Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I use only two plans - performance and balanced. I do not delete the third one but there are people who like to delete unused things.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yeah, I use a modified balanced plan and an HP one.
    I believe some laptop makers add/limit specific power plans.

3. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    @mbk1969 I do have 1 suggestion, Hide All/Unhide All button. :) going to be giving this a go on the same hardware with windows 7 soon :)

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Be aware that on Win7 utility can only hide/unhide settings.
    "Hide all" feature is strange one. But "Unhide all" I can do.

Clanger likes this.

5. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Ahh, ok :) 7 doesnt need as much help as 10 but every little helps.

Unhide all is good enough, thank you :)

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Btw, I can write script which will inhide all settings with the help of powercfg.exe. I will try (right now at work) and if I will succeed I will post it here.

Clanger likes this.
  7. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Tool works good enough as it is so add it to your todo list when you have other changes to make. :)

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It`s ok. We are not working (programming) 100% of time at work.

Clanger likes this.
  9. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    as you prefer :)
    people on other forums get very demanding with free stuff, i say be damn grateful and be patient. :)

10. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Could you give me a sample entry and location so i can write a simple bat/cmd to unhide them in w7 please and i will share it here :)

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I failed to implement bat-file because powercfg.exe (1) outputs not all settings, and (2) outputs a lot of unneeded descriptions.

Here is - specially for you - new version of utility with dedicated button "Unhide all" (in lower right corner)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/wt37sbsejk7iepm/PowerSettingsExplorer.zip/file

BetA and Clanger like this.
  12. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Thank you and it works :)
    Another observation. Ive run that on this 17" 4.3 monitor, the other is a 24" screen. Even on this screen the values box in the botton left hand corner seems a bit tucked out of the way with a lot of space doing nothing. How about moving the Hidden column so the order goes - Group - Setting - a new column for Plan name and values - Description. Makes the columns resizable as needed and you gain that extra dead space below and can make good use of a wider screen.
    Just a thought :)

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It is not possible with the current UI framework (WinForms): different settings have different type of values - some are range values, some are enumeration values - so I can`t set the type of the column for the values.
    It is only possible with another UI framework (like WPF or some Web-oriented).

Clanger likes this.
  14. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    And another thing: we have several power plans so we should show several rows for each setting - a row per power plan. Yes? Imagine the clutter...

PS And another thing - editing of values is not possible on Win7...

Clanger likes this.

16. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
  17. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    They should be in Control Panel - Power Options as long as a user makes notes. Will fiddle around once i got 7 up n running, be a few weeks yet. :(

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Editing of the values was not intended initially - tool should show all settings and give opportunity to unhide them in the Control Panel. But since I greatly despise the design of advanced power plan options dialog I decided to implement editing too. But later I discovered that Windows 7 lacks one or two API functions thus disabling the editing.

Subbotin.andrey91 and Clanger like this.
  19. gregoire

gregoire New Member

GPU:
    1050TI
    Hi,
    I just signed up to thank you for this software ! It looks like the solution to my problem (currently on a 2018 Dell XPS 15 and I have something like 3 power options in the advanced power settings). But unfortunately, as I unchecked all the ''hide'' attributes, nothing changed even after a reboot. But when I launch your software again, all the ''hide'' checkboxes are still unchecked. So I'm puzzled... it didn't work but your software says that all the settings are unhided.
    Do you have any idea of what's happening ?
    Many thanks

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    1. No reboot needed.
    2. Were you looking for the settings in "Control Panel => Power Options => Change plan settings (link) => Change advanced power settings (link) => Power Options (pop-up dialog )" ?
    When my utility shows a check in "hidden" column for the power option it means that this power option is hidden in that (last in chain) pop-up dialog.
    3. If you are on Windows 8 or 10 then you can edit power options right in my utility. Just do not forget to click "Apply" button after the editing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019