Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why? Idleness is simple term without ACPI background.

PS I see a lot of confusion around C-states.

2. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    What confusion? Windows knows ACPI C-states but not hardware C-states.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And people only see hardware C-states in BIOS and in reporting/monitoring software. And first most common advice from tech "gurus" - disable C-states.

4. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    @mbk1969
    Do you know why pwrtest gives this error? I try with the one in latest WDK but still the same. I can't check P-states info.
    Code:
    Error: 0x1068, Error 0x00001068
            getCpuPerf: CpuInfoProcessor
            File=base\power\tools\pwrtest\exe\scenarioinfo.cpp Line=535

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only relevant info found:
    https://developerpublish.com/windows-win32-error-0x00001068-error_wmi_guid_not_found/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/system-error-codes--4000-5999-
    Code:

ERROR_WMI_GUID_NOT_FOUND

4200 (0x1068)

The GUID passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider.

If pwrtest.exe uses WMI to discover something then, probably, it can be monitored with prcomon.exe by monitoring the registry operations - if WMI info is stored in registry.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  6. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I tried this setting. Wasn't worth it. It seems like the latencies are reduced (latencymon observation), but my system got sluggish as soon as it began to park cores. They don't get unparked fast enough. You can see what I am talking about if you open up cinebench, let the system idle until cores are parked and then start cinebench. It takes ages until your system gets fast again. To describe it in numbers, in a single run r23 I went down from over 35000 points to something like 27000 points (14700k). That is massive and I guess that is what makes the system feel sluggish.

But then again I am on an almost untouched balanced power plan and I use the C-States and disabled speed shift because that way my system feels most responsive.

Chrysalis and mbk1969 like this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Obviously, maximum value for that setting is for gurus with core parking (and legacy P-states) disabled.

8. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I didn't expect anything else. But I wanted to share what happens if you don't disable core parking an P-states and use this "tuning".

Chrysalis likes this.
  9. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    Some notes for core parking on heterogeneous processors:
    concurrency/utility distribution/headroom thresholds don't work for efficiency class 1
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...on-options-for-heterogeneous-power-scheduling
    Core parking for efficiency class 1 cores is controlled by hetero increase/decrease thresholds, which are relative to efficiency class 0 performance, not utilization. At most you can let efficiency class 1 cores unpark when efficiency class 0 cores boost above base frequency.

mbk1969 likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Donduck

Can you not park cores in hybrid CPUs? Will E-cores/P-cores be used without core parking?

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    In Win11 there only one setting for control parked cores (Processor performance core parking min cores) the class1 setting doesn't do anything so how many cores is adjusted by the value set.

In Win10 both settings work to set E and P cores separately.
    Processor performance core parking min cores
    Processor performance core parking min cores for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    My question was about disabling any core parking - will all cores in hybrid CPU be used with disabled core parking?

PS I just have impression that E-cores will be utilized only with core parking enabled. Not that I have such CPU right now, I am just curious.

13. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    There is no causation between core parking and whether cores are used or not.

14. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    Did you test it again? How did you do the experiment?

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Sure, if you disable core parking all cores are still fully enabled.

Currently, Bitsum runs its BHP plan with no parking, all cores workload uses 100% utilization.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I set each settings to 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100% and check parked cores if any.The class 1 does nothing.

Processor performance core parking min cores
    Processor performance core parking min cores for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1

Windows seems to prioritize local cores first with value setting increased.
    Meaning on my 12600k a 65 values unparks approximately all logical cores and E cores.

17. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    I mean the difference you say between Windows 10 and 11, aren't they the same: class 1 count don't work.

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't know with current Win10 but when I ran Win10 (about 1 yr ago) both settings worked. you had control over E cores an P cores separately.
    At least that is what I have noted down, don't run Win10 anymore.

PS: I was on Win 10 22Hx I think.

Win10 also defaulted to "heterogeneous policy 4" compared to 0 in win11 for all plans except power saver which still 4.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  19. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    Do you keep all cores above base frequency? Because this would cause Windows to keep unpark all efficiency class 1 cores with default hetero increase/decrease thresholds.

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I assume you mean Minimum processor state which I use stock 5 value on my daily use custom balanced plan.
    I never messed with the hetero increase/decrease thresholds.

My idle freq is 1000mhz but that is because I have the energy values set closer to HP plans but that has nothing to do with parking settings.If I still had stock energy values as balanced plan my idle would be lower around 600mhz
    Processor energy performance preference policy=20

From what I remember Win10 had the E cores unparked and all P cores parked.
    Also in Win11 even in HP plan with freq high all cores are parked by default, well one or so will be unparked because of load..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023