults).

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you go to Windows own advanced power plan settings dialog you will see that it does not allow to select value for these two settings. It shows a value but if you click there you will not see a combobox control (a drop-down) to select one value from several values.

There are two types of power plan settings - ranged and enumerated.
    Ranged setting defines minimum, maximum and step values (and units).
    Enumerated setting defines a set of possible values.

These two failed settings are reported like enumerated ones but when app tries to get a set of possible values it gets an error.

If you compare them with another enumerated settings in registry you will see that all other settings have one child key per one possible value, and the child key contains a value "SettingValue" which usually equals to the child key name.

PS Also these failed settings have one possible value - so even if they would showed up without problems, you could not change the setting value.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    apparently QuickCPU exposes all of the power plan settings in a configurable way without having to enable their presence in the registry, by name of setting and setting value.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You like to speak in riddles.

theoneofgod likes this.
  14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Right, they seem to be enumerated but with only one key, normal you would have multiple key values to pick.
    I should have checked the window power plan by adding those two and seeing what happens there.

Anyway, maybe it not finished on MS side.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    that pick doesn't show anything, I doubt that app will show values to these two options under CPU management.

Processor performance level threshold change for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1 processor count change

Processor performance level decrease threshold for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1 processor count decrease

If you have it installed.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I think I solved the mystery.

Here is the function in use for enumerated power settings:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...rof/nf-powrprof-powerreadpossiblefriendlyname
    Code:
    DWORD PowerReadPossibleFriendlyName( HKEY RootPowerKey, const GUID *SubGroupOfPowerSettingsGuid, const GUID *PowerSettingGuid, ULONG PossibleSettingIndex, PUCHAR Buffer, LPDWORD BufferSize );

where PossibleSettingIndex - The zero-based index for the possible setting.

My code always starts to enumerate possible values of enumerated settings from PossibleSettingIndex = 0. And if we look into registry we see that enumerated power plan settings registry keys contain children keys for all possible values - with names "0", "1", ... So we can assume that these children keys` names are indexes to use in API functions.

But these two failure settings have only one child key - "255", so we can assume that to get that possible value through API function my code should call it with PossibleSettingIndex = 255. This value of 255 probably means "-1" for BYTE value. Kinda hack from MS.

Now question is do we actually need to display one possible value for these failure settings? I can show it but as I said earlier there is no way to change the value for both settings.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

it does, it shows everything to the capabilities of the windows version it is run on.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yeah, I don't think it matters with only one value, I didn't mean to waste time on these, I should of looked closer to what would be available values.
    I think it's fine to leave it for now unless MS changes things.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    So QuickCPU is a program.

Now could you explain this part?