Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. gregoire

gregoire New Member

GPU:
    1050TI
    Sorry for the time I took to reply. Indeed, that's what I was looking for ; on my computer, 99% of the power options are hidden. I did uncheck every rows that was set as "hidden" in your utility but "apply" stays greyed out. That being said, when I re-launch your software, everything is still unchecked, even if nothing has been unhidden in window's popup dialog. I'm on windows 10, I have a 2018 Dell XPS 15 9570. That's really weird...
    I succeeded editing what I wanted to edit (my computer used to get into sleepmode while in video-playback) by downoading a reg file but I'm still interested if you have any clue on what could be happening here.

Thanks

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Utility doesn`t need "apply" button to hide/unhide settings.
    I have no clue either. Utility uses Win API functions to enumerate and to hide/unhide settings, so from Win API point of view settings were unhidden successfully.
    There is way to hide/unhide settings from command line with the help of powercfg.exe. Interested to experiment?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  3. gregoire

gregoire New Member

GPU:
    1050TI
    I also downloaded a cmd file that had lots of power options to unhide and it didn't work neither. That's strange. I'm wondering if it'd work if I do it manually with the cmd but unhiding every settings one by one... well, this sounds like a pain in the a...

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I wonder if some OEM laptops makers have the ability to lock some power plan options out. I know they make there own optimized ones many times.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I have never seen locked power plan setting. User can create any number of power plans, but all of them will have the same set of settings (available for changing).

PS And to introduce new power setting OEM have to implement it in BIOS and in some power management driver (module).

6. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Why did it take until now until I see this? :D

Nice tool, very handy. Thank you very much!

Tiny_Clanger likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    "Use it well" :cool:
    A hint: go to my profile page and select "Information" tab. May be there you will find something useful for you.

386SX likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @gregoire

Command (in elevated command prompt) "powercfg /Qh" prints all hidden settings. And command "powercfg /Q" prints all visible settings.

Tiny_Clanger likes this.
  9. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    @mbk1969 is the link in post no1 for the latest version? Thanks for the info in the post above :)

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Yes. There were no different versions of this tool. (Except for one guru with Win7.) I just fixed the code, and re-uploaded zip-file.

Tiny_Clanger likes this.

11. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Yep.

PS Hey, wait a minute... You both share a whole word in your account name... (Sherlock mode on!) Relatives?

13. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Yeah its me mate:). A member of staff said something to me and for the first time in a bloody long time i kept my gob shut and just asked them to close my account. I wasnt banned as it says. Trouble is Clanger account is still partially active and Tiny was a clanger too. :) Its why i am recommending this utility, i know itza goodun :cool:

mbk1969 likes this.
  14. lightzoo

lightzoo New Member

GPU:
    R9 270 2048
    Very cool.

15. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    If you have selected Ultimate Performance plan and disabled idle saver, that's it right? There are no other performance settings, that would affect processor performance right? I have intel.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    P-states, C-states, core parking, autonomous mode (if supported) - that`s all for CPU.

On my rig with SkyLake-X CPU the hardware P-states - autonomous mode - are in use. But ACPI is implemented (in BIOS) in such way that I can`t switch autonomous mode on/off by the power plan.

Other things affect processor performance though. Like how many processes (services) are running on background, how many devices are in use (the more devices the bigger impact on CPU).

17. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    Yeah that's the thing, i used Ultimate performance mode with disabled idle saver and frequency, or load wasn't dipping with c-states on. Still i have feeling mouse is sluggish with c-states on. What is autonomous mode btw ?

And i was asking more if there aren't any other hidden cpu power profile settings, that would affect performance, so you say there are not ? I found large list on github and tried to google these and it seems they were already set on highest performance, since i am using Ultimate power performance plan, so it makes sense.
    https://gist.github.com/Nt-gm79sp/1f8ea2c2869b988e88b4fbc183731693
    I initially didn't know about ultimate power plan and idle saver, so i wonder if there are any more hidden power plan settings, that could affect cpu performance.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/examining-intel-skylake-speed-shift-more-responsive-processors

Speed Shift mode is called "autonomous" in power plans.

I don`t know. Power settings explorer operates only on settings returned by Windows API functions.