Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    Higher means less likely to go down to lower C-states.
    Depending on CPU, you don't need them for Intel CPU starting from 6th gen, AMD CPU starting from Zen2 desktop.
    Have you checked overlay settings? Or gamemode settings? Using these powercfg commands to find out:
    Code:
    :: Max performance overlay
    powercfg /qh overlay_scheme_max
    :: Gamemode
    powercfg /queryprofile scheme_balanced profile_gamemode
    powercfg /queryprofile overlay_scheme_max profile_gamemode

sifer likes this.
  2. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    To be honest, I don’t understand what these settings are. Game mode in Windows is always turned off, and I don’t use overlays, I have a second screen for monitoring for this, but of course, most likely you’re talking about a different overlay. The OS is configured, nothing extra in the background is affected, if that’s what you’re talking about.

3. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    You can create a custom plan from balanced, then change "Power Scheme Personality" and see if there's any difference.

4. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    If you change the balanced one, then everything is fine, you can build it individually for yourself. But due to the features of the 12-14th generation i7-i9, or rather turbo boost for one or two selected cores, the so-called TB3.0, it works best, almost perfectly, on the default settings. Of course, not all settings negatively affect it, but the main important ones, such as core parking, changing heterogeneous policies, and others, worsen this TB3.0 or make it impossible. I see this perfectly well, and I don’t even need to see the frequencies, I know my voltage/frequency curve by heart and I determine by the voltage whether it has crossed the 5500Mhz limit or not, when the voltage jumps above 1.256V. 5500/1.256 5600/1.274 5700/1.318 5800/1.336V. I agree, not the best gift from the silicon lottery)) All TVB optimizers are disabled, now they do not interfere, I know my system thoroughly. As for the high and maximum, they give stutters in the RDR2 snow scene benchmark (I wrote above) and gain fewer frames in the Shadow of Larka benchmark, this is especially visible at the beginning of the last scene when the camera descends from the mountains to the rural market, when the video card is minimally loaded. No changes in the settings of the high and maximum plan will correct this, even complete duplication of the settings in them from the balanced plan. I don’t know what this is connected with, but I clearly see it in 100% of cases, there can be no talk of any error or other conventions. Moreover, this happens with ANY settings in the BIOS, no matter stock, undervolt, processor overclocking, memory overclocking, xmp, jedec, fixed/dynamic voltage/frequency, different c-state, c1e, speedshift/speedstep, hypertrading on/off and much more. Balanced mode works perfectly in default.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    For 12/13th gen Intel try this, make a custom power plan from the balanced one and just set both the energy settings to 0.
    Processor energy performance preference policy,
    Subgroup / Setting GUIDs:
    54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 / 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863

Processor energy performance preference policy for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1,
    54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 / 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6864

Don't worry about parked core or min/max state, see if that works.
    As I find with Intel 12/13th it doesn't really perform better with parking disabled but if your test in RDR2 is good use the above custom as a baseline plan to edit further if needed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    https://store.steampowered.com/digitalgiftcards/

My Steam account display name is "mbk1969".

This value is about CPU in idle state: if idle percentage is lower than 95% then CPU will be moved to lighter C-state, otherwise CPU will be moved to deeper C-state.
    If your CPU stays cold under the game load then you can dsiable C-states completely - either in BIOS or through the power plan setting
    Code:
    Setting:
      Processor idle disable

Description:
      Specify if idle states should be disabled.

Subgroup:
      Processor power management

Possible values (index - hexadecimal or string value - friendly name - descr):
      0 - 00000000 - Enable idle - Enable idle states.
      1 - 00000001 - Disable idle - Disable idle states.

54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 / 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-2158492d58ad

That depends on CPU and motherboard. If your CPU supports autonomous mode (Intel SpeedShift technology) and that autonomous mode is enabled in BIOS then CPU uses so called hardware P-states, and those two power plan settings are not used. Also if your CPU has no autonomous mode and you disabled SpeedStep technology in BIOS then P-states are not used at all.

7. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    High performance stutter culprit found! For some reason I didn't pay attention to this parameter before. I looked for him for a long time, but he was always under my nose!
    CPU performance core standby software standby latency
    54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 / 97cfac41-2217-47eb-992d-618b1977c907
    By default, in balanced mode the value is “10”, and in high mode it is “1000”. I also set it to “10” in high and the stutters disappeared as if they never existed. And vice versa, in the balanced mode I set it to “1000” and microfreezes began to appear. I checked it with many tests, 100% match. I also tried the value "0" - STRONG friezes. Starting from “1” the friezes disappear, but from “1” to “8” there are problems with the TB3.0 - it accelerates very sluggishly. It seems that the best value is "10". Judging by the description, you might think that this is a timer for launching virtual hypertrading cores. But the most interesting thing is that disabling hypertrading does not solve the problem; the friezes are still at “0” and “1000”. It’s not clear to me what this parameter is, maybe it has nothing to do with hypertrading. Try the influence for yourself.

snight01 likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @pensioner600

Nothing to do with hyperthreading:
    //
    // Specify the anticipated execution latency at which a soft parked core can be
    // used by the scheduler.
    //
    // {97CFAC41-2217-47eb-992D-618B1977C907}

(from Windows API source file)

9. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    It was suggested from another resource that this parameter determines the speed at which the stream is removed from the parked state. If the Processor performance core parking min cores = 100 parameter, then parking is disabled and Processor performance core parking soft park latency does not affect any value. But why then is parking enabled by default, and Processor performance core parking soft park latency is as much as 1000??? This causes freezes. Didn't the developers think about this?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What stream? CPU core is in parked state.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't know why you are having issue with the stock HP plans with 1000 value, that is default.
    The way I read it is it is a timer value for when a soft parked core to be used (unparked) so higher value is more time. power saver =0, balanced =10 and HP are 1000 Microseconds.
    This is the first I think I haver heard anyone have problem with it. Is it only the game RDR2? or does it show in other Benchmarks like 3Dmark?

I would try setting bios to defaults just to see if it is not something you changed there, back up your current setting to a profile as most MB support that so you can go back easy to previous settings.

12. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    RDR2 and SOTTR. So far I’ve only tested them, then I’ll try something else. Disabling the parking of all cores in high performance mode has a very beneficial effect, there are no freezes anywhere, the frequencies are kept high, the voltage is switched by speedshift, TB3.0 works, the latency in Latensimon has decreased several times, I have never seen such a low latency.
    I never got to the red zone, and this was with a working Aida with many sensors. This has never happened before. It turns out that the main delays were caused by parking?
    Снимок экрана (654).jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  13. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    What source? I don't really think 10 microseconds matters for scheduling on a non-RTOS.

14. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    I just turned off core parking and forgot about it like a bad dream. Everything immediately improved and fell into place. Now the problematic parameter "Processor performance core parking soft park latency" is ignored. I really don't understand why parking isn't disabled by default at least in HP.

15. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    Because it is more likely to achieve single core boost with more loads concentrated on fewer cores.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    This ^
    Single threaded performance is better with parking but again probably depends on workload.

pensioner600
    Try CPU-Z in ST mode each way.

17. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    @pensioner600
    I stare at task manager for a long time and find a bit difference that the soft parked latency makes: from 0 to 1 there seems to be more even distribution of threads, quick backspacing in IME is laggy under high EPP value.
    fun fact: under low frequency, fewer cores may be smoother than more cores because of single core boost, despite the fact that more cores is theoretically more performant in throughput at the same power consumption level.

It is hard to describe how it actually work, but I can say it is somehow similar to lowering down core parking concurrency headroom threshold to 0 at high EPP.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  18. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    But for me it’s exactly the opposite. Without parking, TB3.0 has stabilized, before it was spread across the cores, but now it is more concentrated. Even in cpu-z, single thread has never been stable on any of my processors, but now holds the increased frequency more stable. Latencymon latency is now amazing. There is not even a hint of friezes in the games. A wonderful find, I would never have thought that MS could screw this up and hide this setting. There is no overclocking on the screen, standard 55/43, HP plan, parking disabled, speedshift works, voltage and consumption change depending on the load, c-state c0/c1/c6, speedstep disabled in BIOS, tvb disabled, undervolt along the curve. Everything works perfectly, the scores are excellent for stock frequencies. Снимок экрана (664).jpg

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Right, with CB2x there not an improvement with parked cores, I get a few points less in that particular test. Other tests that are more burst type parked cores gets tiny bit better.
    To be honest I don't get a big improvement from balanced to HP even with parking disabled in a MT type test, around 1-2% max.

So use whatever works best for your system, I am not sure why you get the results you do but if your system is stable run with what you find best.

20. pensioner600

pensioner600 Member

GPU:
    4090 GOS
    So what are the differences in the default of the balanced plan from HP? Quite insignificant, a few parameters that do not affect anything except the numbers in the monitoring. It's a completely different matter when parking is disabled. And the point here is not in benchmark scores, but in the huge delay in parking/unparking cores, which can affect the experience of use in powerful systems. By the way, respect to the developers of Process lacco, they found this error and disabled parking in their “exclusive” power plan. To tell the truth, this “branded” plan differs from HP in only one parameter, namely disabled parking))